Author Topic: Democrats reject overturning ban on offshore oil drilling  (Read 3376 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Democrats reject overturning ban on offshore oil drilling
« on: June 18, 2008, 12:18:45 PM »
WASHINGTON - With gasoline topping $4 a gallon, President Bush urged Congress on Wednesday to lift its long-standing ban on offshore oil and gas drilling, saying the United States needs to increase its energy production. Democrats quickly rejected the idea.

"There is no excuse for delay," the president said in a statement in the Rose Garden. With the presidential election just months away, Bush made a pointed attack on Democrats, accusing them of obstructing his energy proposals and blaming them for high gasoline costs. His proposal echoed a call by Republican presidential candidate John McCain to open the Continental Shelf for exploration

"Families across the country are looking to Washington for a response," Bush said.

Congressional Democrats were quick to reject the push for lifting the drilling moratorium, saying oil companies already have 68 million acres offshore waters under lease that are not being developed.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Bush's proposals "another page from (an)... energy policy that was literally written by the oil industry — give away more public resources."

Sen. Barack Obama, the Democrats' presumptive presidential nominee, rejected lifting the drilling moratorium that has been supported by a succession of presidents for nearly two decades.

"This is not something that's going to give consumers short-term relief and it is not a long-term solution to our problems with fossil fuels generally and oil in particular," said Obama. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, lumping Bush with McCain, accused them of staging a "cynical campaign ploy" that won't help lower energy prices.

"Despite what President Bush, John McCain and their friends in the oil industry claim, we cannot drill our way out of this problem," Reid said. "The math is simple: America has just three percent of the world's oil reserves, but Americans use a quarter of its oil."

Bush said offshore drilling could yield up to 18 billion barrels of oil over time, although it would take years for production to start. Bush also said offshore drilling would take pressure off prices over time.

There are two prohibitions on offshore drilling, one imposed by Congress and another by executive order signed by Bush's father in 1990. Bush's brother, Jeb, fiercely opposed offshore drilling when he was governor of Florida. What the president now proposes would rescind his father's decision — but the president took the position that Congress has to act first and then he would follow behind.

Asked why Bush doesn't act first and lift the ban, Keith Hennessey, the director of the president's economic council, said: "He thinks that probably the most productive way to work with this Congress is to try to do it in tandem."

Before Bush spoke, the House Appropriations Committee postponed a vote it had scheduled for Wednesday on legislation doing the opposite of what the president asked — extending Congress' ban on offshore drilling. Lawmakers said they wanted to focus on a disaster relief bill for the battered Midwest.

Bush also proposed opening the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for drilling, lifting restrictions on oil shale leasing in the Green River Basin of Colorado, Utah and Wyoming and easing the regulatory process to expand oil refining capacity.

With Americans deeply pessimistic about the economy, Bush tried to put on the onus on Congress. He acknowledged that his new proposals would take years to have a full effect, hardly the type of news that will help drivers at the gas stations now. The White House says no quick fix exists.

Still, Bush said Congress was obstructing progress — and directly contributing to consumers' pain at the pump.

"I know the Democratic leaders have opposed some of these policies in the past," Bush said. "Now that their opposition has helped drive gas prices to record levels, I ask them to reconsider their positions."

Bush said that if congressional leaders head home for their July 4 recess without taking action, they will need to explain why "$4 a gallon gasoline is not enough incentive for them to act. And Americans will rightly ask how high gas prices have to rise before the Democratic-controlled Congress will do something about it."

Bush said restrictions on offshore drilling have become "outdated and counterproductive."

In a nod to the environmental arguments against drilling, Bush said technology has come a long way. These days, he said, oil exploration off the coastline can be done in a way that "is out of sight, protects coral reefs and habitats, and protects against oil spills."

Congressional Democrats, joined by some GOP lawmakers from coastal states, have opposed lifting the prohibition that has barred energy companies from waters along both the East and West coasts and in the eastern Gulf of Mexico for 27 years.

On Monday, McCain made lifting the federal ban on offshore oil and gas development a key part of his energy plan. McCain said states should be allowed to pursue energy exploration in waters near their coasts and get some of the royalty revenue.

Obama retorted that the Arizona senator had flip-flopped on that issue.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080618/ap_on_go_pr_wh/offshore_oil
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Zafod Beeblebrox

Re: Democrats reject overturning ban on offshore oil drilling
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »
got us by the balls.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 01:13:17 PM »
These frelling idiots. Their excuse for not allowing more drilling, is that it will take to long for it to effect prices. Hell, if they thought about this ten years ago, they couldn't use that excuse.  10 years from now, when gas is $10/gal, they'll trot out the same excuse.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 01:24:50 PM »
Oil is a traded commodity and a lot of the value of a commodity is based on speculation. Let'em open up drilling and see how those numbers change. There is no ****ING reason we should not be drilling for our own f'n oil.  :censored:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 01:30:02 PM »
Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. They won't be happy until they have driven us into the ground. And then they will blame it on the conservatives.

Bush and co. need to come out swinging. Everyday. If they are going to demonize him, smear his presidency, then dammit, the man needs to go down fighting. I'm sorry, but it's time to pull out the Texas-sized brass ones and tell these congress f*cks what day of the week it is. Grrrrrrrr!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Jim

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »
Oil is a traded commodity and a lot of the value of a commodity is based on speculation. Let'em open up drilling and see how those numbers change. There is no ******* reason we should not be drilling for our own f'n oil.  :censored:

actually there is but that reason set sail some time ago.

when McC was against drilling, oil was $20-30 a barrel and it cost more to drill it here than in the ME.  thats all changed now that its over $100 (ok, WELL over).

and just see what heppens when Congress gives it the thumbs up.  those same speculators KNOW that the local oil business will jump as do the OPEC guys and every other producer who is selling to us now.  they WANT our business, they will try to keep it.  thats where it will get hard to maintain resolve.  the Brasilian discoveries did not make a great difference as they now that BRasil cannot act quickly even if they wish to.

ignore the lefty BS, anyone who actually knows about this business will tell you that it will move the price down.  they might argue how much but not the basic down.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline djones520

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 01:43:48 PM »
Oil is a traded commodity and a lot of the value of a commodity is based on speculation. Let'em open up drilling and see how those numbers change. There is no ****ING reason we should not be drilling for our own f'n oil.  :censored:

THINK OF THE LOBSTERS MAN!!!!!
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Jim

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »
Oil is a traded commodity and a lot of the value of a commodity is based on speculation. Let'em open up drilling and see how those numbers change. There is no ******* reason we should not be drilling for our own f'n oil.  :censored:

THINK OF THE LOBSTERS MAN!!!!!

um.... lobster !    now I'm hungry !
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 01:58:41 PM »

It doesn't even have to go that far. Once there is a threat of American drills going into action, the OPEC nations will increase output to make the threat go away.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2008, 02:14:03 PM »
I am behind the President on this.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 02:30:57 PM »
Politically, I'm thrilled that Pelosi is such a moron.

However, not drilling spells bad news for the economy.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 02:32:10 PM »
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Bush's proposals "another page from (an)... energy policy that was literally written by the oil industry — give away more public resources."

*in my best Dan Akroyd voice*

Nancy, you ignorant slut, who else is going to get to, and process OUR oil?

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 02:34:23 PM »

Unfortunately, the people who keep voting her into office are also morons.

Offline Jim

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 02:38:41 PM »

However, not drilling spells bad news for the economy.

whats bad for America is good for the donkeys

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 02:57:14 PM »
Democrats creating a self fulfilling prophecy.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 03:16:02 PM »
I want to take this time to thank the Democrats for thier vision of our country. Their ability to lead us on a path that will not only ensure our future but everyone around the world. This is an historic day in the US and we alll should take this moment to show our true appreciation  and for  giving me something to POOOP ONNNNNNNNNNN

MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 05:41:07 PM »
There is a reason that energy prices are skyrocketing in this country.

Democrats have blocked the development of new sources of petroleum.
Democrats have blocked drilling in ANWR.
Democrats have blocked drilling off the coast of Florida.
Democrats have blocked drilling off of the east coast.
Democrats have blocked drilling off of the west coast.
Democrats have blocked drilling off the Alaskan coast.
Democrats have blocked building oil refineries.
Democrats have blocked clean nuclear energy production.
Democrats have blocked clean coal production.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 06:00:43 PM »
I was going to post this elsewhere until I saw the "Office of Larry Craig" at the bottom. Even though it's still true, I'm sure I'd catch hell for that.  :lmao:

I'm gonna have to crop that shit out.  :-)

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »
:rofl:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 07:12:37 PM »
^LOL! I totally didn't see that until you pointed it out. Yeah, crop tool!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 08:45:03 PM »
With all of this ..............................we will be saying President.....CINC Obama.............the sales pitch is just that good.

Hell my own Senator Dole opposes oil exploration because the damn democrats in the state
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 08:54:50 PM »
The progressives (yes I said it with a sneer) are going to force us into the ****ing stone age.

Oh I am PISSED.  :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 09:34:37 PM »
Democrats creating a self fulfilling prophecy.

the unsettling truth of the matter is that $5 a gallon gas plays right into their political agenda.  they
are probably dancing in the streets over this.  I shudder to think what a hypothetical president obama,
working with speaker pelosi and majority leader reid, will do with this in 2009.

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 09:55:31 PM »
Isn't China going to begin slant drilling off the coast of Cuba into the oil reserves off the coast of Florida?

Way to go asshat Congress.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 10:53:35 PM by rich_t »
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 10:43:33 PM »
The progressives (yes I said it with a sneer) are going to force us into the ****ing stone age.

No, they're going to force us into the many, many flying bullets age.