Author Topic: Tobin's New Year Resolutions.  (Read 3785 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Tobin's New Year Resolutions.
« on: January 01, 2018, 09:07:47 PM »
Good Luck, ol' buddy! Just keep with the positive thoughts and it will go OK. Living healthier is just better for you and the Mrs.

Star Member Tobin S. (9,678 posts) https://www.democraticunderground.com/10181024502

My New Year's resoultion is to lose weight, and this is one I have to stick to.

New standards are out for the classification of high blood pressure. They are listed below. This has a direct impact on my life and my livelihood.

Blood pressure categories in the new guideline are:

Normal: Less than 120/80 mm Hg;
Elevated: Systolic between 120-129 and diastolic less than 80;
Stage 1: Systolic between 130-139 or diastolic between 80-89;
Stage 2: Systolic at least 140 or diastolic at least 90 mm Hg;
Hypertensive crisis: Systolic over 180 and/or diastolic over 120, with patients needing prompt changes in medication if there are no other indications of problems, or immediate hospitalization if there are signs of organ damage.

http://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2017/11/08/11/47/mon-5pm-bp-guideline-aha-2017

I have to pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical every year to be medically certified to do my job as a commercial truck driver. I don't know how these new guidelines are going to affect the procedure yet, but under them I'm considered to have stage 1 hypertension. Under the current rules for the DOT physical, you will fail with a blood pressure reading of 140/90 and will be required to take medication or somehow otherwise lower your blood pressure to pass the physical. If the DOT is consistent in their application of the new guidelines, a reading of over 130/80 would fail a driver. My blood pressure is typically a little higher than that. A typical reading for me is 133/80, just under the current threshold, but just over the new one.

I've worked hard to lower my blood pressure in the past. My blood pressure truly was high at one time and I failed a physical because of it and had to go on medication in order to pass. I did not want to be on that medication, so I lost about 60 pounds and got my blood pressure down to where it currently is without the use of medication.

Well I could stand to lose at least another 50 pounds, and I'm going to have to do it now if I want to get under that threshold without the use of medication if the DOT adopts the new standards. So that is my New Year's resolution. I have until November to accomplish this. Cue the Mission Impossible theme music.

I'd just lose the weight, Tobin. You'll feel much better 50 lbs less.

TEB (2,030 posts)

1. I know I have cdl as well

Been union for 31 years my problem is not BP. I just caught bi polar and I heard if you put down depakote as med I’ll need letter from my doc. For dot doc and I caught sleep apnea I just yard jockey and on my new certification the dot doc said well your 6foot 160 pounds you do not fit profile but get one done. Here I have it so now I have to give them a read out next November. I miss the old days simpler times 12 years until my union pension just get our two youngest through college. I’m just tired running the road. We sleep hotels but I like the yard. Later good luck try water and a lot of protein fish chicken.

Oh, Shit! TEB and the Boog drive a truck!!!???

Star Member Tobin S. (9,678 posts)

2. I have sleep apnea and biopolar disorder as well. That's why I have to get a physical once a year

instead of once every two years. The bipolar diagnosis isn't too tough to get past. It just requires a note from your doctor, and chances are that he or she will be obliging if you tell him or her that your livelihood is on the line.

The sleep apnea is a little tougher to comply with. You have to get the CPAP machine and demonstrate that you are using it. The machine will have a chip in it that records your usage. It may also have a cellular communications type of device in it that relays your usage back to the CPAP provider you use. When it comes time for your physical, you'll go to the CPAP provider with the chip and get a document that proves your compliance with treatment. They may also have the information already available through the tracking device that might be installed on your machine. You have to demonstrate 70% compliance or better for the previous three months if I remember right.

I swear, with all of the tougher physical guidelines coming down it's like they are actively trying to get older drivers out of the industry. Lord knows that over time as we age we get these kinds of health problems. The thing is that they are making it tougher and tougher for older drivers to stay in the industry. The new blood pressure standards are especially silly in my view.

TEB (2,030 posts)

3. I agree

And the trucking industry is a plantation any more and they are running out drivers. Piss on em

It's more like they don't want ****ed up drivers on the road with huge trucks...

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline I_B_Perky

Re: Tobin's New Year Resolutions.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 09:15:07 PM »
Well good luck Tubbs.  Lose some weight and then come back and talk to us.  Might I suggest not shoving as much food down your pie hole?  That usually seems to work.
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 09:17:35 PM »
TEB (2,030 posts)

3. I agree

And the trucking industry is a plantation any more and they are running out drivers. Piss on em

Self driving semis will be on the roads soon enough.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:21:51 PM »
Self driving semis will be on the roads soon enough.

And that scares the shit out of me.

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 09:38:32 PM »

I don't like the idea of self driving vehicles of any size really.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 09:47:44 PM »

Yeah, didn't turn out so well in Killdozer, the Terminator movies, or Fred Saberhagen's Berserker stories. 

:popcorn:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Maverick1987

• M o l o n L a b e
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 10:17:35 PM »
Maybe the Tobester needs to eat more of these protein fish chickens that TEB suggests
Deplorable since 2016

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 06:42:17 AM »
Star Member Tobin S. (9,678 posts) https://www.democraticunderground.com/10181024502

My New Year's resoultion is to lose weight, and this is one I have to stick to.

New standards are out for the classification of high blood pressure. They are listed below. This has a direct impact on my life and my livelihood.

Blood pressure categories in the new guideline are:

Normal: Less than 120/80 mm Hg;
Elevated: Systolic between 120-129 and diastolic less than 80;
Stage 1: Systolic between 130-139 or diastolic between 80-89;
Stage 2: Systolic at least 140 or diastolic at least 90 mm Hg;
Hypertensive crisis: Systolic over 180 and/or diastolic over 120, with patients needing prompt changes in medication if there are no other indications of problems, or immediate hospitalization if there are signs of organ damage.

http://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardiology/articles/2017/11/08/11/47/mon-5pm-bp-guideline-aha-2017

I have to pass a Department of Transportation (DOT) physical every year to be medically certified to do my job as a commercial truck driver. I don't know how these new guidelines are going to affect the procedure yet, but under them I'm considered to have stage 1 hypertension. Under the current rules for the DOT physical, you will fail with a blood pressure reading of 140/90 and will be required to take medication or somehow otherwise lower your blood pressure to pass the physical. If the DOT is consistent in their application of the new guidelines, a reading of over 130/80 would fail a driver. My blood pressure is typically a little higher than that. A typical reading for me is 133/80, just under the current threshold, but just over the new one.

I've worked hard to lower my blood pressure in the past. My blood pressure truly was high at one time and I failed a physical because of it and had to go on medication in order to pass. I did not want to be on that medication, so I lost about 60 pounds and got my blood pressure down to where it currently is without the use of medication.

Well I could stand to lose at least another 50 pounds, and I'm going to have to do it now if I want to get under that threshold without the use of medication if the DOT adopts the new standards. So that is my New Year's resolution. I have until November to accomplish this. Cue the Mission Impossible theme music.

Medical MJ before your physical will take care of the hypertension and you can then eat all you want Tobes.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 11:46:44 AM »
Maybe the Tobester needs to eat more of these protein fish chickens that TEB suggests

Must be some kind of GMO shit.

:-)
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 11:49:59 AM »
Must be some kind of GMO shit.

:-)

Arsenic is GMO free, just saying.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 11:50:30 AM »
so I lost about 60 pounds and got my blood pressure down to where it currently is without the use of medication.

Well I could stand to lose at least another 50 pounds,

He is saying he is 110 lbs overweight?  :thatsright: 
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 12:15:33 PM »
Top tip for Tubby Tobin:

Keep your New Year's resolutions on your head, and not on a piece of paper, because you'll eat the paper, too.

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 12:16:50 PM »
He is saying he is 110 lbs overweight?  :thatsright:

I'm sure a few thousands RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM chants will get his weight under control.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 12:39:33 PM »
Quote from:
TEB

I just caught bi polar ... and I caught sleep apnea

Only a primitive could catch these.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 12:47:44 PM »
I don't think it was last year but the year before Tubbs had the exact same New Years Resolution to lose weight. He was even keeping a running dialogue showcasing his progress...
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 01:25:14 PM »
Only a primitive could catch these.

As recommended by DU to qualify for 100% ssdi.  :mad:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 04:43:59 PM »

Not half as much as someone with sleep apnea who is bi polar driving a semi.   :o :argh:

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 05:43:46 PM »

Me neither.  I've seen waaaay too much shit happen on the road and I don't care if the computer from Star Trek is running the vehicle, it will be dangerous. 

Not mention you can't go chase down and kick a computer's ass when they run you out of your lane.  :-)

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline BattleHymn

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 11:38:11 AM »
Me neither.  I've seen waaaay too much shit happen on the road and I don't care if the computer from Star Trek is running the vehicle, it will be dangerous. 

Not mention you can't go chase down and kick a computer's ass when they run you out of your lane.  :-)

I would imagine once it rolls out, you'll have something akin to the way autopilot on airliners still requires a pilot in the cockpit.

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 12:13:16 PM »
I'm sure a few thousands RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM chants will get his weight under control.

I was thinking this might help more:

RAM RAM I'm Fat  RAM RAM I'm ugly RAM RAM I'm a loser RAM RAM I married a woman who would have me RAM RAM
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 06:47:49 PM »
I would imagine once it rolls out, you'll have something akin to the way autopilot on airliners still requires a pilot in the cockpit.

Truck drivers ain't airline pilots.  I can see someone like tubbs stuffing his face full of food and then falling asleep... while his autopiloted truck runs over your's and my asses.

Nope. Don't like it at all. At least with a truck driver if he kills someone due to negligence his ass can go to jail and get sued.  Now it will be "the computer ****ed up!" defense.

And I damn sure don't want to be driving a car that all of sudden decides to stop itself.  Antilock breaks are a good example. Worthless in the snow when the road is icy.  Reason why I drive a standard... well that and I always have.  :-)

Some dumbass dummie pulls out in front of you on a slick road, push in the clutch and hit the emergency break and you will stop. Eventually. At least you will be under control.  Better than the antilock breaks not stopping you at all.

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 09:28:56 PM »
> Tobin: Well I could stand to lose at least another 50 pounds

You will first need to eliminate the leftist idiocy you follow.  Then you can follow logic.  Idiot.