Author Topic: God bless Rick Monday  (Read 2023 times)

Offline ReardenSteel

God bless Rick Monday
« on: April 26, 2008, 01:44:30 PM »
Posted about this last year. Can't believe it's another anniversary already.   :o

From Hot Air...
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/04/26/thirty-two-years-later-its-still-a-great-play/

Thirty-two years ago today, one of baseball’s greatest moments took place when the ball wasn’t even in play. McQ reminds us of Rick Monday’s courageous rescue of the American flag at Dodger Stadium in 1976, which we can all see again through the magic of YouTube:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjfOSe22WIo[/youtube]

More at HA link. Is it the "single best moment in sports"? That depends on the fan I guess. Though I didn't get to see it happen, I'm hard pressed to think of it's equal. God bless Rick Monday indeed. (farking hippies, LOL)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 01:46:05 PM by ReardenSteel »
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline john c calhoun

Re: God bless Rick Monday
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 02:03:50 PM »
good one awirght...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 02:06:53 PM »
Rick Monday -- tough as nails and funny as hell.

And a True American.  Those hippies are lucky he didn't decide to pound their asses.  He could and would have sent them both to the hospital.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 03:39:44 PM »

And a True American.  Those hippies are lucky he didn't decide to pound their asses.  He could and would have sent them both to the hospital.

Those hippies were lucky that Tom Lasorda didn't beat the shit out of them.  Even though he was a "tad older" than those hippie scum, Lasorda would have gone batshit on them. 

If I ever meet Mr. Monday, I will make very sure that I'm able to buy him a drink or three. 
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »

Those hippies were lucky that Tom Lasorda didn't beat the shit out of them.  Even though he was a "tad older" than those hippie scum, Lasorda would have gone batshit on them. 

If I ever meet Mr. Monday, I will make very sure that I'm able to buy him a drink or three. 

I ran into him at restaurant at vero beach one year during spring training.  I didn't say anything more than "good evening,
mr. monday".  vero is funny that way.  they went out of their way to not make a big deal about having dodgers all over the place.  and you couldn't miss tommy lasorda at vero.  he was everyplace, it seemed. :-)