Author Topic: American To Play For Russia  (Read 776 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
American To Play For Russia
« on: June 15, 2008, 09:07:51 AM »
By Oscar Dixon
The Associated Press
WASHINGTON — WNBA All-Star Becky Hammon will play for Russia at the Beijing Olympics.

Hammon said Tuesday in a phone interview that she signed with the Russian national team Monday, about two weeks after getting her Russian passport.

The 31-year-old point guard for San Antonio Silver Stars also plays professionally in Russia. But she is not among the pool of 29 U.S. players hoping to make the 12-player Olympic roster.

“I’m going where they really want me and where I have an opportunity to win a medal,” said Hammon, a nine-year WNBA veteran.

The South Dakota native also signed a three-year extension with the Russian pro team CSKA.

She said she began the passport application process last year — her first with CSKA. Many WNBA stars who play overseas have a second passport — Diana Taurasi has an Italian passport; Sue Bird has an Israeli one — so they’re not counted as Americans on the team’s roster.

The 170-centimeter tall Hammon averaged 18.8 points and 5.0 assists last season for the Silver Stars.

She said she will head to Russia in late July after the WNBA shuts its season down for the Olympics. The U.S. and Russia may not meet during the Olympics, but the teams play Aug. 4 in the FIBA Diamond Ball Tournament, a tuneup for Beijing.

http://www.sptimes.ru/story/25663
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Airwolf

Re: American To Play For Russia
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 11:07:57 AM »
Anyone want to guess if they are members of DU?
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"