Author Topic: what really happened to the late red round one  (Read 15863 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Poll: How Many Remember?
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 12:08:27 PM »
Someone can help me out here, but my understanding of the Dougs Ex wife Scandal was that she started a fund raiser for a guy named Andy Stephenson who was supposedly dieing of pancreatic cancer and needed $50,000 for the surgery at Johns Hopkins. It was found out that Andy was actually covered by Medicare and actually could have had the same surgery at any other hospital. He insisted on going to Hopkins who for some reason didn't take Medicare. He had the surgery and died soon after anyway. There  is alot more to it but that is my cursory understanding of the whole thing!

To complicate matters even further, AS was employed by Bev Harris at one point, whose insurance didn't cover him.  It is much more intricate that that simple sentence, maybe someone else who has time can elaborate.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2009, 12:25:21 PM »
To complicate matters even further, AS was employed by Bev Harris at one point, whose insurance didn't cover him.  It is much more intricate that that simple sentence, maybe someone else who has time can elaborate.

OTOH, he had perfectly good state-sponsored health care (Washington state has very liberal rules about qualifying and where you can use it). Had his primary care doc just given him a referral to JH the fundraiser would've been unnecessary. Of course, it also might've helped if his life partner would've paid for lifesaving surgery instead a new toilet and a fresh coat of paint on the bathroom walls.

Cindie

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 12:52:05 PM »
Oh my.

My esteemed friend and role model USA4ME is correct; the story isn't something that could be shortly described.

Damn.  It was never anything it appeared to be.

Our biggest mistake was in assuming Doug's ex-wife and her disciples (the late red round one had virtually nothing to do with it, and was just a cameo) thought along sane and rational lines, like decent and civilized people do.

We forgot to remember that Doug's ex-wife is not only stupid, but nuts, and her own line of thinking zigs, zags, jumps, detours, disconnects, leaps, falls, at random, no logic or reasoning to it at all.  Just random.

The effects of too many mood-altering pharmaceuticals, one reasonably assumes.

I'm not making any promises, but I'll "think" about trying to compress the story down to less than a thousand words during the next few days.  But I'm not promising. 
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 01:06:30 PM »
If you Google AS's name, you can find some pretty kooky conspiracy theories about his death.  Apparently his death was brought about by a massive coordinated effort by the "Bush right-wing."

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 01:34:37 PM »
Oh my.

My esteemed friend and role model USA4ME is correct; the story isn't something that could be shortly described.

Damn.  It was never anything it appeared to be.

Our biggest mistake was in assuming Doug's ex-wife and her disciples (the late red round one had virtually nothing to do with it, and was just a cameo) thought along sane and rational lines, like decent and civilized people do.

We forgot to remember that Doug's ex-wife is not only stupid, but nuts, and her own line of thinking zigs, zags, jumps, detours, disconnects, leaps, falls, at random, no logic or reasoning to it at all.  Just random.

The effects of too many mood-altering pharmaceuticals, one reasonably assumes.

I'm not making any promises, but I'll "think" about trying to compress the story down to less than a thousand words during the next few days.  But I'm not promising. 
I may have alot of the "scam" chit on some old CDs....I'll try to find them...
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 02:53:30 PM »
I had a ton of information form the old scamdy site, including the document scans - when I went to rebuild my computer, I deleted it all because I feel then (as I feel now) that the persons involved were not worth the waste of space.

The whole notion is ridiculous.

I don't say any of this to lessen AS as a person - a person with an illness that more often than not kills its host - but the circus put on around him was the most idiotic display of faux chivalry in the history of the intertubes. Most people do not love AS at the DUmp, what they loved was the artificially generated cause and call to rally.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 02:57:20 PM »
I had a ton of information form the old scamdy site, including the document scans - when I went to rebuild my computer, I deleted it all because I feel then (as I feel now) that the persons involved were not worth the waste of space.

The whole notion is ridiculous.

I don't say any of this to lessen AS as a person - a person with an illness that more often than not kills its host - but the circus put on around him was the most idiotic display of faux chivalry in the history of the intertubes. Most people do not love AS at the DUmp, what they loved was the artificially generated cause and call to rally.
Googling scamdy will turn up many links and hours of reading on the subject.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 03:10:50 PM »
Apparently his death was brought about by a massive coordinated effort by the "Bush right-wing."

Well, of course.  When you've got one playbook and one play, then you have no choice but to use it every time.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2009, 03:29:50 PM »
I may have alot of the "scam" chit on some old CDs....I'll try to find them...

Ah, madam, you would remember Barset of the DUmmie FUnnies.

Barset was great.

Barset was some overly-cerebral teenager of Jewish derivation posting as an upper-upper-middle-class mid-30s housewife with three children.  Far Rockaway, the Poconos, Grossinger's, the Hamptons, weekends in Connecticut, no posting from Friday night until Saturday night, the whole bit.

Barset was great.

Barset was used to make franksolich look stupid (on the DUmmie FUnnies), as it was to the advantage of all decent and civilized people that franksolich look stupid, in exposing this ridiculous charade.  Barset did a great job of that.

Barset was great.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »
There is a ton of info via googling. There's an exhaustive story with links and background on the koskiddie's site.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 03:40:27 PM »
There is a ton of info via googling. There's an exhaustive story with links and background on the koskiddie's site.

Oh yeah.

That nice guy on Skins's island whom the primitives never did find out who he was.

He was great, and I still salute him to this day with a grinning smile.

There were a lot of really good people involved in this endeavor, to expose fraud.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
Re: Poll: Memories of Scamdy
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »
OMG!! Frank....I found Amitychild's excel file.....I forgot a bunch of stuff
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2009, 04:54:36 PM »
OMG!! Frank....I found Amitychild's excel file.....I forgot a bunch of stuff

That's how we discovered Doug's ex-wife was using sockpuppets.

This is sort of the way I recall it:

Doug's ex-wife: Only three more days to go!  And we need more money!

sockpuppet #1: Yeah, yeah, I want to give!  How do I do it?

sockpuppet #2: Send it to his paypall account [after which link provided]!

Doug's ex-wife: But hurry, hurry, and do it right away!

sockpuppet #3: But what if I want to send cash or check or money order?

sockpuppet #4: Mail it to [after which mailing address given].

It was pathetic.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2009, 04:56:56 PM »

It was pathetic.

lol.

Maybe I will try that at freedomclub.proboards dot whatever it was while nobody else knows its there

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »
OMG!! Frank....I found Amitychild's excel file.....I forgot a bunch of stuff.

You know, madam, in late May 2005, I sent a $10 post office money order (so as to remain anonymous) for the cause, to the address Doug's ex-wife provided (which was in fact a legitimate, bona fide, address for the late red round one).

About two years later, I got curious, and checked it out.

The money order had never been cashed, and the post office considered it lost.

I took their refund, and mailed the ten bucks, plus ten more, to a Roman Catholic Church on a reservation in South Dakota, so they would have a Mass for commemoration of the late red round one's life, and for redemption of the late red round one's Eternal Soul.

(By the way, the late red round one died a repentant Lutheran.)

Doug's ex-wife didn't raise anything near $50,000, and I suspect that much of whatever little she raised, was actually from decent and civilized people on this side, who wrong-headedly wanted to do something "nice."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »
Me too.  I don't recall her in a "Scam that rocked the internet," the biggest scams I remember were Andyscam, the whole "Just ten dollars away" election fooforaw (which also involved Andy, and some woman whose name eludes me now), plus of course the whole Truthout fiasco. 

She was involved in all of it actually.  I got involved in the whole thing when CU became involved in the AndyScam stuff.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2009, 05:21:54 PM »
She was involved in all of it actually.  I got involved in the whole thing when CU became involved in the AndyScam stuff.

Oh now, sir, you're too young to be afflicted with old age.

I recall that you first were at the DUmmie FUnnies, but I'm not sure what brought you there.  You were new, and you were quite involved there too.

And it was you, sir, who steered me towards our old home, now remembered fondly except recently.  I was under the impression you were a long-timer there, but was surprised to learn no, you weren't. 

Think back, sir.  This was going on April 28-July 7, 2005.

I vaguely recall you were an active member of some other board, then came to the DUmmie FUnnies, and then went to our old home from there.  And as usual, sir, if I err, feel free to correct me.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2009, 05:50:48 PM »
I remember it well and the huge shitestorm that engulfed The Island when the Bostonian Drunkard questioned the legitimacy of AS's illness.

Offline ReaganForRushmore

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2009, 07:22:02 PM »
I hate stirring the pot, but whatever happened to the lawsuit that ExPat's wife was going to file?...........24 business hours? :fuelfire:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2009, 08:16:01 PM »
Oh now, sir, you're too young to be afflicted with old age.

I recall that you first were at the DUmmie FUnnies, but I'm not sure what brought you there.  You were new, and you were quite involved there too.

Yeah I had actually been at FR...mainly in the Canteen for a couple years prior to that.  I think it was writer33 who pointed me in the direction of the DuFu.

And it was you, sir, who steered me towards our old home, now remembered fondly except recently.  I was under the impression you were a long-timer there, but was surprised to learn no, you weren't. 

Yup had only been there since January 2003 but had already been in some very interesting discussions and debates...like the false claims of bodies in trees after Katrina...the whole Terry SChiavo kerfuffle that saw the biggest use of the opus since Shakespeare was writing plays...and the capture of the escaped murderer in Atlanta.

Think back, sir.  This was going on April 28-July 7, 2005.

I vaguely recall you were an active member of some other board, then came to the DUmmie FUnnies, and then went to our old home from there.  And as usual, sir, if I err, feel free to correct me.

I found our old home while doing a Google search after I got slimed by the DUmmies for a LTE I wrote in Stars and Stripes...I was curious to see what they were saying and joined up to flesh out what they had discovered from watching the DUmmies.

Nothing needs correcting sir...your memory is as sharp as ever. :-)

The most memorable part of the whole AS kerfuffle at TOS...was going head to head with Will Pitt himself and rendering him speechless.  :-)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 08:17:39 PM by TxRadioguy »
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2009, 08:30:57 PM »
I just started a forum for conservative-libertarian fiction writers. I don't really have members yet, but several people have come by and checked it out. I posted 2 things in the 'storyboard' which is supposed to be members only but since I am admin I don't know if people can see it or not.
Anyone who might like to join??

libertyfic.proboards.com

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2009, 09:48:28 PM »
I just started a forum for conservative-libertarian fiction writers. I don't really have members yet, but several people have come by and checked it out. I posted 2 things in the 'storyboard' which is supposed to be members only but since I am admin I don't know if people can see it or not.
Anyone who might like to join??

libertyfic.proboards.com
It can't be seen, if you're just lurkin...
Just my luck... ;-P

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2009, 10:03:46 PM »
or jerkin

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2009, 10:09:28 PM »
I Googled the DUmp for any mention of a DUmmy that had actually gotten on the air when Bev Harris was on Coast to Coast AM.  She's on there a few times a year around election season.  I got tired of lokoing after a few pages, but their opinion of her seems to take a sharp turn downward at some point. 
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2009, 10:19:29 PM »
I Googled the DUmp for any mention of a DUmmy that had actually gotten on the air when Bev Harris was on Coast to Coast AM.  She's on there a few times a year around election season.  I got tired of lokoing after a few pages, but their opinion of her seems to take a sharp turn downward at some point. 

Bev Harris went too far toward the paranoid, and was regarded as well as the troofers - She had a spiel about getting run off the road by black SUVs that nobody, including most of the other troofers accepted. - she also had a habit of setting up beg-a-thons at every opportunity and produced virtually nothing of substance. She had been mausoleumed more than once for cutting into Skinner's cashflow. Harris may be the one principally responsible for the 'just five dollars away' line - but I'm not %100 on that.