Author Topic: What should Obama's strategy be for dealing with Fox News if he wins?  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Servonaut

• In Memoriam
  • "Memento Mori"
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x6625182

Freakin Commies

bluestateguy (1000+ posts)       Tue Aug-12-08 02:21 PM
Original message
What should Obama's strategy be for dealing with Fox News if he wins?
 Advertisements [?]If he wins, Fox News is going to endeavor to make his presidency as miserable as possible. What should an Obama Administration's approach be for handling Fox News? Should he shun them (never call on their reporters at the press conferences, make them sit in the back; direct his Administration to never speak to Fox reporters or go on any of their programs, etc.)? Or engage them and try to reach their audience as much as possible? Or in the most extreme scenario, he could utilize the Hugo Chavez approach of using the machinery of government to shut the station down.

I'm undecided here. What do you think?

onenote  (1000+ posts)      Tue Aug-12-08 02:22 PM
Response to Original message
1. how would he "use the machinery of government" to shut them down?
 Curious. First Amendment and all that.

IanDB1  (1000+ posts)       Tue Aug-12-08 02:24 PM
Response to Reply #1
3. It's an Australian company. We don't have to allow them to operate here. n/t

onenote  (1000+ posts)      Tue Aug-12-08 02:28 PM
Response to Reply #3
11. actually it is a US company.
 Not that it makes any difference. We don't have laws against Australian companies doing business in the US. And we don't have laws that prevent cable and satellite companies from distributing programming from non US companies.

IanDB1  (1000+ posts)       Tue Aug-12-08 02:30 PM
Response to Reply #11
17. I remember there was a big controversy over whether we should even allow them to have an FCC license 
 Who was president when Murdoch started the Fox Network?

Was it Clinton or George H. W?

onenote  (1000+ posts)      Tue Aug-12-08 02:33 PM
Response to Reply #17
21. it was in 1985, during Reagan's presidency
 Murdoch became a US citizen which got around the issue of a non US citizen owning a broadcast station. More recently (in 2004, I believe), News Corp re-incorporated itself as a US company.

Not that any of it matters --- Fox News is a cable network, not a broadcast outlet, and the foreign ownership rules aren't applicable.

SoCalDem  (1000+ posts)        Tue Aug-12-08 02:24 PM
4. One fox reporter at news conferences..no live one-on-one appearances..ever
 no interviews AT Fox or BY Fox..

They are NOT a legitimate "news" venue.. They are a propaganda arm of the NRC..

I don't think that a president OWES interviews to the opposition party..

DJ13  (1000+ posts)      Tue Aug-12-08 02:24 PM
5. Have the IRS audit Murdock and every business he owns
 You just know that old tight ass neocon isnt paying his share of taxes. 

FrenchieCat  (1000+ posts)       Tue Aug-12-08 02:26 PM
9. Get some FCC adjustments made, and have them draft legislation 
 that requires news outlet, whether network or cable, to report the truth and not lies.

onenote  (1000+ posts)      Tue Aug-12-08 02:29 PM
Response to Reply #9
15. ah yes, the "truth" police
 and the endless struggle over opinion v fact. Screw the First Amendment

I like onenote.  :cheersmate:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: What should Obama's strategy be for dealing with Fox News if he wins?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »

Did I miss the election?.... :confused:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 03:18:17 PM »
DJ13  (1000+ posts)      Tue Aug-12-08 02:24 PM
5. Have the IRS audit Murdock and every business he owns
 You just know that old tight ass neocon isnt paying his share of taxes. 

I would think this would be the true definition of an impeachable offense. :whatever:

Offline ReaganForRushmore

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 03:30:28 PM »
I wonder what the DUmmies would say that Murdoch supported Hillary in the primaries and has held fund raisers in London for Obama/

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 03:58:23 PM »
I wonder what the DUmmies would say that Murdoch supported Hillary in the primaries and has held fund raisers in London for Obama/

It is the same ignorance (in reverse) which allows the DUmpmonkeys to claim MSNBC/NBC is a right-wing party organ because they are owned by General Electric.  The idiots truly believe that because Murdoch owns a vast portion of FOX News he has got to be a Bible-thumping rethug. 

The little goons have no idea about business and even less about network news division operations.

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 04:04:15 PM »

In other words, treat Fox News harsher than you'd treat Iran.  Nice to know that the Left has an idea of who the enemies are.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 04:10:01 PM »
DU + Free Speech = Bullshit
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2008, 04:22:05 PM »
I have to admit that is the dumbest doggone bunch of twits I have ever seen!   :banghead:

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 09:08:42 PM »
onenote  (1000+ posts)      Tue Aug-12-08 02:33 PM
Response to Reply #17
21. it was in 1985, during Reagan's presidency

Wrong again DUmmie:

The network was launched on October 7, 1996[1] to 17 million cable subscribers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News

That puts it's debut right before round two  of BilllyJeffs reign of terror.

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 09:30:49 AM »

a nice start would be not running away from it.  how could you handle terrorists that are determined to kill us when you are afraid of, say, megyn kelly?

:-)

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 09:35:56 AM »
As I remember it, it was John Edwards who decided that the Democratic party should boycott Fox News! They followed him like lemmings, still are! Meanwhile the Republican party shows no fear, no bias, they appear on all the major networks and take their lumps! Brock is a coward or a lemming! I don't know which is worse!

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 09:48:10 AM »
As I remember it, it was John Edwards who decided that the Democratic party should boycott Fox News! They followed him like lemmings, still are! Meanwhile the Republican party shows no fear, no bias, they appear on all the major networks and take their lumps! Brock is a coward or a lemming! I don't know which is worse!

I recall that he wouldn't even appear in a debate that foxnews was sponsoring.  I guess now we know what john was afraid what would come up (no pun intended).

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 09:54:53 AM »

That episode is what made Edwards the DU favorite at the time. Before Obama convinced them that he is the One True Messiah, Edwards was the Chosen One over there. Remember all the threads about how he was going to personally feed the hungry, smite the corporations, and give out free hair care products? Remember how his ambulance chasing was cast as benevolence, and his hedge fund income was from mere research? Remember how he was honoring his wife, who in NO WAY was pimping her own cancer as a way to seem holier than thou? Remember how everyone, EVERYONE had an Edwards avatar? Heh.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 10:33:20 AM »

That episode is what made Edwards the DU favorite at the time. Before Obama convinced them that he is the One True Messiah, Edwards was the Chosen One over there. Remember all the threads about how he was going to personally feed the hungry, smite the corporations, and give out free hair care products? Remember how his ambulance chasing was cast as benevolence, and his hedge fund income was from mere research? Remember how he was honoring his wife, who in NO WAY was pimping her own cancer as a way to seem holier than thou? Remember how everyone, EVERYONE had an Edwards avatar? Heh.

Yes, I remember, I remember posting the Breck Girl photo at another site and the liberals had a meltdown! We are not done yet, Enquirer and Fox are on the money trail now! Two people with no visible means of support are living in mansions. Laws have been broken. Mr. Pretty Boy is in for a "rough" time methinks.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 10:37:36 AM »

Yes, I remember, I remember posting the Breck Girl photo at another site and the liberals had a meltdown! We are not done yet, Enquirer and Fox are on the money trail now! Two people with no visible means of support are living in mansions. Laws have been broken. Mr. Pretty Boy is in for a "rough" time methinks.

While the Dems have visions of blue-hatted cops frog-marching Bush and Cheney to the Hague, a Dem hero is going to get tossed in the clink by the US Department of Justice. NICE.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 11:05:49 AM »

. . . and his timeline is getting blown up, too.  he was involved with her when the baby was conceived, they were involved before she worked on his campaign, etc., etc., etc.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 11:30:09 AM »
Original message
What should McCain's strategy be for dealing with CNN if he wins?
 Advertisements [?]If he wins, CNN is going to endeavor to make his presidency as miserable as possible. What should an McCain Administration's approach be for handling CNN? Should he shun them (never call on their reporters at the press conferences, make them sit in the back; direct his Administration to never speak to CNN reporters or go on any of their programs, etc.)? Or engage them and try to reach their audience as much as possible? Or in the most extreme scenario, he could utilize the Hugo Chavez approach of using the machinery of government to shut the station down.

I would love to change this post around and post it like this on DU.  See how they change their minds so fast their tiny little brains fall out their tear duct.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 12:02:14 PM »
Original message
 Advertisements [?]If he wins, CNN is going to endeavor to make his presidency as miserable as possible. What should an McCain Administration's approach be for handling CNN? Should he shun them (never call on their reporters at the press conferences, make them sit in the back; direct his Administration to never speak to CNN reporters or go on any of their programs, etc.)? Or engage them and try to reach their audience as much as possible? Or in the most extreme scenario, he could utilize the Hugo Chavez approach of using the machinery of government to shut the station down.

I would love to change this post around and post it like this on DU.  See how they change their minds so fast their tiny little brains fall out their tear duct.

I seem to recall after Helen Thomas became an editorial writer and declared President Bush the worst President ever she was removed from the front row at press conferences and wasn`t called on as much.
Of course the libs were outraged at that,Molly Ivins saying the President had no class.

They have no consistency ever and a convenient lack of memory

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 12:10:39 PM »
Original message

I seem to recall after Helen Thomas became an editorial writer and declared President Bush the worst President ever she was removed from the front row at press conferences and wasn`t called on as much.
Of course the libs were outraged at that,Molly Ivins saying the President had no class.

They have no consistency ever and a convenient lack of memory

I think Helen Thomas was moved and ignored because of her stunning, sad, and utter ugliness. Her politics were just a cover for the real reason - she's fugly.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 12:35:25 PM »
DU!

Here is what Obama is going to do about Fox News... nothing at all. Keep having your little day dreams about Obama carrying out every little petty revenge scheme you can imagine but remember that in the end all you will have is disappointment because Obama doesn't listen to you nor does he even realize that you exist. It will be Nancy Pelosi all over again if Obama becomes President.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 06:35:56 AM by FlaGator »
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 12:48:05 PM »
DU!

Here is what Obama is going to do about Fox News... nothing at all. Keep having your little day dreams about Obama carrying out every little petty revenge scheme you can imagine but remember that in the end all you will have is disappointment because Obama doesn't no listen to you nor does he even realize that you exist. It will be Nancy Pelosi all over again if Obama becomes President.

If Obamohammed wins the election, Fox will probably become more powerful, because it will be the only place to go for the Right AND for people in the middle.

Still, I predict Obamohammed will have about a 9 month honeymoon with the press, until they slowly start to realize that he's made them his Useful Idiots. Even then, you will only see a little fraying at the edges. The press is only infatuated with Obamohammed; someone else will come along that has more tasty genitals.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO