Author Topic: House passes Iraq war funds bill backed by Bush  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
House passes Iraq war funds bill backed by Bush
« on: June 19, 2008, 10:19:31 PM »

no timetables, no mention of withdrawal, no strings attached . . . boy, those congressional dems have
really fulfilled the mandate that brought them to power. :whatever:

House passes Iraq war funds bill backed by Bush

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday approved enough new money to wage wars in Iraq and Afghanistan for another year, while abandoning attempts to set deadlines opposed by President George W. Bush for withdrawing American combat troops.

By a vote of 268-155, the House approved the funding for the two wars. Most of the $161.8 billion the Pentagon will get, which is slightly less than Bush requested, will be used to fight in Iraq.

The measure, which the Bush administration backed, is expected to be debated by the Senate within several days. It was not yet clear whether the Senate would amend the bill.

Some Democrats expressed frustration with an inability to force troop withdrawals from Iraq, despite their party's majority status in the House.

"Let us hope this is the last time another dollar will be spent without constraint, without conditions," said House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat who opposes the Iraq war.

More

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Re: House passes Iraq war funds bill backed by Bush
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:55:58 PM »
Stay tuned for another decrease in congress approval ratings.  Poor Dummies...they partied so hard when the dems gained the majority.... :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 10:57:56 PM »
Stay tuned for another decrease in congress approval ratings.  Poor Dummies...they partied so hard when the dems gained the majority.... :-)

it appears that the congressional dems are about to cave in on domestic surveillance, too.

Offline Jim

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 09:14:47 AM »
The depressing part is that the rank and file dems will moan a little about how their leadership sold them down the river at every turn save one (min wage) but will not change their voting habits at all and argue endlessly that it somehow was the evil GOP that stymied them.

Of course we all know that the dems could not pursue their moonbat agenda as America did not support it and further that the 2006 results had everything to do with people being pissed that the GOP Congress was spending like it was a dem one.

America wants a MORE conservative government, not the other way around.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:13:40 PM »
Sadly, they have their fingers crossed behind their backs. They will find a way to get back at us. It may not be today but it will happen. Never, ever trust an anti-victory, anti-American dem.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 12:16:39 PM »
For the "Worst President EVAH" Bush seems to get his way on a lot of things.   :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 12:35:03 PM »
For the "Worst President EVAH" Bush seems to get his way on a lot of things.   :-)

yep.  a lame duck president with approval ratings in the high 20's is totally pwning nancy and harry. :-)

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 01:13:53 PM »

I wouldent cheer just yet, there's a fair ammount of Dem pork added into this bill. Bush had to close his eyes and sign the thing.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 02:06:54 PM »

That's the beauty of it.

His father did such things too, although not nearly as successfully.

Of course, the first George Bush had about 60 fewer Republican congressmen, and circa 5 fewer Republican senators, to work with.

And Ronald Reagan through all of his own two administrations had to work with a House--under the drunken thumb of the vengeful Tipsy O'Neill--that was pretty close to two-thirds Democrat.

And Richard Nixon of course had none, absolutely none, of any advantages these guys following him had.

Politics and government are complicated, wonderful things; that's why the primitives don't understand them.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 02:21:13 PM »

I wouldent cheer just yet, there's a fair ammount of Dem pork added into this bill. Bush had to close his eyes and sign the thing.

extended unemployment benefits, and now the GI bill is disassociated with time of service.  the former merely ensures that unemployed people will stay unemployed longer.  (hellooo!  the unemployment rate is like 5%!!  why is this a big deal?!?!)  and I think that mccain had a better idea on the college benefit for servicemen, but I have a hard time begrudging them anything.

short version:  we gave up little, and got a full blown capitulation on the war funding.

all in all, that's a 3-run homerun.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 10:33:52 PM »

bump for GWB.