Author Topic: What Should Be The Tax Rate On War Profits?  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
What Should Be The Tax Rate On War Profits?
« on: February 28, 2008, 03:53:20 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2934852

ThomWV  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Feb-28-08 09:54 AM
Original message

Consider this, Exxon has its highest earnings ever, quarter after quarter after quarter. Our military, fully engaged in war, and the Air Force in particular, is our nations largest user of oil. It follows then that a great portion of Exxon's profit results from sales in support of our war.

So, what should be the tax rate on war profits? Should tax credits and rebates be given to war profiteers? Is paying the highest profits in the history of the world a proper use of our tax dollars?

Refresh | 1 Recommendations    Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

hobbit709  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Feb-28-08 09:56 AM
Response to Original message
1. 110% sounds about right to me.

Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
100% is what you would like to see everyone pay.

izquierdista  (580 posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Feb-28-08 11:39 AM
9. I'll go one step further

Nationalize the "defense" industry. Don't award a single contract and have everyone working on tanks, planes, bombs, and nuclear weapons work directly for the government. It wouldn't change things one bit, not in the rank and file anyway. They know who pays their salary -- Uncle Sam. It's just a different bozo named HalliburtonBechtelRaytheonFluor who shows up at contract time to sop up all the gravy.
:whatever:

leftofthedial  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Feb-28-08 11:40 AM
10. oil, defense, health care, utilities, transportation . . .

ALL strategic resources and social services should be nationalized and socialized.

fed-up  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Feb-28-08 12:55 PM
11. tax should be lifetime JAIL for ALL War Profiteers nt

Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: What Should Be The Tax Rate On War Profits?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 04:04:36 PM »
Didn't Rosie the Riveter earn women a place in the US economy increasing household profits and overall economic growth?

Damned feminist war profiteers!!!
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 04:31:29 PM »
ThomWV  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Feb-28-08 09:54 AM
Original message

I can think of at least two California Democrat Party Senators that would say no.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline jukin

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 04:52:08 PM »
 I wish the DUmp had been around when the Berlin Wall came down.  Oh my god the wailing and sorrow from them would be so delicious.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 04:58:42 PM »
I wish the DUmp had been around when the Berlin Wall came down.  Oh my god the wailing and sorrow from them would be so delicious.

Oh that would be something to see. They would go critical mass over it and produce an outburst of stupidity and hatrid that would dwarf Tsar Bomba in terms of explosive yield.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:00:29 PM by Attero Dominatus »
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 05:00:14 PM »

What do you think their longing for this country to become communist is a result of?

It's their despair over Ronald Reagan defeating "The Evil Empire"TM
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 05:16:08 PM »
leftofthedial  (1000+ posts)
 Thu Feb-28-08 11:40 AM

ALL strategic resources and social services should be nationalized and socialized.

And what? Be ran like the post office, jackass? Where a drop in usage means an increase in the product's cost? Where there are 3 managers for every 1 worker?

These people are ****ing idiots. The free market is the reason we have cell phones and the reason long-distance calls are but a fraction of what they were in the early 80's. Remember 25 cents a minute long distance?

The free market did that, not the government. These people really are dumb.  ...then again, they think Exxon's profits are going into the pockets of the CEO, COO, CFO, and CIO instead of padding 401K's, Mutual Funds, Stocks, and government pension plans. ...not to mention research and development for cleaner, safer, and more efficient ways and methods to extract and refine the product.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:18:04 PM by Rebel »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »
What Should Be The Tax Rate On The Income of Race Baiting Poverty Pimps?

Really, people who make a profit on the unnecessary continued poverty of their fellow citizens don't seem to pay any kind of price for it.  110% seems too low.

As for war profiteers, what about Skinner and the DUmp?  How much does he make in donations from the anti-war industry?  The anti-war industry depends more on war than any other industry I can think of.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 05:53:38 PM »

I just watched an 80s show on the History Channel where they showed the wall coming down. They didn't show the "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" part though.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 05:55:00 PM »
leftofthedial  (1000+ posts)
 Thu Feb-28-08 11:40 AM

Oookay.....whackjob alert....
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 05:57:55 PM »
What the primitives forget is that businesses have to work for money.

It's not given them on a silver platter.

As with the case of welfare benefits for the primitives.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 06:19:25 PM »
What the primitives forget is that businesses have to work for money.

It's not given them on a silver platter.

As with the case of welfare benefits for the primitives.

Frank, you being an accountant, I'd really like to hear your opinions on the Fair Tax. I have talked to a few accountants about it and they hate it. ....but in private they admit it's a selfish hate that's created by a survival mechanism (not in those words). Just wanted to know from our resident expert.  :-)
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »
leftofthedial  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Feb-28-08 11:40 AM

Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 06:33:57 PM »

I just watched an 80s show on the History Channel where they showed the wall coming down. They didn't show the "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" part though.

Here.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjWDrTXMgF8[/youtube]

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 06:39:17 PM »
Frank, you being an accountant, I'd really like to hear your opinions on the Fair Tax. I have talked to a few accountants about it and they hate it. ....but in private they admit it's a selfish hate that's created by a survival mechanism (not in those words). Just wanted to know from our resident expert.

Well, in theory, RebelKev, the FairTax is a great idea, a wonderful idea.

And in theory it would considerably reduce complicated paperwork and compliance.

Thus drying up the market for accounting services.

The problem is, once the politicians and special interests get involved, tacking on their loopholes and their gifts, it makes a mess of the FairTax.

As it is, I myself am wholly in favor of it.....but I'm not so sure we can prevent the likes of Vast Teddy from sticking their fingers into it, making a gooey mess of it.

Maybe after Vast Teddy retires, or kicks the (martini) bucket.

But as of right now, I'm nervous.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 09:31:30 AM »
Everything old is new again...

11. Abolition of incomes unearned by work. BREAKING OF THE THRALDOM OF INTEREST.

12. In view of the enormous sacrifice of life and property demanded of a nation by every war, personal enrichment through war must be regarded as a crime against the nation. We demand, therefore, the total confiscation of all war profits.

13. We demand the nationalization of all businesses which have (hitherto) been amalgamated (into trusts).

14. We demand that there shall be profit sharing in the great industries.

15. We demand a generous development of provision for old age.

16. We demand the creation and maintenance of a healthy middle class, immediate communalization of the large department stores and their lease at a low rate to small traders, and that the most careful consideration shall be shown to all small traders in purveying to the State, the provinces, or smaller communities.

17. We demand a land reform suitable to our national requirements, the passing of a law for the confiscation without compensation of land for communal purposes, the abolition of interest on land mortgages, and prohibition of all speculation in land.

18. We demand ruthless war upon all those whose activities are injurious to the common interest. Sordid criminals against the nation, usurers, profiteers, etc., must be punished with death, whatever their creed or race.

19. We demand that the Roman law, which serves the materialistic world order, shall be replaced by a German common law.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."