Author Topic: While I have reliable Internet access...a resounding "bite me" (Atman)  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x1849146

Atman  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-31-11 09:10 AM
Original message

While I have reliable Internet access...a resounding "bite me"

Edited on Wed Aug-31-11 09:12 AM by Atman

To all those who say Irene was nothing but hype. It may not have been Katrina (unless you're in VT or upstate NY), but it's a disaster for lots of us in New England. Two days with a chainsaw in my hands, hauling 5 gal water buckets from the lake, every drive entailing back-tracking because of flooded streams or downed trees. And try finding a hot shower. There is no indication of power any time soon. My ears will ring for weeks with the sound of generators and chainsaws. It's not "catastrophe," to be sure. But you guys sitting there typing condescending messages to us -- and I still have it way easy compared to VT/NY -- need to get some compassion. We may not be waist-deep in filth at the Superdome, but it ain't exactly livin' da vida loca.

:lmao:

No, it's not pleasant but most of us have been there at one time or another.  It's simply not that big of a deal ... unless you are a DUmmie!

deutsey (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-31-11 09:18 AM
Response to Original message

1. I spent all Saturday night sitting outside on a drain grate with water up to my neck

keeping the grate clear of debris so our neighborhood wouldn't flood. Even before that, I took the threat of the hurrican seriously.

What I hated was how many media types ramped up the fear factor (for ratings, I presume) instead of trying to inform the public.

Government response from Federal down to the town I live in was great, imo.

I think I saw an military emergency person on CBS's Early Show who said the same thing. The doofus show host asked him about the hype and he basically said all the hype was on the media side, not the officials issuing evacuation orders.

I agree.  

This one is claiming to have saved an entire neighborhood from flooding!  LOL

Not much to the thread, I just thought it was funny.

KC *survivor of a few hurricanes, whiner of none*
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:43:18 PM by franksolich »
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: While I have reliable Internet access...a resounding "bite me"
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:26:09 AM »
I've survived floods, snowstorms, and tornadoes (not directly, but close enough that the winds knocked over trees and cut the power for days).  

I have yet to go on the internet and bitch and moan about it, and I'm not now.

A resounding "Bite Me" to Texas Toast/Pedro/Atman, whatever your real name is.  :bird:
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:36:37 AM by Ralph Wiggum »
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:35:18 AM »
Atman  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-31-11 09:10 AM
Original message
My ears will ring for weeks with the sound of generators and chainsaws.

Wear ear protection, dumbshit.

Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:46:49 AM »
It's seems Pedro is having to barely scratch the surface of dealing with what real Americans have to deal with everyday -- taking personal responsibility to see to it that things are done.  He has an auto, water, and a house, so all things considered he's got it pretty easy.  No doubt this type of cleaning up should be the responsibility of gov't, that way Pedro wouldn't have to get his hands dirty, but alas life isn't always fair.

Poor Pedro.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:59:52 AM »
**** off Texas breadstick. There are people here in Iowa that have had to deal with flood waters since JUNE 2011. Alot of them are not in their homes. There are two towns close by that are STILL underwater.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »
I hate to be petty, but I think NJ got the worst of Irene, not so much the shore area but inland the rivers caused towns to become lakes, towns that never saw flooding like this ever.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 11:06:51 AM »
Atman  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-31-11 09:10 AM
Original message

Two days with a chainsaw in my hands
I'm pretty sure that girlyboy Pedro Picasso would have no idea which end of a chain saw to hold, let alone how to start one.

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 11:20:49 AM »
**** off Texas breadstick. There are people here in Iowa that have had to deal with flood waters since JUNE 2011. Alot of them are not in their homes. There are two towns close by that are STILL underwater.
Iowa has a Republican Governor so in his mind (and the lefties) it does not matter. The lefties were praying for a Katrina moment where Obama could walk out into the flood waters, raise his hands and pull back the seas...in democrat controlled states. Unfortunately for them the hurricane was not that powerful to blow Obama off the golf course to "take charge". Which for everyone else is probably a good thing, keeping that SCFOAMF out of the way of the people doing the cleanup work.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 11:39:56 AM »
Dear stale toast

Nobody said the storm was nothing but hype, just that it was being overhyped. Everything else is your own victim story and you're just angry because your Internet isn't reliable enough so you can be bragging about your victim status to your fellow DUmmies.

Buy a stamp and send Skins a letter. If you include a check, he may actually read it.

Yours

Duke
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 12:20:09 PM »
Atman  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-31-11 09:10 AM
Original message

Edited on Wed Aug-31-11 09:12 AM by Atman

To all those who say Irene was nothing but hype. It may not have been Katrina (unless you're in VT or upstate NY), but it's a disaster for lots of us in New England. Two days with a chainsaw in my hands, hauling 5 gal water buckets from the lake, every drive entailing back-tracking because of flooded streams or downed trees. And try finding a hot shower. There is no indication of power any time soon. My ears will ring for weeks with the sound of generators and chainsaws. It's not "catastrophe," to be sure. But you guys sitting there typing condescending messages to us -- and I still have it way easy compared to VT/NY -- need to get some compassion. We may not be waist-deep in filth at the Superdome, but it ain't exactly livin' da vida loca.

"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 02:40:50 PM »
While the heart goes out to all the decent and civilized people who found various degrees of trouble and inconvenience dealing with the recent hurricane, to the Polaroid Kid, Pedro Picasso, the "Atman" primitive, franksolich sends a hearty "**** you, ha ha."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: While I have reliable Internet access...a resounding "bite me" (Atman)
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 02:50:15 PM »
Someone is getting testy. 

Atman  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-31-11 12:34 PM
Response to Reply #8

18. I grew up in Florida. I've been through hurricanes. My point is...

This was, at least for me and my town, as bad as anything I've seen in many years. There is serious damage here, but maybe because we Iive on open water. You assholes that say "so what, it was nothing!" all have power and water.

Heh.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Karin

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 02:52:09 PM »
Pedro's ordeal sounds like extreme camping, which some of us do for fun.  I've lived through 3 natural disasters so far in life, but I'm not going to post anything about them, you'd  :yawn:

Ooo Atman lives on waterfront property.  Sounds like a rich bastard to me.  Hey DU!  Go get 'im! 

Offline Rugnuts

• (not a carpet layer)
  • (ಠ ›ಠ)
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 02:57:45 PM »
Wear ear protection, dumbshit.
:panic:
common sense, a primitive's lacking trait

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
Ooo Atman lives on waterfront property.  Sounds like a rich bastard to me.  Hey DU!  Go get 'im!

The Polaroid Kid is.

You should hear him when he whines about taxes.

And in typical dumb-rich-white-boy fashion, he neglects to explain why he's hauling 5-gallon buckets of water from the lake to his house (it's not clear if this is his primary residence, or his second home)--I've tilted and twisted and convoluted the imagination all different ways, and can't figure out why he'd do that.....unless he's incredibly stupid.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 03:05:35 PM »
The Polaroid Kid is.

You should hear him when he whines about taxes.

And in typical dumb-rich-white-boy fashion, he neglects to explain why he's hauling 5-gallon buckets of water from the lake to his house (it's not clear if this is his primary residence, or his second home)--I've tilted and twisted and convoluted the imagination all different ways, and can't figure out why he'd do that.....unless he's incredibly stupid.

He's probably flushing toilets.  If he's hauling water then his water service must be down for some reason.

Being a DUmmie means he probably fills the toilets up a LOT.

KC

*Stolen

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 03:08:17 PM »
He's probably flushing toilets.  If he's hauling water then his water service must be down for some reason.

Being a DUmmie means he probably fills the toilets up a LOT.

Okay, that solves it.

I was thinking more along the lines of "drinking water," and wondering why he wasn't taking his surplus wealth and buying some one-gallon jugs of distilled water from the grocery store instead.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 03:11:35 PM »
Well the good thing about this storm is we're getting a generator and my Husband isn't even arguing about it, his Mother just got power back and he realizes we need something to fall back on just in case.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
Atman  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Wed Aug-31-11 12:56 PM
Response to Reply #15
22. Yeah, but peeps in NJ & NY were spared, so everyone else is a whiner.

:shrug:

As long as Wall Street didn't get damaged.

We were?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 03:22:58 PM »
We were?

That's news to me, too, and I follow the news.

I thought here was significant damage and inconvenience over there; not as much as had been feared, but still significant.

Maybe I was reading the news wrong out here; remember we get our stuff via the Pony Express.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Karin

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 03:25:43 PM »
I heard New Jersey and the Catskill Mountains got it bad.  Please keep catsmtrods in your prayers.

Offline AprilRazz

• I love my...
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »
One of my neighbors behind our house was bitching about the noise from the generators that were running at my house and another's. He had power and we didn't. Wonder what the odds of him being a DUmmy are?
Proud Navy Wife and Veteran

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." Suzanna Hupp

racist – A statement of surrender during an argument. When two people or disputants are engaged in an acrimonious debate, the side that first says “Racist!” has conceded defeat. Synonymous with saying “Resign” during a chess game, or “Uncle” during a schoolyard fight. Ori

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 04:30:42 PM »
One of my neighbors behind our house was bitching about the noise from the generators that were running at my house and another's. He had power and we didn't. Wonder what the odds of him being a DUmmy are?

I would take the muffler off of the generator, and point the exhaust in his direction.

Also, anybody running a generator should try to keep an eye on it, above just listening for the engine running to believe it is still there.  When we had our big ice storm here a few years back, several people here had their generators stolen by some pretty novel thieves.  They would take a cheap lawnmower, push it over to where your generator is parked, start it up, then switch off the generator, leaving the lawnmower to run, to simulate the sound of a generator engine at work. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:34:05 PM by BattleHymn »

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 04:44:55 PM »
Truly civilized areas use wells with submersible pumps. You have city water when you live cheek by jowl with your neighbors.
I suspect Pedro's wife can afford to live in an area that uses well water, and Pedro, as usual, benefits from her wealth.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 04:49:07 PM »
Truly civilized areas use wells with submersible pumps. You have city water when you live cheek by jowl with your neighbors.

I suspect Pedro's wife can afford to live in an area that uses well water, and Pedro, as usual, benefits from her wealth.

As our colleague Texacon suggested, perhaps the Polaroid Kid is hauling water to use in the commode.

That made eminently reasonable sense, but then I thought about it a bit more.

Given the hoity-toity arrogance of Pedro Picasso, plain old lake water for his intestinal expulsions isn't good enough.

Surely he needs to use bottled Perrier water for that.

So now I'm back to wondering; why is the Atman primitive hauling water from the lake to his house?
apres moi, le deluge