Author Topic: Du3ling Dummies go for Granite  (Read 971 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Du3ling Dummies go for Granite
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:09:53 PM »
Yes friends we have a Steel Cage Match ( or should that be Quarry?)

Two top ranked primitives press their luck posting about the slack bluster democrat congress.  

First up the Kaput primitive, Kpete:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7231448

kpete  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-15-09 11:26 AM
Original message
W Only Had 55  
 The GOP had at most 55 Senators during Bush's presidency
by John Aravosis (DC) on 12/15/2009 11:17:00 AM

I've heard people say that it's not fair to criticize the Democrats for botching health care reform because the Democrats never truly had a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. Sure, they have 60 votes in principle, the argument goes, but with Lieberman, Nelson, Landrieu, and Bayh counted as four of those votes, it's not really a solid 60.

Perhaps. But then how was George Bush so effective in passing legislation during his presidency when he never had more than 55 Republicans in the Senate? In fact, during Bush's most effective years, from 2001 to 2005, the GOP had a grand total of 50, and then 51, Senators. The slimmest margin possible.

And look at what George Bush was able to accomplish in the Congress with fewer Senators than the Democrats have today:

<snip>

very small bondfire.... but then comes drainbramage...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7232371

DainBramaged  (1000+ posts)      Tue Dec-15-09 01:20 PM
Original message
The GOP had at most 55 Senators during Bush's presidency  
 Edited on Tue Dec-15-09 01:25 PM by DainBramaged
I've heard people say that it's not fair to criticize the Democrats for botching health care reform because the Democrats never truly had a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate. Sure, they have 60 votes in principle, the argument goes, but with Lieberman, Nelson, Landrieu, and Bayh counted as four of those votes, it's not really a solid 60.

Perhaps. But then how was George Bush so effective in passing legislation during his presidency when he never had more than 55 Republicans in the Senate? In fact, during Bush's most effective years, from 2001 to 2005, the GOP had a grand total of 50, and then 51, Senators. The slimmest margin possible.

<snip>

This one has more primitives dancing 'round the flames but only one substantial comment

dmallind (1000+ posts)      Tue Dec-15-09 01:50 PM
Response to Original message
23. But if we hold GWB to same standards
 Edited on Tue Dec-15-09 01:51 PM by dmallind
He uterly failed the anti-choice base and threw them under the bus with no significant abortion restrictions in 8 years

He utterly failed the homophobe base and threw them under the bus because he did not stop gay marriage gaining a foothold and did nothing to strengthen DADT into a witch-hunt with 8 years to do it in

He utterly failed the racist base and threw them under the bus because there still isn't a 50' razor wire and mantrap barrier on the Mexiacn border

He betrayed the anti-tax core who got him elected by not even matching Reagan's upper brackett rates.

He betrayed the true Republican zero-regulation crowd by not dismantling the EPA, OHSA and the SEC.

He betrayed free market party activists by passing the biggest expansion of Medicare in history.

He turned his back on the home-school Xian zealots by not forcing prayer and Creationism into public schools.

What the GOP got done is far far far from what they wanted at the ideological level of the party. Even wins like war funding were tactical opportunities leveraging the zeitgeist rather than core ideologies pushed on an unwilling opposition or public.

Who'll be first to catch a granite ring through the nose?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:18:45 PM by zeitgeist »
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: Du3ling Dummies go for Granite
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 05:12:06 PM »
Oh my.

That's a pretty contentious bonfire, the primitives brawling.

It's well worth seeing in its original flaming glory at the link.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »
if you can't go for the gold, silver, bronze, aluminum, slag.... go for the granite!

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:11:21 PM »
Oh my.

That's a pretty contentious bonfire, the primitives brawling.

It's well worth seeing in its original flaming glory at the link.

I was kind of disappointed Kaput didn't call out Drain rampage for posting the same article a couple hours later in "breaking news" ( it has since been moved to general ). 

I had to console myself with this:

jgraz  (1000+ posts)        Tue Dec-15-09 12:36 PM
Response to Original message
11. Hey, c'mon. Obama and the Democrats are getting plenty done
 Check out this impressive list of accomplishments:

- Kill real healthcare reform for at least another decade
- Restart the Wall Street gravy train while further weakening the middle class
- Slow-walk climate change legislation in the hopes that the people forget about it for a couple more years
- Continue and escalate our illegal wars
- Offshore torture to Bagram while continuing illegal detention at Guantanamo
- Overturn the Nuremburg protocols and let war criminals go free
- Keep Bush's corrupt set of US Attorneys in place with a new bipartisan stamp of approval
- Renew and extend the PATRIOT act (woohoo!)
- Appoint a creationist to head the National Institutes of Health
- Push civil rights for gays to the back-burner while giving a faux-Christian bigot an international forum to spew his hate
- Freeze out any progressive voices while cutting deals with every corporate CEO on the planet.

Did I miss anything?

which showed up on Kaputs thread while I was making a 'minor adjustment' to the pellet stove.
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Oceander

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:14:54 PM »
This could be fun to watch!

Offline Reality vs DU

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 08:28:01 PM »
This thread has some DUmmies claiming the media is conservative, they can't possibly believe this shit.  One such example of a DUmmie claiming NPR is conservative...  :thatsright:

Tumbulu (756 posts)     Tue Dec-15-09 08:47 PM
Response to Reply #44
73. it is not true
 The wrong wingers are always on the offense and the media gives them more time. Time the interviews yourself. I did it for one week on NPR and it was 65% wrong wingers.

One cannot work within the confines of constant media attack. The media is owned by corporate america. It protects itself and not the people. 

Bullshit! You did not do a time study on NPR for a whole week.  And if you are dumb enough to think the media has a conservative bias you need to spend some time at Newsbusters and get an education.

Offline Karin

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 10:52:17 AM »
while giving a faux-Christian bigot an international forum to spew his hate

Who is he talking about here? 

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 02:47:23 PM »
Gosh darn I seam to remember a certain panzycrat named dashle that was the leader of the senate from 2001-2003.  Now, I'm no where as smarter as your typical DUchebag but doesn't that mean the donks have control of the senate.  And again, I'm no sooper jenuz in math but doesn't that mean the donks had a majority?

Pleaze helps me sooper talanted an giftered at the DUmp how did that work?
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.