Author Topic: What should be the penalty for "looting"  (Read 802 times)

Offline FaC

What should be the penalty for "looting"
« on: September 22, 2016, 02:06:58 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10028179509

kentuck (76,727 posts)

What should be the penalty for "looting"?

Should it be a crime?

Or should it be over-looked because of circumstances?

Is it simply part of the formula: "No justice - No peace"?

Is it racist to be "anti-looting"?

Personally, I cannot accept it as part of any solution to the problem, no matter how angry or justified one might feel.

Just my opinion.

^^^ Maybe a small sliver of sense from Kentuck?

msongs (42,000 posts)
2. a new tv might solve all my social problems :-) nt

jamzrockz (1,220 posts)
3. I think if it

happened during natural disaster and the items being looted are items essential for human survival like food, water, medication etc then the penalty should be fines items that amount to the value of goods that was looted and damages to the store.

Anything else and during any other time, the penalty should be fine plus jail time. If there are no penalties for looting then I might just start looting bestbuy now 

And no being anti looting doesn't make one racist, stop being ridiculous.

Natural Disaster Looting:

vlyons (1,277 posts)
6. Looting is stealing

Each state defines looting differently. Depending on the value of what's being stolen, it can be a misdemeanor of a felony. Here in Texas, if you steal meat, even a $3 package of lunch meat, it's a felony. The prosecutor can also throw on breaking and entering charges. And since looters are usually running away, there will probably charges for resisting arrest.

Character is what you do when no one is watching.

^^^ This DUmmie makes too much sense - s/het/it must be a mole...

JonathanRackham (1,519 posts)
9. If it was food and basic life necessities

for immediate survival in the moment then I'd give a stern talking to and let it be.

Electronics, liquor and jewelry are not on that list.

Survival after a hurricane, natural disaster is survival. If you're angry and these are your actions then shame on you.

^^^ Snork - see Katrina man above

jtuck004 (15,776 posts)
11. Wellllll...it depends on what your definition of "looting" is. Do you mean some poor

working schmuck who busts a window to steal a tv that is worth more than a month's pay from the cheap bastard who employs him? Because he or she lives with no hope in the "greatest" country in the world?

Or do you mean the bank$ter/jihandists who donate to political parties that change laws which allow them to inflate prices with imaginary money and rob the lifeblood and livelihood, and sometimes the lives, from more than 8 million American families, stealing or causing the loss of trillions of dollars? With the bank$ter/jihadists then rewarded for their theft?

I think people who are worried about "looting" are mostly missing a discussion over the lack of justice, freedom, and respect that led to why they are calling it "looting".

^^^ Situational ethics

Whiskeytide (1,672 posts)
32. I like your take on this, and agree with it...

... for the most part. But my problem with this kind of looting is that it is counter productive to the purposes of the protest. Many people - esp here in the deep South - forget the protest and see only the lawlessness. It tends to reinforce their preconceived prejudices about the "protestors". All it takes is one pic of someone exiting a Best Buy with a flat screen on their shoulder, and you get "so THAT's what this 'protest' is about"!

So while I agree that looting is a rather inconsequential event from the prospective of a criminal justice analysis, I would argue that it IS quite significant as a hinderance to shifting societal views. Just my .02.

Nye Bevan (25,304 posts)
17. It needs to be punished very severely, more so than "normal" robberies.

Because if it is not, there are people who will deliberately start riots because of the opportunity to loot free stuff.

^^^ Surprised that this one was allowed to stand

MineralMan (87,300 posts)
46. Jail time and fines after a trial and judgment of guilt.

Just like any property crime.

^^^ Living dangerously

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: What should be the penalty for "looting"
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 02:29:05 PM »
death
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 03:06:20 PM »
death

Until nowadays looters were always shot on sight.

With good reason.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 03:06:35 PM »
I guess I'm just a right-wing simpleton. To me theft is theft, with some allowance for how it was done (at gun point vs. burglary when no one is home). Looting (funny, I see no reason for "scare quotes") is inherently a violent act, so the penalty should be at the more severe end of the range.

Now, if the looters had just stuck to hitting Walmart and maybe CVS - big EEEEEEEEvile corporations - maybe DU-folk would have been even more sympathetic.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 03:07:39 PM »
Back to the "lots of question mark posts" I see, Kentuck.  Idiot.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 07:32:17 PM »
3-5 in prison.

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 08:30:32 AM »
I KNEW one of the DUmmies would say something along the lines of what jtuck004 said, using warped ethics to completely justify theft.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
I KNEW one of the DUmmies would say something along the lines of what jtuck004 said, using warped ethics to completely justify theft.

Folks like that have the attitude that the only property that is "sacred" is their own.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jukin

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 11:34:58 AM »
Shot on sight. Reward to the shooter.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 12:48:16 PM »
Shot on sight. It is like picking the bones of the dead or preying on the helpless. You should help in a crisis not contribute to it.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »

Call me old fashioned, but if I'm a shop owner and I see someone entering my store with intent to steal, I think I should have the right to shoot them on sight until they are dead. And I'd plant a TV on them if necessary. Literally AND figuratively.

NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »
All kidding aside, I'm in agreement with this statement:  Looters will be shot!
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 03:01:18 PM »
During Katrina;
Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco warned rioters and looters in New Orleans on Thursday that National Guard troops are under her orders to “shoot and kill” to end the rampant violence in the city in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.     

Those were the days......
John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline Delmar

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 05:57:51 PM »
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden