Author Topic: primitives don't like crowds  (Read 563 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives don't like crowds
« on: September 04, 2009, 08:58:28 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=276x9718

Oh my.

This is what happens when one doesn't get a job.

Louisiana1976  (159 posts)        Tue Sep-01-09 03:47 PM
Original message

I suffer from social anxiety (among other things) and normally don't like crowds so I stay home a lot. However, I've several "safe places" including the library and Barnes & Noble. If you don't like crowds, what do you consider your safe places outside the home?

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Tue Sep-01-09 03:58 PM
Response to Original message

1. After I starting going out with my dog, I noticed that more and more places became fine for me. I still don't wade into crowds if I can help it but there really isn't anywhere I can't go with my pup.

One hopes Doug's stupid ex-wife carries a pooper-scooper.

The forked primitive, who has the nerve, the gall, the chutzpah, the unmitigated arrogance, to think he knows more about sports than the cboy4 primitive:

Forkboy  (1000+ posts)      Tue Sep-01-09 04:21 PM

2. Libraries are good for me, too.

I've always wanted to be trapped in one.

I also have no problems being in the middle of a moshpit, or even just the crowd, at shows I go to. I think it's because I know everyone there, no matter what the background, is there for a common purpose, to see a cool band.

Other than that I hate going almost everywhere.

david13  (564 posts)      Fri Sep-04-09 05:06 PM

3. I don't like crowds. However, to cure myself, like learning to swim,

I make it a point to jump in there. Not the library, as I can't talk to anyone. (Shhh.)

Anyplace I go, I make it a point to start talking to the nearest person. It doesn't do anything for them, it's not for them, it's for me. A therapy.

Some respond, some don't.

Some enjoy it, some don't.

But it's something I have to do.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: primitives don't like crowds
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 09:06:42 PM »
I also have no problems being in the middle of a moshpit, or even just the crowd, at shows I go to. I think it's because I know everyone there, no matter what the background, is there for a common purpose, to see a cool band.
Sorry, nutcase DUmmy Forkboy.
Cool bands don't have moshpits.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 09:50:10 PM »
So nice that a group who almost to the last claim some form of psychosis or mental disturbance feels they should be the ones to set public policy.

Guess that is all part of the lunacy.

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 10:26:54 AM »
So now I know the name of the weird asshole who always wants to talk to me when I have to go to a laundromat...  :mental:
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 11:44:39 AM »
I don't really like big crowd scenes, but I don't attach a BS mental disease name for it, either.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 02:11:59 PM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah.  That's why they go to all those peace protests and crap right?

On a side note; this is used as a reason to get disability payments.  I had a woman in my office a couple of years ago that WE were paying $1,400/month for disability because she had a 'social anxiety disorder' and couldn't be around people therefore she couldn't WORK!  She had no problem sitting in my lobby talking to every person who came in though while I worked on their lease ....

They didn't fulfill their lease.  Left 2 months later after trashing the house, didn't clean anything and wouldn't pay for the repairs that needed to be done.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:45:40 PM »
So nice that a group who almost to the last claim some form of psychosis or mental disturbance feels they should be the ones to set public policy.

Guess that is all part of the lunacy.

Well played.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.