Author Topic: DUmmie "Boomer" reluctant to go to the movies, nads weighs in  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Tess Anderson

http://www.democraticunderground.com/10023359860

this is really long:

Sun Jul 28, 2013, 02:19 PM

Boomer (2,364 posts)

Security checkpoint at the movie theater

My partner and I left the house this afternoon to see Wolverine, but we had one qualm about this plan; the last time we'd been to the movies at this particular theater complex, we'd had our purses searched. This change in process caught us by surprise, with tickets in hand, so we went through that security check as requested, but this time around we weren't so eager to repeat that exercise.

On the face of it -- as blandly iterated by the theater manager -- this policy is about checking bags for weapons to ensure a safer experience for customers. In truth, it's nonsense. Men are the most likely people to carry guns and shoot-up an establishment and they're far more likely to stick a gun in a pocket of their cargo pants than in a man-purse. The most violent movie incident in Aurora, Colorado involved a man with assault rifles entering through an exit door. Checking women's purses is not an effective policy; it's just a token (and somewhat discriminatory) gesture to create an illusion of safety while furthering a very real erosion of personal privacy.

Beyond that inane illusion of saftey, however, is yet another creeping normalization of "Your papers, please" authoritarian control of our daily lives. Our gun culture resists any kind of regulation of our freedom to own weapons, but then meekly bows down to the checkpoints against gun violence that permeate our participation in community activities.

This is ultimately what my partner and I were objecting to: the normalization of authoritarian control that numbs everyone to a process that can slide into crowd-control with less sterling motivations than protecting us from the violence of unbalanced individuals.

The larger context was emphasized this morning, before we even left for the theater, as we listened to Diane Feinstein discuss Snowden on a news program. Without even blinking at the screaming irony of her own statements, Feinstein spoke somberly about our reassurances to Russia that we would not torture or kill Snowden, and that she felt as a former KGB agent, Putin would most assuredly understand the United States' concern over Snowden's actions.

When we've reached the point where we count on the shared understanding of the KGB to act in our national interest, we have blatantly and openly admitted that we are a fascist state.

Welcome to the American Homeland.

nadin knew it all along:

Response to Boomer (Original post)

Sun Jul 28, 2013, 02:26 PM

nadinbrzezinski (124,001 posts)

3. 10 years ago, after 911, I knew it was security theater

When a week into the mess I called the cops for an abandoned package at the retaining wall of a mall.

The mall security were apoplectic.

10 years ago hardening movie theaters by having armed security and equal security checks would have made some sense from a security stand point. Local county fair had metal detectors that were not connected, so you could bring anything, and knives are not allowed, but are sold inside.

This is why I call all this pure security theater, and normalization.

Another step they should have taken, never did...get rid of all the big blue mail boxes that can receive a largish package. (Every so often pipe bombs go in there)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: DUmmie "Boomer" reluctant to go to the movies, nads weighs in
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »
My, how the cousin seems to know everything before anybody else does.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 04:28:18 PM »
As usual, she lies, once again, just to make herself look important.
nadinbrzezinski (124,001 posts)

3. 10 years ago, after 911, I knew it was security theater
No you didn't, liar.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »
we have blatantly and openly admitted that we are a fascist state.

Welcome to the American Homeland.

:crybaby:

If not for Conservative opposition to your retarded worldview, it would be much, much worse.  You jackasses want more and more government to do everything for you for free, then whine like befuddled children when the leviathan begins to bother you.   :bigbird:

We told you a long time ago:  A government big enough to give you everything, is also big to take anything away.

You vote for this crap.

Suck it.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 05:41:46 PM »
In truth, it's nonsense. Men are the most likely people to carry guns and shoot-up an establishment and they're far more likely to stick a gun in a pocket of their cargo pants than in a man-purse.
Smacks of profiling based on the sex of the person. The DUmmies should know better than to do it.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 05:52:49 PM »
Welcome to gun-free zones.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline dane

• http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-ash2/37017
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:18:36 PM »

The subject line was good -  "...nads weighs in..."
This too shall pass.

Online miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:09:01 PM »
"Another step they should have taken, never did...get rid of all the big blue mail boxes that can receive a largish package. (Every so often pipe bombs go in there)"

What a liar.

No, they don't.

Here is a quote straight from the Postal Inspector's site.

It is important to be alert for suspicious parcels, but keep in mind that a mail bomb is an extremely rare occurrence. To illustrate just how rare, Postal Inspectors have investigated an average of 16 mail bombs over the last few years. By contrast, each year, the Postal Service processed over 170 billion pieces of mail. That means during the last few years, the chances that a piece of mail actually contains a bomb average far less than one in 10 billion!

I've been working for the USPS for quite some time now, and I have never heard anything about any mail bomb found in a collection can. The closest it comes involves a grunge band musician & pot activist who put pipe bombs in people's private mailboxes circa 2002. He was strategically placing the bombs so that a map marking the explosions would form a smiley face. The bombs weren't going into collection cans.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 09:24:28 PM »
So libs don't like when their liberties are curtailed ? Hmmm who would have predicted that ? What's good for thee is not for me.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 07:15:47 AM »
They can search my purse all they want. I don't carry my gun there.
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 07:31:57 AM »
People like this make my job interesting...

My response is always the same: You have the right to privacy and not be searched and I have the right to throw you out. Gotta love private property.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 08:02:43 AM »
They can search my purse all they want. I don't carry my gun there.

I never could understand why women CCW in a purse. If the woman are anything like I am, it would take me 10 minutes of grubbing around in the purse just to find it.

The Liberal that complained about women being searched for weapons has to be from a very different era then myself.    Way back in my day the male gang members had their girlfriends hold their knives and guns for them, females were seldom searched as there were few if any police woman to do so.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 11:59:30 AM »
I never could understand why women CCW in a purse. If the woman are anything like I am, it would take me 10 minutes of grubbing around in the purse just to find it.

The Liberal that complained about women being searched for weapons has to be from a very different era then myself.    Way back in my day the male gang members had their girlfriends hold their knives and guns for them, females were seldom searched as there were few if any police woman to do so.

I have a special retainer sewn into a couple of my purses for my holster when I am wearing something that can't conceal my gun. But I prefer to have it on my person when I can but with the way that women's fashion goes it is hard to dress to conceal all the time. Besides it's kind of funny that I am one of the few women out there with a Coach bag custom modified for a 9mm.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 12:46:14 PM »
I have a special retainer sewn into a couple of my purses for my holster when I am wearing something that can't conceal my gun. But I prefer to have it on my person when I can but with the way that women's fashion goes it is hard to dress to conceal all the time. Besides it's kind of funny that I am one of the few women out there with a Coach bag custom modified for a 9mm.
That would make it a Coach Gun.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 02:51:07 PM »
Just you and Pam Dawson!
Of course Pam's purse is a knockoff.

Offline jukin

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 11:55:44 PM »
I to am reluctant to go to the movies and have not for six or seven years as I disagree with the Hollywood illiteratti and will give them none of my money. Make all those theaters open carry and not be worried one bit about a shooting there.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 01:43:36 AM »
I to am reluctant to go to the movies and have not for six or seven years as I disagree with the Hollywood illiteratti and will give them none of my money. Make all those theaters open carry and not be worried one bit about a shooting there.
With good gun control every patron would put at least one hole in the attempted perpetrator.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 02:51:30 AM »
"Another step they should have taken, never did...get rid of all the big blue mail boxes that can receive a largish package. (Every so often pipe bombs go in there)"

What a liar.

No, they don't.

Here is a quote straight from the Postal Inspector's site.

I've been working for the USPS for quite some time now, and I have never heard anything about any mail bomb found in a collection can. The closest it comes involves a grunge band musician & pot activist who put pipe bombs in people's private mailboxes circa 2002. He was strategically placing the bombs so that a map marking the explosions would form a smiley face. The bombs weren't going into collection cans.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2002/05/09/mailbox-bomber-was-making-smiley-face/

I remember that.  One of the bombs was placed in an Eldridge, IA mailbox which was just about 20 miles from where I lived.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 04:22:38 AM »

My wife and I have gone to the movies exactly two times in the last ten years--the first time was for The Passion of the Christ, and the second was at the end of this past January, to see Les Miserables.  That's it.  I'm with you on the Hollyweird illiteratti.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 05:42:26 AM »
Just you and Pam Dawson!
Of course Pam's purse is a knockoff.
I have a Coach, she has a cooch. :-)

Just wondering something. Did pammy finally off herself? Haven't seen her lately.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 05:45:48 AM by AprilRazz »

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2013, 06:52:13 AM »
I have a Coach, she has a cooch. :-)

Just wondering something. Did pammy finally off herself? Haven't seen her lately.

Glock in her cooch?
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.