Author Topic: primitive offers automotive advice  (Read 1806 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitive offers automotive advice
« on: January 10, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/11282965

Oh my.

Eleanors38 (6,282 posts)       Thu Jan 9, 2014, 11:12 PM

An MPG tip for your car: Use defrost sparingly.

The "defrost" setting on your car works well to quickly defrost your windshield by "reverse cycling" your A.C. compressor to provide warm dry air to clear condensation, but leaving it on (either for defrost or heat) means you are giving up 2-4 mpg because you are using the A.C.

Try using the "vent" settings, adjusting the heat as necessary, after the windshield is clear. This employs only the fan and the heater core, not the A.C. Check your owner's manual to see how your settings work. If unsure, open the hood of your running engine while the heat or defrosy is on and see if your A.C. is cycling on -- a pulley clutch will be click & start spinning, stop, then resume. This means you are using the compre$$or!

Another wasteful, polluting and unnecessary practice: Letting your car idle to warm up. God! this is awful. Start your car, put it into gear, and start driving slowly without revving. Use your A.C. defrost at this time, then go to vent. Your car will warm up faster & use less gas, & suffer less wear. And you won't pollute as much. Damned urban legend was dead by the 1950s. I've driven cars 50+ yrs old immediately after starting on cold days without problems.

No primitive's shown up at this campfire yet, and I really don't know.

I know it's stupid to "warm up" the motor vehicle, but the deal about the defroster, I never heard of.

Is the primitive correct or not?  Anybody know?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Re: primitive offers automotive advice
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 02:35:52 PM »
DUmmies can't even cook grilled cheese properly. Why should I take their advice on cars?  :whatever:
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 02:39:44 PM »
Another wasteful, polluting and unnecessary practice: Letting your car idle to warm up. God! this is awful. Start your car, put it into gear, and start driving slowly without revving. Use your A.C. defrost at this time, then go to vent. Your car will warm up faster & use less gas, & suffer less wear. And you won't pollute as much. Damned urban legend was dead by the 1950s. I've driven cars 50+ yrs old immediately after starting on cold days without problems.

Bwuahahahaha!!!

Here in Toronto, I fire up the car and turn on the car seat heater, all the window defoggers, the space heater, EVERYTHING! 45 minutes or so before I head to the office.  No way will I literally freeze my ass when I am headed in.

The libtards can screw themselves if that keeps them warm.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 02:43:43 PM »

As to the operation of the defog function in newer cars; yes.  The older systems blew warm wet air over your cold wet windshield usually making it worse until the glass actually warmed up.  Using dry air from the AC speeds up the process but once the w/s is cleared, turning off the defog might save a few drops of gas.  

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 02:47:55 PM »

Oh my.

No primitive's shown up at this campfire yet, and I really don't know.

I know it's stupid to "warm up" the motor vehicle, but the deal about the defroster, I never heard of.

If the car is equipped with A/C, then YES, the defroster works off the A/C compressor. But the heat is provided by the enigine block, so it don't heat up any faster.

Best thing when starting your car's engine on a cold morning (Or anytime of a cold day) is to let it idle for 5 minutes. Then roar off to your destination as near to light speed as you can.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »
If the car is equipped with A/C, then YES, the defroster works off the A/C compressor. But the heat is provided by the enigine block, so it don't heat up any faster.

Hmmm.

That must be why, when the defroster kicks in (it doesn't kick in until the engine itself is slightly warm), there's a split-second but really strong "hesitation," after which all runs okay.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 06:56:35 PM »
I use a clean dry towel. 5 Cents please.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2014, 07:16:11 PM »
Yeah, the primitive is right about the window defogger - HOWEVER

If one uses AC or their defogger all of the time, it will cost the average car between 1/2 and 1 gallon per fill up. Or between $2 and $4 for 87 octane. Current prices dictate a fill-up costs me about $65 for cheap gas. Losing even 5 bucks of that for comfort or visibility is no big deal to me.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2014, 07:46:40 PM »
As usual, the DUmbass has it wrong.

The A/C compressor DOES NOT "reverse cycle" (a la HEAT PUMP) to provide warm air to defrost a windshield.  The heat is provided by the engine coolant, and no heat is provided until the engine starts to warm.

Most cars today will run the A/C compressor on the defrost cycle, along with the heater, to DRY the air to prevent fogging.  However, if the temperature is below 45-50 degrees, the compressor won't cycle, because the A/C evaporator would ice up.

If you're A/C is costing you 2-4 mpg, you got more problems than just running the defroster.  But then again, we are talking about a DUmmie.
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »
I use a clean dry towel. 5 Cents please.

Your suggestion requires something clean, so the primitives will find your advice of no use.

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2014, 07:41:01 AM »

Blind squirrel, etc.

Yes, the defrost setting uses the AC system.  Yes, the AC system is a load on the engine that reduces MPG.   By that much?  I don't know.  Maybe.

Thing is, defrost is meant to get interior moisture.  Once that's done, or if it isn't necessary to begin with, use the conventional heater -- especially if, like me, you can set it to blow on the windshield to heat the glass and remove/prevent exterior frost and ice buildup.

Defrost is almost useless for exterior frost.  The regular heat is much warmer, usually.
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline Delmar

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2014, 08:57:45 AM »
I can't imagine that you'll save much money by following this stupid tip, but I guess every penny counts--until the government starts paying mileage and per diem for unemployment insurance collecting job seekers they will be on the hook for job search expenses and gas bills can add up to $3,000.00 pretty quickly.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 06:03:37 PM »
As usual, the DUmbass has it wrong.

The A/C compressor DOES NOT "reverse cycle" (a la HEAT PUMP) to provide warm air to defrost a windshield.  The heat is provided by the engine coolant, and no heat is provided until the engine starts to warm.

Most cars today will run the A/C compressor on the defrost cycle, along with the heater, to DRY the air to prevent fogging.  However, if the temperature is below 45-50 degrees, the compressor won't cycle, because the A/C evaporator would ice up.

If you're A/C is costing you 2-4 mpg, you got more problems than just running the defroster.  But then again, we are talking about a DUmmie.

And DD is correct, as usual.  :cheersmate: :cheersmate:

Not sure when the auto companies came up with this bright idea. My opinion is if I want the AC on I will hit the damned AC button. Just like I drive a standard because I want to decide when to shift the damned gears, not some computer or something based on RPM some damned engineer decided on.

To me a vehicle is meant to get me from point A to point B reliably. I don't want it talking to me, I don't want it telling me I am speeding or whatnot, I don't want an amber light telling me when to shift, I don't want it to decide when my headlights can turn on or off, and I damned sure don't want it hitting the breaks by itself and I double damned sure don't want it driving itself.  I want the damned thing to get me where I am going and THAT IS FREAKING IT!!!!   :rant: :rant: :rant:

Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 06:15:16 PM »
And DD is correct, as usual.  :cheersmate: :cheersmate:

Not sure when the auto companies came up with this bright idea. My opinion is if I want the AC on I will hit the damned AC button. Just like I drive a standard because I want to decide when to shift the damned gears, not some computer or something based on RPM some damned engineer decided on.

To me a vehicle is meant to get me from point A to point B reliably. I don't want it talking to me, I don't want it telling me I am speeding or whatnot, I don't want an amber light telling me when to shift, I don't want it to decide when my headlights can turn on or off, and I damned sure don't want it hitting the breaks by itself and I double damned sure don't want it driving itself.  I want the damned thing to get me where I am going and THAT IS FREAKING IT!!!!   :rant: :rant: :rant:

You're OK with NSA knowing where you are at any given moment though right?

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2014, 06:22:42 PM »

I want so badly to get one of them things and hack the heck out of it.  It will think I am in the lowest levels of the Gulf of Mexico.  And going 700 MPH.

For b/g just see my other comments upthread :)

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 06:24:13 PM »

I work for the NSA, BD. Got a government car and everything. They already know where I am. I was assigned to this site to keep an eye on you malcontents and ne'er do wells. I got your reeducation barracks already assigned. I'm just waiting for you to really screw up.

I got my eye on you now, BD. Better watch your step!!!!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Bad Dog

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 06:34:50 PM »
I work for the NSA, BD. Got a government car and everything. They already know where I am. I was assigned to this site to keep an eye on you malcontents and ne'er do wells. I got your reeducation barracks already assigned. I'm just waiting for you to really screw up.

I got my eye on you now, BD. Better watch your step!!!!

Well, if Fredumb and I get this hacking thing worked out good luck finding us. 

By the way, I feel the same as you about talking cars.  My son-in-law was very proud of his Honda whatever but, when I asked the computer to direct us to the nearest house of ill repute, it gave us directions to shoe stores.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 06:40:19 PM »

By the way, I feel the same as you about talking cars.  My son-in-law was very proud of his Honda whatever but, when I asked the computer to direct us to the nearest house of ill repute, it gave us directions to shoe stores.

That explains how I just was directed to a place named "Rainbow Home Club."

I am not sure what they sell but I think I just rang up $235 of something or other..

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »

By the way, I feel the same as you about talking cars.  My son-in-law was very proud of his Honda whatever but, when I asked the computer to direct us to the nearest house of ill repute, it gave us directions to shoe stores.

FreeDumb, AKA agent Mike, is my assistant.  :fuelfire: :fuelfire:

Edited to add: And we know where you live, where you work, we know it all, BD!!!! The KGB and the Gestapo together ain't as good as we are.

Now for a little bribe...  I mean tip... I might be persuaded to ignore your activities. PM for the amount you wish to tip. I'll have it taken out of your checking. I already know your account number. What? You think hackers got into Target? Nope. That was us. And that fool got executed  for getting caught.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:00:46 PM by I_B_Perky »

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 07:09:26 PM »
That explains how I just was directed to a place named "Rainbow Home Club."

I am not sure what they sell but I think I just rang up $235 of something or other..

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »

That reminds me of the people who name their home wi-fi network "DEA Surveillance Van".

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 08:59:11 PM »
That reminds me of the people who name their home wi-fi network "DEA Surveillance Van".

Oh man that is brilliant.

Next week when I deploy my Wifi that will be the name!

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 09:10:55 PM »

Close.

My home Wi-Fi network it "FBI Surveillance Van".  :-)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 09:13:10 PM »

Oh man that is brilliant.

Next week when I deploy my Wifi that will be the name!

That is freaking hilarious!!!! I thought Skynet and Virus Central was good. Makes me want to name mine NSA Surveillance Van now. If it is a liberal neighborhood... heads will explode.

H5 GB!

Edited to add:

Close.

My home Wi-Fi network it "FBI Surveillance Van".  :-)

H5 to you too Defiant!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 09:16:04 PM by I_B_Perky »

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline biersmythe

• Molon Labe
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 09:41:36 PM »

Thanks for reminding me...its been a bit since I said during a phone call or text so "**** you NSA for your surveillance"....continue on thank you.
Teach a man to build a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life!!!!

Knowledge is half the battle.
The other half is violence!

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

The box said: "Requires Windows XP or better." So i installed Linux.