Interests > Hobbies

Stargazing

<< < (2/3) > >>

Texacon:
Will be doing some stargazing this weekend. We’re in Big Bend territory and have a star party scheduled at McDonald Observatory. The wife has some kind of scope … 8” Celestron?

Fun stuff!

KC

sunsettommy:

--- Quote from: Texacon on September 30, 2022, 03:34:51 PM ---Will be doing some stargazing this weekend. We’re in Big Bend territory and have a star party scheduled at McDonald Observatory. The wife has some kind of scope … 8” Celestron?

Fun stuff!

KC

--- End quote ---

Ohhhh, never been there must be a dark area.

A Schmidt-Cassegrain hopefully an F10 is what you have, does it look like this?

Texacon:

--- Quote from: sunsettommy on September 30, 2022, 06:51:22 PM ---Ohhhh, never been there must be a dark area.

A Schmidt-Cassegrain hopefully an F10 is what you have, does it look like this?

--- End quote ---

https://www.wideopencountry.com/stargazing-in-texas/

We’re in the Big Bend area for a few days. Those are the top 10 places in Texas. Looks like Big Bend has a Bortle scale rating of 1.

Her scope looks like the one on this page Celestron NexStar 130SLT 130mm f/5 Reflector Telescope

On my phone and can’t share the image link.

KC

sunsettommy:

--- Quote from: Texacon on October 01, 2022, 07:39:23 AM ---
https://www.wideopencountry.com/stargazing-in-texas/

We’re in the Big Bend area for a few days. Those are the top 10 places in Texas. Looks like Big Bend has a Bortle scale rating of 1.

Her scope looks like the one on this page Celestron NexStar 130SLT 130mm f/5 Reflector Telescope

On my phone and can’t share the image link.

KC

--- End quote ---

A Newtonian Design then

Thank you for mentioning the useful Bortle Scale now I can use that in my future class presentation on basic astronomy and how to enjoy stargazing.

Enjoy the trip and clear skies!

Texacon:
Yes sir, a Newtonian scope.

The star party went well!  This is the third one I’ve been to and all have been amazing. To see the Milky Way with the naked eye is always worth it.

Even had two ‘falling stars’ make an appearance, and what appeared to be the ISS.

Got to view a globular cluster through a 22” scope, and Jupiter through an 8” scope that was a private design/build. Could see the stripes and at least 2 moons.

KC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version