Author Topic: Gas Costs Rise, Set Record For This Time Of Year  (Read 131750 times)

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
Re: Gas Costs Rise, Set Record For This Time Of Year
« Reply #75 on: March 03, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »
Filled up for $3.17 yesterday, but noticed that it jumped to $3.32 here overnight.

Gasoline without ethanol is widely available here......Casey's is usually where I get it, and it is rated at 87 octane.......gas with 10% ethanol is sold at the same price (at Casey's), but is rated slightly higher at 89 octane, and my vehicle (which has a "Flex Fuel" engine) gets slightly better mileage with the 10% mix.

Pure ethanol is also available around here (usually at QuickTrip or MFA stations), and generally sells for about thirty cents per gallon less than gasoline.  I've used it a couple  of times, and found that my gas mileage drops 40% on pure ethanol, therefore the cost savings simply don't come close to offsetting the reduction in mileage.

Strange as it may seem, there IS an engineering advantage to using a fuel with a small amount of ethanol.  Basically, alcohol will absorb water, but pure gasoline won't.  Therefore using a mix will ensure that moisture and condesation that forms in your fuel tank in winter, doesn't become a contaminant.......it is absorbed by the ethanol, and burned with the reat of the fuel, keeping the system dry.

doc
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 12:23:29 PM by TVDOC »

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2011, 12:28:37 PM »
Filled up for $3.17 yesterday, but noticed that it jumped to $3.32 here overnight.

Gasoline without ethanol is widely available here......Casey's is usually where I get it, and it is rated at 87 octane.......gas with 10% ethanol is sold at the same price (at Casey's), but is rated slightly higher at 89 octane, and my vehicle (which has a "Flex Fuel" engine) gets slightly better mileage with the 10% mix.

Pure ethanol is also available around here (usually at QuickTrip or MFA stations), and generally sells for about thirty cents per gallon less than gasoline.  I've used it a couple  of times, and found that my gas mileage drops 40% on pure ethanol, therefore the cost savings simply don't come close to offsetting the reduction in mileage.

Strange as it may seem, there IS an engineering advantage to using a fuel with a small amount of ethanol.  Basically, alcohol will absorb water, but pure gasoline won't.  Therefore using a mix will ensure that moisture and condesation that forms in your fuel tank in winter, doesn't become a contaminant.......it is absorbed by the ethanol, and burned with the reat of the fuel, keeping the system dry.

doc

I think (I could be wrong, and I am sure someone here will correct me.)  that we are still set on our winter fuel blend, which is 15%.  I know we have 15%, but I think it decreases to 10% in the summer. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline CG6468

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2011, 12:36:53 PM »
Gasoline WITHOUT ethanol is NEVER available here.  :argh:
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2011, 12:43:57 PM »

Right.

But my automotive mechanic, right here in one of the major ethanol-producing states, providing lots and lots of good well-paying jobs, some years ago told me not to use the 85-15% blend; to use only regular gasoline.

Something about "it depends upon the engine," and my engine apparently runs better on regular unblended.

I did notice when I was doing this, using blended gasoline during the winter (this was before he told me not to), the miles-per-gallon dropped, and not just a little bit.  Like about 5-6 mpg.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2011, 12:47:29 PM »
Right.

But my automotive mechanic, right here in one of the major ethanol-producing states, providing lots and lots of good well-paying jobs, some years ago told me not to use the 85-15% blend; to use only regular gasoline.

Something about "it depends upon the engine," and my engine apparently runs better on regular unblended.

I did notice when I was doing this, using blended gasoline during the winter (this was before he told me not to), the miles-per-gallon dropped, and not just a little bit.  Like about 5-6 mpg.

Oh well hell Frank.  5-6 MPG?  Man, I bet I could get up there if I had regular gasoline.  I am obsessed with my MPG.  Well, fixated is probably a closer definition. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2011, 12:53:58 PM »
Right.

Probably true......my engine is designed to run on "pure ethanol", albeit with a significant drop in efficiency.  It seems to perform better on a 10% mix than pure gasoline however........dunno why, but it will deliver about 2 mpg more with the mix than on just gasoline.  Since it is a relatively high compression ratio V8, I suspect that it has to do with the increase in octane, and the injector timing.

Engine designs have changed quite a bit in the last decade, so the older the vehicle, the less tolerant it will be of ethanol mixed fuels.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2011, 12:55:39 PM »
Gas goes up tonight, it'll be interesting to see how much it changes compared to the last set price.

Offline Jmartin

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2011, 01:01:26 PM »
Oh well hell Frank.  5-6 MPG?  Man, I bet I could get up there if I had regular gasoline.  I am obsessed with my MPG.  Well, fixated is probably a closer definition. 

I used to track the MPG on my Mustang when I had it. It was a 97 GT which was supposed to get 17 city 20 highway, but I always put the good stuff in. With smart driving I got 20-23 MPG every where except downtown. I have turned the timing of red lights into an art I may have too stop at 8/10.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2011, 01:04:27 PM »
I used to track the MPG on my Mustang when I had it. It was a 97 GT which was supposed to get 17 city 20 highway, but I always put the good stuff in. With smart driving I got 20-23 MPG every where except downtown. I have turned the timing of red lights into an art I may have too stop at 8/10.

I average 29.4 currently.  I put mid-grade in the car, and drive roads that I can actually move on, instead of stop/starting.  Dang car has an average consumption read-out, and an instant.  I had to change from instant to average, because I was getting too much road rage when people's driving affected my speed, and my MPG. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »
I'm averaging about 20, but my car doesn't have a working speedometer or first gear. :whistling:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2011, 01:26:54 PM »

doc

Which may be part of the reason that pure gasoline in winter is nigh on impossible to come by. 

And for whatever reason, my gas mileage (same driving habits) is about 3-4 mpg LESS with the 10 percent ethanol blend than it is with the pure gas blend in the summer.  I get 17-18 during winter, and as much as 22 mpg during summer.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2011, 01:36:38 PM »
Which may be part of the reason that pure gasoline in winter is nigh on impossible to come by. 

And for whatever reason, my gas mileage (same driving habits) is about 3-4 mpg LESS with the 10 percent ethanol blend than it is with the pure gas blend in the summer.  I get 17-18 during winter, and as much as 22 mpg during summer.

I haven't used "dry gas" in the winter in ages.  I will have to see if I still have a can in the shed.

I will have to go look right after I scrape ice off the front steps. :whistling:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2011, 01:52:22 PM »

And for whatever reason, my gas mileage (same driving habits) is about 3-4 mpg LESS with the 10 percent ethanol blend than it is with the pure gas blend in the summer.  I get 17-18 during winter, and as much as 22 mpg during summer.

Providing self-drying fuel is, perhaps, a small part of the decision mix.

However, there were a couple of "political" reasons for the 10 - 15% ethanol mixed fuels.

First is government subsidies for the use of ethanol which the Fed pays to the refiners to continue the practice, this is tied to the farm and environmental ethanol lobby. (DUmmies call this "corporate welfare".....even though it is THEIR advocacy groups that create this)

Second, mixing 10 to 20% ethanol with gasoline reduces NOX and CO2 emissions produced by a vehicle by a slight amount, and these regulations typically come from state environmental agencies.  Unfortunately all of the various state (and even city) regulations result in twelve different "blends" of fuel (at last count) that refiners need to produce.  This complicates logistics, and results in wide price and availability variations from state to state on fuel.

No government official would ever propose this, but simply having the Feds adopt the most stringent fuel mix/emissions standards for the entire country would reduce the price of gasoline by 20%.......overnight.......and eliminate "spot shortages", and the resultant price swings.  This simple solution makes far too much sense, and it would have the further benefit of eliminating a plethora of state bureaucratic jobs.

doc
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 01:56:01 PM by TVDOC »

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2011, 02:15:41 PM »
I haven't used "dry gas" in the winter in ages.  I will have to see if I still have a can in the shed.

I will have to go look right after I scrape ice off the front steps. :whistling:

Yup, there is a can of Christy Dry Gas (methenol) from @ 1997.  

ETA At least they are not putting MTBE in any more ( right??) 
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 02:24:51 PM by zeitgeist »
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline thundley4

« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2011, 03:15:50 PM »
Went by a station today, $3.49 for ethanol blend and $3.59 for the non-blended.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2011, 03:41:19 PM »
I pay $5.20 per gal of diesel.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »
Another day, another 14 cents.  I wish I was kidding.  Cumby's by the house was $3.369 this morning, $3.509 this afternoon.

FML.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2011, 11:02:05 PM »
Gas went up anywhere between 5 and 10 cents tonight for the week. Our gas prices only change once a week, it was quite a rush at the gas station today.

Offline Jmartin

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2011, 01:11:14 AM »
I average 29.4 currently.  I put mid-grade in the car, and drive roads that I can actually move on, instead of stop/starting.  Dang car has an average consumption read-out, and an instant.  I had to change from instant to average, because I was getting too much road rage when people's driving affected my speed, and my MPG. 

I would get road rage regardless. If I am not stuck behind someone or have someone riding my ass I am dodging wrecks almost everyday. I swear the drivers out here get dumber everyday.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2011, 01:22:29 AM »
I average 27 mpg, driving mainly in stop and go traffic. 

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2011, 08:59:59 AM »
Today's AAA average nationally for regular unleaded is $3.471, up from $3.427 yesterday (4.3 cents in a DAY, up 36.3 cents from last month.)

The one thing I really like about the AAA numbers is it gives an "equivalent" E85 price; meaning what price you're paying for the mileage or BTU's you'd normally get from a gallon of gas versus the cheaper E85 price, and it's quite revealing. 

And it's official--California now has the highest average regular unleaded fuel price at $3.845/gal.  Even more expensive than Hawaii and Alaska.
MT and WY are still cheapest at $3.141/$3.143, respectively, as if that's "cheap".  NH today at $3.386, but good luck anywhere around here finding it that cheap.  Most places have already jacked it up to the $3.50-3.55 range.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2011, 09:04:39 AM »
3.39 here today.  At the store I am monitoring that is.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2011, 09:07:22 AM »
$3.37 here last night, but, I get discount coupons for the gas station owned by the supermarket I shop at. I paid only $2.87 per gal. instead.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2011, 09:28:44 AM »
Today's AAA average nationally for regular unleaded is $3.471, up from $3.427 yesterday (4.3 cents in a DAY, up 36.3 cents from last month.)

The one thing I really like about the AAA numbers is it gives an "equivalent" E85 price; meaning what price you're paying for the mileage or BTU's you'd normally get from a gallon of gas versus the cheaper E85 price, and it's quite revealing. 

And it's official--California now has the highest average regular unleaded fuel price at $3.845/gal.  Even more expensive than Hawaii and Alaska.
MT and WY are still cheapest at $3.141/$3.143, respectively, as if that's "cheap".  NH today at $3.386, but good luck anywhere around here finding it that cheap.  Most places have already jacked it up to the $3.50-3.55 range.

Yes, and I need to fill up today  :bawl:

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2011, 09:41:50 AM »
I topped off last night (less than 1/2 tank.)  $32.00

Gotta run down to Boston and pick up a CC'er tonight.