Author Topic: Ice Discovered on Mars  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Ice Discovered on Mars
« on: June 20, 2008, 09:06:55 AM »
Ice 'discovered on Mars', says Nasa

Nasa scientists say they have discovered what they believe is ice in the polar regions of Mars.

The Phoenix Mars lander was digging a trench in the soil of the Martian arctic when it came across chunks of bright material, the mission’s chief investigator said today.

The dice-sized pieces later vanished, meaning they must have been frozen water that vaporised after being exposed, Peter Smith of the University of Arizona said.

“These little clumps completely disappearing over the course of a few days, that is perfect evidence that it’s ice,” Mr Smith said. “There had been some question whether the bright material was salt. Salt can’t do that.”

The Phoenix probe is searching for frozen water in order to determine whether the arctic region of the Red Planet, which has never been photographed or visited before, might have ever supported life.

The bright material spotted in the bottom of a trench dubbed “Dodo-Goldilocks” that Phoenix was digging on June 15. When the probe looked into the trench again early yesterday, several of the crumbs were gone, Nasa said.

However, an initial soil sample heated in a science instrument failed to yield evidence of water.

More

Mars is now an acceptable happy hour location, now that there is a way of keeping my vodka tonic cold. :-)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:21:31 AM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Ice Discovered on Mars
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 09:16:26 AM »
Interesting.  Mars looks a lot like Oklahoma.

Offline Jim

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 09:17:08 AM »
I thought the Martian Polar ice caps were frozen CO2 ?  It also "melts".

Maybe there is something in the article that explains this.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 09:23:19 AM »
I thought the Martian Polar ice caps were frozen CO2 ?  It also "melts".

I think NASA wants it to be ice.  it's much more exciting, and congress is much more likely to fund ice than frozen CO2.

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 09:59:23 AM »

I think NASA wants it to be ice.  it's much more exciting, and congress is much more likely to fund ice than frozen CO2.

yes they do.  its kinda funny as I recall an article a few days ago that seemed to indicate that the ice they suspected was there could not be found.  and then this story happened.

I hope its ice, that means possible life which explains the little green men I have chained up in the garage.   :-)
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 10:13:04 AM »

yes they do.  its kinda funny as I recall an article a few days ago that seemed to indicate that the ice they suspected was there could not be found.  and then this story happened.

I hope its ice, that means possible life which explains the little green men I have chained up in the garage.   :-)

I cannot understand the "in the box" theory that life requires water.  It doesn't show much imagination on the part of our scientific "community".  There could be intelligent lifeforms out their with bodies made up of 90% dust, 9% mercury, and 1% electricity. 

Offline Zafod Beeblebrox

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 11:13:06 AM »

I cannot understand the "in the box" theory that life requires water.  It doesn't show much imagination on the part of our scientific "community".  There could be intelligent lifeforms out their with bodies made up of 90% dust, 9% mercury, and 1% electricity. 

That made me laugh.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 08:34:26 PM »

Ahhh the Dust Bunny theory..
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.