Author Topic: natural primitive dining like a prince  (Read 1835 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
natural primitive dining like a prince
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=230x4805

Oh my.

One suspects the natural primitive reads conservativecave.

Naturyl  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-04-10 06:50 AM
THE NATURAL PRIMITIVE
Original message

I thank the universe or whatever might exist for food 

It's the beginning of the month, and my check is in, which means I'm eating. I have a frozen pizza in the oven, which smells like heaven and is an indulgence at the exorbitant price of $3.00. Weeks 2-3 it will be macaroni and cheese, and week 4 will be who knows what. This may very well be the month the local food bank comes into play - provided there even is one.

And yet, I still have it better than so many others. But rather than making me feel self-satisfied, this fact pains me. How is it that many people have it worse than I do in the world's richest nation? Why do we allow it? And even if all of us in America were doing okay, there would still be the third world, where living conditions make mine look like the Waldorf-Astoria.

When will we learn to embrace humane values and resolve to care for all our fellow travelers on Spaceship Earth? When will we grow up?

Oh well. I'm off to eat some frozen pizza, which I am thankful this primitive world allows me.

elocs (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-04-10 07:31 AM
Response to Original message

1. I understand what you are saying, but even for $3 I could do a whole lot better than frozen pizza and it would be more nutritious. I am on food assistance and I know how to stretch a dollar for meals. I know how to cook some basic meals and don't often eat processed foods. I can make some hearty and good tasting meals and they had better be because I'll be eating them for a few days. I've got to say that I eat well and even if it is macaroni and cheese I will add tuna to it as well as some broccoli. I've had a frozen pizza in the fridge for a month and haven't touched it yet.

Yes, this nation needs to do a better job in feeding the hungry, but also in teaching them how to prepare healthy food for themselves.

peacefreak  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-04-10 07:43 AM
Response to Reply #1

2. While it is important to stretch our meger funds we still have to feed our souls. If a $3. pizza is giving OP a little joy, so what? I'm in a very tight situation also, but every once in awhile I just have to feel like every one else.

elocs (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-04-10 07:57 AM
Response to Reply #2

4. Like I said, I'm on food assistance and I have a frozen pizza in the freezer.

I could get a pizza every week, but I choose not to because to tell the truth it's not just that healthy for me. I make myself some very good food that not only feeds my soul in the eating of it, but also in the making of it. I don't feel deprived in any way in what I eat or choose to eat. Considering what and how most Americans eat, I don't want to feel like everyone else in that respect.

Naturyl  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-04-10 07:53 AM
THE NATURAL PRIMITIVE
Response to Reply #1

3. Frozen pizza is a treat. 

Early in the month, I treat myself to a $3 meal. Call me self-indulgent, I guess.

Later in the month, I eat whatever cheap crap is left in the cabinet. Because I am disabled and a "non-contributor," I don't deserve to eat luxurious, extravagant $3 meals all month long.

Ain't that the truth.

The natural primitive should go visit a certain obscure unterprimitiven, who's fixing up a great meal of cheap beans for the homeless.

elocs (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-04-10 08:04 AM
Response to Reply #3

5. Well, I'm on food assistance and I don't eat crap and don't have to eat crap.

I can eat pizza if I choose, but I choose not to because it's just not that good for me. I do have pizza once in awhile, but I don't consider it a luxury. I eat well and in no way feel deprived, but I can tell you that if choosing to eat pizza would force me to eat mac and cheese for weeks I think I would skip it.

There really is no excuse to eat crap.

peacefreak  (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-04-10 08:46 AM
Response to Reply #5

6. Good for you.

why be so judgemental? It is so hard to do without so many of the things that people take for granted. I feel like I am on the outside looking in, in so many ways. I applaud your ability for money stretching good nutrition, but how 'bout cutting the rest of us a little slack.

Hey, I'm only human. If i want that ring-ding, pizza, diet coke, bottle of wine, or whatever, who am I harming? Believe me, I know the rest of the month is going to be beans & rice, mac & cheese (from scratch), tuna (but that is getting very expensive). We are all just trying to get by the best we can.

elocs (1000+ posts)        Thu Feb-04-10 09:13 AM
Response to Reply #6

7. I'm not being judgmental, but there is no reason that a diet even on food assistance needs to be based on crap. Yes, I have pizza, soda, and other goodies, but in measure and my eating of them does not deprive me of eating good and satisfying and nutritional food the rest of the time. I eat a lot of beans and rice, but I know how to make tasty dishes out of them. I can get a low sodium box of mac and cheese for 50 cents and add a 79 cent (expensive?) can of tuna and along with some broccoli (I can usually get fresh broccoli here for under $1 a pound) and from that I can get at least 3 servings.

The bottom line is that I try to get along the best I can and I think I am doing it well without feeling deprived at all. It can be done, but it requires an effort. But if you choose to eat too much junk, then don't complain about what you have to eat the rest of the time. It's all about choices.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: natural primitive dining like a prince
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
I thought they tell us they are the smartest,most successful this country has and we should be in awe that they share their knowledge of governance with us.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 12:53:28 PM »
So, he is eating an entire pizza for one night's dinner?  Around here, you can get a large Little Caeser's pepperoni pizza for $5, and our local grocery store has the store brand large pepperoni pizza for sale for $5 most Friday's.  Seems that if he moderated his intake, that pizza could go a lot farther. 

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 01:03:44 PM »
So, he is eating an entire pizza for one night's dinner?  Around here, you can get a large Little Caeser's pepperoni pizza for $5, and our local grocery store has the store brand large pepperoni pizza for sale for $5 most Friday's.  Seems that if he moderated his intake, that pizza could go a lot farther. 

I seem to recall seeing a Domino's commercial during a football game recently where they were advertising two pizzas for $5.  Part of their "change in ingredients" promotion.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 01:11:03 PM »
I remember the local grocery store selling large square pizza, bigger than delivery large, 2 for $5, they were good too. That was a while back.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 01:56:29 PM »
THE NATURAL PRIMITIVE
Reminded me of this mail which I recently received....

Pictured below is a young physician by the name of Dr. Starner Jones. His short two-paragraph letter to   the White House accurately puts the blame on a   "Culture  Crisis" instead of a "Health Care Crisis".  It's worth a   quick read:

XXX       (I didn't feel like uploading the pic)                     

Dear Mr. President:
         During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had   the   pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.
        While glancing over her patient chart, I happened to notice that   her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.
        And, you and our Congress expect  me to pay for this woman's health care?  I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is  not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or  nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis   of culture",  a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance.  It is a culture based in the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me".
        Once you fix this  "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.
        Respectfully,
        STARNER JONES,  MD
You may check this out at  http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/starner.asp

This mail is generally applicable to most Dummy posts but I just happened to be here now.  :-)
Natch certainly was holding its own on the "I lost my mansion" cc call out thread.  Pam better watch her back this could become series competition. :lmao:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 02:12:19 PM »
I seem to recall seeing a Domino's commercial during a football game recently where they were advertising two pizzas for $5.  Part of their "change in ingredients" promotion.

I thought I would give them at try with the new ingrdients.   The box would probably still have tasted better.  I didn't bother requesting my money back, it was a big enough waste of time eating the darn thing. :pokingpoop:

Did anyone else grow up with Chef Boyardee pizza in a box?  When I was a kid that was high living.  Never had real pizza until I was a teenager :thatsright: talk about a shock!!

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 02:38:12 PM »
I thought I would give them at try with the new ingrdients.   The box would probably still have tasted better.  I didn't bother requesting my money back, it was a big enough waste of time eating the darn thing. :pokingpoop:

Did anyone else grow up with Chef Boyardee pizza in a box?  When I was a kid that was high living.  Never had real pizza until I was a teenager :thatsright: talk about a shock!!

Same here, it was just as bad. I kind of feel like a sucker for buying a known poor product.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 02:38:51 PM »
I remember that, Zeitgeist!  We'd make it at sleepovers, a real treat.  Pretty vile.  

I've had a large dose of Naturyl today, and don't think I can take much more.  His pity-poor-me two nickels to rub together with 24 days left to go in the month...his sacrificial dollar he gave to Haiti, his $8,600 annual income.  What about all the Great Society subsidies?  Subsidized section 8 HUD housing, food stamps, heating assistance, Medicaid, and of course the EITC.  All compliments of us.  

I hate to adopt a DUmmy recipe, but the mac & cheese with tuna and some chopped broccoli doesn't sound too bad.  He should also try a big pot of lentil soup with rice and ham.  Ham is cheap.  

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 02:45:12 PM »

I sure have!  That was a special occasion for sure.  I think you can still buy that.  Not that I would.  The crap my mom would end up loading on that....man.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
Damn stupid DUmmies.

This is going to be free

advice any moron can use

even DUmmies

I'll type slow so you can follow

GET.OFF.YOUR.LAZY.DEAD.ASS.
AND.GET.A.****ING.JOB....ANY.JOB

Problem solved, now you can eat. Any job will pay better than the assistance you get. Try it, it won't kill you.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:36:12 PM by Randy »

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 02:53:12 PM »
You mean "advice" instead of "advise" but the DUmmies won't have a problem with that, they'll never understand the red bolded parts though

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 03:38:46 PM »
You mean "advice" instead of "advise" but the DUmmies won't have a problem with that, they'll never understand the red bolded parts though

Stoopid spellcheckers  :uhsure:

I tried to speak their language, maybe I should try a different tact.

Hey DUmmies;

Job = more dope and munchie money.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 03:40:10 PM »
Hey DUmmies;

Job = more dope and munchie money.

They might understand that better. Maybe try pictures?

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 03:45:10 PM »
They might understand that better. Maybe try pictures?

I honestly think the whole problem with DUmbasses getting gainful employment is their complete and utter unwillingness to quit smoking pot long enough to pass a pre-employment dope test. They just won't stop for the 30 days so they can survive at anything above a sub poverty level.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 03:59:16 PM »
K DUmprats per FGL's idea here we go.

= more and better

& name brand not store brand

Capeesh?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:01:22 PM by Randy »

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 04:09:12 PM »
The DUmmy's are fond of saying that we are the richest country on Earth. I wonder if any of em have actually given it a thought as to how we came to be the richest.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 04:21:07 PM »
The DUmmy's are fond of saying that we are the richest country on Earth. I wonder if any of em have actually given it a thought as to how we came to be the richest.

They have, and they firmly believe it comes from government spending.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 04:32:25 PM »
They have, and they firmly believe it comes from government spending.

http://www.fireandreamitchell.com/2009/12/08/obama-we-must-spend-our-way-out-of-this-recession/

Obama – we must spend our way out of this recession
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 04:41:36 PM »

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2010, 04:45:15 PM »
We spent our way into this recession, I guess they figure we can spend our way out.  :mental:

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2010, 08:45:54 PM »

What a coincidence - I am eating Chef Boyardee pizza in a box for dinner tonight.  However, I do take it out of the box and cook it and add my own ingredients.  It is actually a good pizza. 

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2010, 10:32:06 AM »

What a coincidence - I am eating Chef Boyardee pizza in a box for dinner tonight.  However, I do take it out of the box and cook it and add my own ingredients.  It is actually a good pizza. 

So that's what I'm doing wrong. :lmao:

(haven't had a Chef in years but I do still make a killer Bisquick deep dish)

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2010, 12:32:04 PM »
So that's what I'm doing wrong. :lmao:

(haven't had a Chef in years but I do still make a killer Bisquick deep dish)

Actually, the crust mix that comes in the Chef Boyardee pizza in a box is really good and I take the pizza sauce and doctor it up a bit.  And then I add the other stuff on top.  My husband found the box once and that gave my secret away. 

:cheersmate:

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 12:33:01 PM »

I had never even heard og "Pizza in a Box" before.  I had to look it up.  Looks like it might not be too bad.