Author Topic: Draft Day Baby  (Read 13602 times)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: Draft Day Baby
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2008, 06:54:59 PM »

I like (or perhaps dislike, since he will play in GB's division :-)) chicago's last pick.  matt forte was a machine last season.

From the film I saw, he already has quicker steps than Benson.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2008, 07:00:08 PM »

I like (or perhaps dislike, since he will play in GB's division :-)) chicago's last pick.  matt forte was a machine last season.

From the film I saw, he already has quicker steps than Benson.

I think he will be a good back in the NFL.  perhaps not a pro-bowler, but a very good running back.

I kept my eye on him because he played in C-USA, but I am sure his stock was hurt because he played on a poor team in a weak conference.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2008, 09:11:35 PM »

why in the world did GB pick Brian Brohm?  they had dante culpepper in to try out for the backup QB slot.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #53 on: April 26, 2008, 10:31:07 PM »
I love the Eagle's newest annual tradition of trading away their first round pick.   ::)

At least they took a receiver in the 2nd round.  Reid must've been rattled by McNabb's threat to not be his friend anymore if they didn't bring in a new target for him.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #54 on: April 26, 2008, 10:42:12 PM »
I love the Eagle's newest annual tradition of trading away their first round pick.   ::)

At least they took a receiver in the 2nd round.  Reid must've been rattled by McNabb's threat to not be his friend anymore if they didn't bring in a new target for him.

ok, that was funny.  H5 from a GB fan :wink:

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2008, 08:33:07 AM »

why in the world did GB pick Brian Brohm?  they had dante culpepper in to try out for the backup QB slot.

smart move by GB...

aaron rogers can't play a complete game yet....he's been hurt 3 times  already & he hasn't even started a game yet :o ...

and maybe this kept somebody else from getting Brohm (ie: CHICAGO)

Pats picked up a QB too ...me thinks the Jets were looking at him....but also, the Pats do need to start looking at 3-4 years down the road, as well as the possibility of Brady missing games do to injury (since they didn't pick any Olinemen in the draft & since he may have been better off sitting the SB out)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 08:54:03 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2008, 08:50:34 AM »
this weekends winners:

#1 - KC chiefs, without a doubt  CLEARLY  made out like bandits..... Al Davis has totally lost it  & will get cornholed badly by the Chiefs this year.... yeah he's got mcfadden, but obviously Dorsey, Albert & Flowers trumps that 100x  over ....

wow, did the Chiefs just RAPE everyone or what ???

#2- Dolphins- obviously jake long, but also CHAD HENNE, Merling, lots of F/A grabs like Fergusson, Adoyele, Fasono, Torbour   ....looking good !

#3- Jacksonville - grabbing those two defensive ends (harvey & the guy from auburn) & greg williams to coach them, along w/  porter on the WR core....all I gotta say is : BYE BYE INDY !!!!! :lmao:

#4- Patriots- one mock drafter knew Mayo  was the pats pick all along ...why ?? ...the guy is EXPERIENCED, as well as durable, fast, non stop & he KNOWS HOW TO PLAY LB (unlike vernon gholston) ....

then, the pick of CRABLE from michigan may be even a bigger accomplishment !! ...this guy will be a GREAT pass rusher & both they got for the price the Jets are gonna have to dishout for gholston ....their pick for wheatley at CB was steal & this guy will easily take the place of Randall Gay...

honorable mention: da BEARS... only because they finally got semi serious about a running back & Oline... but being a 'RUNNING TEAM', I dunno why they picked a pass protect Lineman in williams :whatever: (when brandon albert was available)

biggest losers:

#1- Raydas : not only did they pass up on prolly THE BEST player in the draft, glenn dorsey, but that was a position they desperately needed....unlike, running back ...then, w/ their baffoonery, they gave their division rivals the RED CARPET by taking dorsey, brandon albert & flowers, along w/ 2-3 other really good picks... the raydas could've gotten dorsey &/or traded down & got jonathan stewart AND brandon albert to protect their 60mil QB & actually provide blocking for all their GD running backs ...REALLY STUPID

#2- Bungles-- did they even show up ?? ...

#3- Cowboys- yeah I know they're happy about bill white shoes from ARK., but, I say that lil guy doesn't do JACKSHIT in the NFL ....then the dumbass cowboys give a convict a 3 year contract , dump fasano & their 2 year starting LB for a dinosaur, meanwhile they PASS UP MENDENHALL & don't address their PUNY, banged up Dline .... sure mike jenkins will prolly be a good pickl & they're gonna need him more than ever since their Dline SUCKS...

#4 - the RAMS ....chris long is prolly gonna be a real good player, BUT, the Rams lost out on the best Offensive linemen in the draft to take Long & marc bulgar & steven jackson will prolly end up 6ft under this season as a result... no hope for the Rams...  they needed 2 maybe 3 linemen & prolly didn't even come close to that...

honorable mention:       seattle... sorry steel...seattles TE pick was WEAK & as far as the others, WTF ?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:06:25 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #57 on: April 28, 2008, 09:25:38 AM »
this weekends winners:

#1 - KC chiefs, without a doubt  CLEARLY  made out like bandits..... Al Davis has totally lost it  & will get cornholed badly by the Chiefs this year.... yeah he's got mcfadden, but obviously Dorsey, Albert & Flowers trumps that 100x  over ....

#2- Dolphins- obviously jake long, but also CHAD HENNE, Merling, lots of F/A grabs like Fergusson, Adoyele, Fasono, Torbour   ....looking good !

#3- Jacksonville - grabbing those two defensive ends (harvey & the guy from auburn) & greg williams to coach them, along w/  porter on the WR core....all I gotta say is : BYE BYE INDY !!!!! :lmao:

#4- Patriots- one mock drafter knew Mayo  was the pats pick all along ...why ?? ...the guy is EXPERIENCED, as well as durable, fast, non stop & he KNOWS HOW TO PLAY LB (unlike vernon gholston) ....

then, the pick of CRABLE from michigan may be even a bigger accomplishment !! ...this guy will be a GREAT pass rusher & both they got for the price the Jets are gonna have to dishout for gholston ....their pick for wheatley at CB was steal & this guy will easily take the place of Randall Gay...

honorable mention: da BEARS... only because they finally got semi serious about a running back & Oline... but being a 'RUNNING TEAM', I dunno why they picked a pass protect Lineman in williams :whatever: (when brandon albert was available)

biggest losers:

#1- Raydas : not only did they pass up on prolly THE BEST player in the draft, glenn dorsey, but that was a position they desperately needed....unlike, running back ...then, w/ their baffoonery, they gave their division rivals the RED CARPET by taking dorsey, brandon albert & flowers, along w/ 2-3 other really good picks... the raydas could've gotten dorsey &/or traded down & got jonathan stewart AND brandon albert to protect their 60mil QB & actually provide blocking for all their GD running backs ...REALLY STUPID

#3- Cowboys- yeah I know they're happy about bill white shoes from ARK., but, I say that lil guy doesn't do JACKSHIT in the NFL ....then the dumbass cowboys give a convict a 3 year contract , dump fasano & their 2 year starting LB for a dinosaur, meanwhile they PASS UP MENDENHALL & don't address their PUNY, banged up Dline .... sure mike jenkins will prolly be a good pickl & they're gonna need him more than ever since their Dline SUCKS...

#4 - the RAMS ....chris long is prolly gonna be a real good player, BUT, the Rams lost out on the best Offensive linemen in the draft to take Long & marc bulgar & steven jackson will prolly end up 6ft under this season as a result... no hope for the Rams...  they needed 2 maybe 3 linemen & prolly didn't even come close to that...

honorable mention:       seattle... sorry steel...seattles TE pick was WEAK & as far as the others, WTF ?
Falcons had a good draft, but could have been a great one.  I understand taking Ryan at #3 to put a new face on the organization, but from a football standpoint I would have went Dorsey at #3, still make the trade to get Baker at the end of round one, then guess who was still sitting there in the second round?  Brian Brohm.  Ryan, Baker, and Lofton in the first two rounds were good, but I'd rather have Dorsey, Baker, Brohm, and perhaps Tevarris Gooden out of the U in the third.  Here's hoping Ryan works out, if not the team has been set back another three years.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2008, 09:30:29 AM »
this weekends winners:

biggest losers:

Falcons had a good draft, but could have been a great one.  I understand taking Ryan at #3 to put a new face on the organization, but from a football standpoint I would have went Dorsey at #3, still make the trade to get Baker at the end of round one, then guess who was still sitting there in the second round?  Brian Brohm.  Ryan, Baker, and Lofton in the first two rounds were good, but I'd rather have Dorsey, Baker, Brohm, and perhaps Tevarris Gooden out of the U in the third.  Here's hoping Ryan works out, if not the team has been set back another three years.

ryan was a 'safe' bet for the falcons... the media had already tapped Ryan as the best thing since peanutbutter, so the falcons kinda got forced into replacing their jailbird superstar QB w/ another  superstar QB...

and yeah, I do like the falcons picks... but Dorsey is the real deal for sure, but I'm sure the falcons will be in the top 3-4  in next years draft too, so don't worry about it, Defense will be the next drafts priority !! :lmao:  (buccs, panthers & saints are looking REAL STRONG this season) ...

panthers had a VERY GOOD draft  & saints had  VERY good F/A and draft moves...  Serdick Ellis on the saints line will command a double team, thus freeing up will smith & the others....
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:35:23 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2008, 09:37:41 AM »
oh, I forgot to mention the chiefs other pick,  RB Charles from texas  :o

I predict he'll get more yards than mcfadden this year  :lmao:

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2008, 09:39:16 AM »
The Ravens made out like bandits, too.  They got a workhorse in Ray Rice.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »
The Ravens made out like bandits, too.  They got a workhorse in Ray Rice.

good special teams moves too... ([picked up that boxer from ND & the bears ayenbejejo : spelling)

flacco is from the region too, so that will help calm the beasts (specially if he does well) ...

look for the Ravens ST's & Defense keeping them in games again this year & even winning them ...

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:46:44 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2008, 05:38:22 PM »
biggest losers:

Well, since you asked:

Round 1/28 - Lawrence Jackson, DE, 6-5, 271, Southern California

Four year starter on a great team. Will see time right away by spelling Hawk DE's Kerney and Tapp. Seattle now has good depth and great talent at an important pass rushing spot.

Round 2/38 - John Carlson, TE, 6-4, 251, Notre Dame

Another Senior who is ready to play now. (Seattle picked all Seniors btw) Need pick for sure but they got likely the best all around talent at TE in the draft. Maybe three or four TE's are better recievers than Carlson but none of them are better blockers. While the NFL is changing the TE spot into a "big WR" spot, Holmy goes old school. Carlson can stretch the middle of the field as well as help the O-line whenever needed. Solid pick

Round 3/XX - No pick  

It's possible Carlson still would have been around 17 picks later and the Hawks could have kept their 3rd round pick but it's impossible to know for sure. One thing is for sure, they got "their" guy unlike the last time TE was a need. They traded down and settled for Jeremy Stevens. (problem child and superbowl butterfingers) Anywho, the last time they traded up in round two in a "big reach" for a "mity mite munchkin LB" named Lofa Tatupu it worked out O.K.

Round 4/121 -- Red Bryant, DT, 6-4, 318, Texas A&M

How sweet is it to lose a 3rd round pick and find the guy you wanted waiting by the phone in round four. LOL This guy is the real deal. Big, tough, run stuffing force. He will rotate in right away and be the Tubbs that Tubbs has been too injured to be. He will free up Tatupu and Julian Peterson to wreak havok even more than they usually do. A really good D has gotten better.

Round 5/163 - Owen Schmitt, FB, 6-2, 247, West Virginia

Love this kid. I'm talking nearly man-crush territory. JCC, you know I've been a Weaver booster and I have to admit, FB was not a need at all. But this was way too much talent to pass on. Schmitt is Mac Strong in perminate roid rage. The man breaks helmets. (seriously, like 10 of them in his carreer, lol) Schmitt plays like he is angry at the whole world. The second thing Seattle's offence lost with the exit of Hutch (after the best guard in the NFL) was attitude. The run game will not just look different with Wahle, Duckett and Jones. The run game will feel different too. This guy is a force of nature. (that is, if nature got a chuckle out of blowing your house down) Seattle's third and short troubles are history.

Round 6/189 - Tyler Schmitt, LS, 6-2, 231, San Diego State

The Hawks srewed up a couple years ago and let their long snapper go. It's been a rotating disaster ever since. All I know about this guy is "they" say he was the best LS in the draft. Given that and our need there, this guy makes the team for sure. That makes this draft 6 for 6 in starters/first year contributors. That's a good draft!

Round 7/233 -- Justin Forsett, RB, 5-8, 194, California

???? I don't see many Pac-10 games out here and know little to nothing about this guy. "They" say he can return punts and was projected to go in the 5th round, and speaking of projects, he projects as a poor man's Brian Westbrook. (uh-huh, show me first) It's crowded at RB even w/o Alexander. This is a wait and see pick. Any of you guys out West see this guy play?

Round 7/235 -- Brandon Coutu, K, 5-11, 188, Georgia

More ST help. Another long time starter from a great school. Competition pick not a depth pick. Don't know what to say, he either beats out Mare and starts or is off the team. Life of a kicker.

Not a sexy draft but a very solid one. Considering the talent the Hawks have already and the fact that there is a chance every draftee makes the team and most could start right away... that is a damn fine job for Holmy's last season.

Go Seahawks!!!
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2008, 05:45:38 PM »
Coutu can bomb them, but, he has a long history of hamstring tears that has sidelined him a lot through his career. If he can stay healthy, he will take the job from Mare.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2008, 05:56:26 PM »
Coutu can bomb them, but, he has a long history of hamstring tears that has sidelined him a lot through his career. If he can stay healthy, he will take the job from Mare.

I was just doing some research on those 7th rounders and read about that. I guess Coutu knocked em out of the endzone pretty regular for the first two years then the hammy troubles gave him the kick-offs of a mere mortal. Still pretty accurate though.

I'm really rooting for the kid because I don't know if Mare has it anymore and most of us Hawk fans feel a bit back stab-id over the whole Josh Brown thing.
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2008, 09:36:08 AM »

I was just doing some research on those 7th rounders and read about that. I guess Coutu knocked em out of the endzone pretty regular for the first two years then the hammy troubles gave him the kick-offs of a mere mortal. Still pretty accurate though.

I'm really rooting for the kid because I don't know if Mare has it anymore and most of us Hawk fans feel a bit back stab-id over the whole Josh Brown thing.

you nailed it...

MARE hasn't got it anymore & hasn't in about 3 or 4 years...

losing josh brown is gonna leave a mark  ....as big of one as alexander not panning out these past 2 years....

unless the hawks do something bold, like picking up Shockey, Boldin, C Johnson etc.tec. you may not make the playoffs this year as AZ Cardinals may  finally find their groove or, you just lose too many games  :p....

this is holgrems last year & he looks to be going out w/ a fizzle, instead of a bang.... (don't worry, dungy in Indy will be going out the same way too  :evillaugh:)

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2008, 02:05:44 PM »
blowback from the mcfadden pick starting to collect....

Dominic Rhodes released http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8080c700&template=with-video&confirm=true

the guy justgo resigned after finishing last years season w/ 203 yards in the raiders last 2 games...

hmmm....

seems like all the raiders running backs were VERY  productive, so maybe al davis ain't as crazy as we thought ??...

if dominic rhodes & huggy bears son were having 100 yard games, what will mcfadden be able to do ??

or was it, the defenses simply sitting back & playing pass every down, & basically gave them the run because  they knew the raiders were limited ??

anyone really know how good the Raiders Oline is ?? ...

I'm still betting on Al Davis being clinically insane.... but, maybe not ???

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2008, 04:12:30 PM »

you nailed it...

MARE hasn't got it anymore & hasn't in about 3 or 4 years...

losing josh brown is gonna leave a mark  ....as big of one as alexander not panning out these past 2 years....

unless the hawks do something bold, like picking up Shockey, Boldin, C Johnson etc.tec. you may not make the playoffs this year as AZ Cardinals may  finally find their groove or, you just lose too many games  :p....

this is holgrems last year & he looks to be going out w/ a fizzle, instead of a bang.... (don't worry, dungy in Indy will be going out the same way too  :evillaugh:)

Maybe but the defense could be top 5 and the running game will get a lot better too. Holmy can't settle for his third and long draw play then have Brown kick a 52 yeard FG anymore. He needs to open up the playbook from week one and never look back. He's got the vets (most notably Hass) to get it done.

The Rams and 9ers have not closed the gap by a long shot and the Cards are... wait a sec...  :yawn:  ... ahem, excuse me who were we talking about again?? LOL

Hawks win the still weak NFC west. That means playoffs. The only question is weather or not they can get home field. With the rest of the Hawk schedule, I'm not so sure.

- Ayn Rand