Author Topic: primitive left job on bad terms  (Read 1800 times)

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: primitive left job on bad terms
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »
They make great projectors though.

Yeah, but it's too bad it's not the kind you can run yer old home movies thru. On second thought, maybe that's a good thing! hahahahaha!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 01:21:35 PM »
Well, here's a question for wasp69, who knows human resources.

While I do interview, I am not an HR guru.  I am picked to interview from the SME side because I have experience and perspective but also because I have a very uncanny ability to sniff out BS from a candidate.  I guess I learned it from having to ferret out truth from junior troopers and my children.

:-)

Frank, an answer of "in way over my head" would be something I would want to know more about.  Honesty is a great thing but I would make damn sure what I was asking you to do wasn't "over your head" in any way before I started paying you.

;)

So, DUmmies, I am about to bestow some information in the form of wisdom - I would advise you walking cluster****s to pay attention because this may help you in the future.

Nikia (10,946 posts)

What to say at an interview when you left on bad terms?

The answer that I've given so far about there being a lot of changes and stress seems to be the best that I've said so far but it still makes me sound like I can't accept change or stress, which has probably prevented me from getting the jobs.

Nikia (10,946 posts)

13. I mentioned culturual changes within the organization

Okay, DUmmie Nikia (for whatever reason) quit its job and threw the lit matchbook on the bridge going out of the door.  This type of shortsighted, feelgood behavior is tremendously stupid.  Acting without thinking in the long term is childish and crippling (their DUmmies, I know, we should expect no better), especially when it comes to job search in the obameconomy.  At this point DUmmie Nikia had to not only find a job that payed roughly what it was making before, but it also has to overcome why it left the last one; something that doesn't make sense to any rational person.

If any of you lurking morons do something like this, be prepared to answer pointed and probing questions about it.  Instead of whining about "change" and "stress", you could say something along the lines of wanting to do something different or wanting to come to their company because your "research" says they more perfectly match what you are trying to do.

Say anything other than the changes stressed you out.  That will make you look like a malcontent and it will land your application into the round file rather quickly.

Now, for the recommendations of the other DUmmies.

Scuba (15,236 posts)

"Impossible demands" might be re-stated as "demands that I compromise my personal ethics" or "demands that were not tolerable from a family perspective".

rbnyc (16,182 posts)

Maybe I would say something like, "It was my choice to leave the organization. Although it was a risk, there had been a cultural shift within the organization and I felt it was my opportunity to find a better relationship, so to speak. I had to make a choice about my role in the changes that were going on. I didn't feel completely bought in. I think it's very important to be committed to the direction of an organization. It was time to look for a better fit."

If pressed for specifics on "cultural changes" I would try to keep it vague. "There are many ways to run a business and people can disagree without either of them being wrong. It's just a question of perspective and style. I want to avoid being overly critical of my former employers. I still feel a sense of gratitude for my experiences there."

dmallind (8,903 posts)

1) Keep complaints vague and impersonal without complaining about workload - I found phrases like "inconsistent and ill-defined priorities for my role and the whole department/company" and "absence of any real metrics that defined and incentivized high performance" to be useful. That way they know you were interested in priorities and high performance, and you are blaming the whole systems and processes of the company not "the boss" when you are talking to a person who will hopefully become "the boss", and will probably think they have a better system of metrics and planning.

2) If you are likely to get a poor reference, set this up upfront with again impersonal statements like "the company's way of managing uncertainty and change were not conducive to employee success. Communication was poor and erratic (every employee survey at nigh every company says this) and change, instead of being collaborative and positive as in well-managed companies (never badmouth change itself - nobody wants an inflexible worker), was thrown at the wall in the hope it would stick with no real input from or guidance for those affected. It became a very uncomfortable and unproductive environment filled with conflict".

DUmmies, listen up!  This is going to be worth your trip over here:  If you open the door, I'm going to walk through it.  If you say any of the above, I'm going to pull the string and dig for more.  If you try and keep it vague (as per the bolded above), the interview will be over at that point.  I would say "thanks for coming in, we'll be in touch" and your resume will go into the "rejected" pile.  If you don't want to have to explain something to a perspective employer, don't bring it up and whatever you do, do not try and be dodgy about it.

Ever.

BTW, DUmmie rbnyc's first and last parts of its post were pretty good.  Too bad the middle (what I quoted) made it a shit sandwich.

blue ivy schlotsky (18 posts)

7. I guess this is why I have been unemployed for over four years!

I am repulsed and appalled by what we are expected to go through to have the "honor" of being able to earn a paycheck

I think I may have found your problem, DUmbass.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »
Here's a followup, DUmmies:

Bringing up disagreements with colleagues or managers as a reason for leaving a former employer doesn't bode well that you'll be reliable and reasonable in a new position--even if it is a remote one. "Mentioning this is typically deemed as someone who is unable to handle situations professionally and without violence," Downing says. Unless you're required to disclose that you're undergoing some kind of psychological treatment, find an honest way to work around it.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/dumb-things-people-have-said-during-job-interviews.html

It's not just me, kids.
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2012, 11:49:06 AM »
In my long career, I left several places on bad terms.
I never said anything negative about my previous job. Employers do not want to hear that.

Why you left is a generic question, and they want a generic, feel-good answer. "Impossible terms" means fired to an interviewer...or an incompetant.

Generally you want to avoid saying anything bad about the previous employer, while putting yourself in a positive light if at all possible, with some nonsequitur like "Well, I just felt there were some organizational things going on that limited the upside potential of the job for me, and I needed to look for something where I could stand out more."  If they ask about a gap in employment (Translation, "Why didn't you line up that next job first?"), you could tell them it didn't feel right hunting for a job while you were on their time, at which point the BS detectors will all start clanging, or go with the time demands of the old job just prohibited you from calling or interviewing during the workday and you saved up so you could make a clean break to start searching.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 08:58:57 AM »
**UPDATE**

“Think before you speak” is always a good policy -- and at work it's even more important. Saying the wrong thing to your boss can do serious damage to your career -- and some of the things bosses don't like to hear may surprise you. We checked in with some managers and came up with this list of nine phrases they strongly dislike...

1. "I need a raise."

2. “That just isn’t possible.”

3. “I can’t stand working with ____.”

4. “I partied too hard last night -- I'm so hung over!”

5. “But I emailed you about that last week.”

6. “It’s not my fault.”

7. "I don't know.”

8. “But we've always done it this way."

9. “Let me set you up with...”

http://career-services.monster.com/yahooarticle/things-not-to-say-to-your-boss#WT.mc_n=yta_fpt_article_9_things_not_to_say_to_boss

Never let it be said that wasp69 is an uncaring soul who doesn't want loser DUmmies to succeed and be productive members of society.

C.S. Lewis

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2012, 08:33:18 AM »
**UPDATE**

In order to protect yourself from the next round of layoffs, you need to convince your employers that you're valuable and that your existence alone benefits the company.

"Today's business environment doesn't allow for satisfaction with the status quo. It requires constant growth and change," writes Mark Samuel in his book Making Yourself Indispensable: The Power of Personal Accountability.

"Being indispensable means that you are adaptable, learning and growing with your organization as it changes and evolves...at the end of the day, you are either working to make yourself indispensable or working to make yourself obsolete."

Samuel provides seven tips to help you become the most valuable person to your employers:

1. Never take the shortcut.

2. Be adaptable, not rigid.

3. Being a perfectionist will be your downfall.

4. Be of service to others without expecting anything in return.

5. Be purpose-driven, not goal-driven.

6. Be assertive. Life is a game, so play big or go home.
(but don't be a snotty asshole, either)

7. Forgive others quickly.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/secrets-toyour-success/7-ways-yourself-irreplaceable-office-191444587.html

Write this stuff down, DUmmies, I'm not posting because I like the sound of my fingers hitting the keys.

C.S. Lewis