Author Topic: Father slays family as hunger returns to haunt North Korea  (Read 942 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Father slays family as hunger returns to haunt North Korea
« on: June 09, 2008, 09:44:10 AM »

THE first case of murder and suicide caused by North Korea’s new food crisis has emerged with the account of a man who killed his hungry wife and children and then took his own life in despair.

The family’s precarious existence became desperate after officials forbade the wife and other vendors to sell noodles in a local market, their only source of income. Such arbitrary rulings are common.

This one led to a fight between the wife and her husband. Neighbours heard the sounds as he battered her to death, then strangled his three-year-old son and two-year-old daughter, but took it as one of their regular domestic disputes. The husband hanged himself from a beam.

The deaths caused widespread shock in a society where family bonds are revered. They set off a mobilisation of Korean Workers’ party cadres and collective farm managers to keep watch on households at risk of starvation.

The report was published on an exile website, Daily NK, and quoted North Korean witnesses contacted by telephone in Shin-yang county, a poor rural area. It was a rare piece of apparently credible evidence that North Korea - which lost about a million people to famine in the 1990s - is once again running out of food.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article4087559.ece

There is more at the length, a horrific read. Kim Jong-Il can't go soon enough.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
Re: Father slays family as hunger returns to haunt North Korea
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 10:32:12 AM »
This will be a big hit at the DUmp. They love these kind of stories. They get to say "It's Bush's fault."
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 10:36:17 AM »
With the price of fuel and food rising worldwide, it has to be even worse for them now. If that's even possible.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:41:52 PM »
I nearly puked in my shoes when I saw Christian Amanpour's flowery report on North Korea. http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/02/27/amanpour.north.korea/index.html?eref=rss_topstories She got to visit with some N. Korean families to see how they lived. They were all "government officials" or "former govt officials" living in santized for your protection housing. Ugh.

I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 07:25:22 PM »
They set off a mobilisation of Korean Workers’ party cadres and collective farm managers to keep watch on households at risk of starvation.

To feed them?  Or to make sure they starve quietly instead of making news?   :???:   :bawl:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 07:46:38 PM »
**** KIM JONG-MENTALLY **** UP. HE CAN ROT IN HELL FOR ETERNITY!!!!!!!!!!
 :bird:  :maddernhell: :shame: :angryvillagers: :redbird: :argh:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du