Author Topic: AutoNation CEO: "Clunkers program one of the most successful stimulus programs o  (Read 1322 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
scheming daemons  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Wed Sep-02-09 11:01 AM
Original message
AutoNation CEO: "Clunkers program one of the most successful stimulus programs of all time"

Cash for Clunkers was "one of the most successful stimulus programs of all time" that has helped the auto industry on its road to recovery, AutoNation CEO Mike Jackson told CNBC.

"The worst is over," Jackson said in a live interview Wednesday. "This was a necessary shot in the arm for the industry. We're on the way to a gradual recovery."

The four-week period during which the "Clunkers" program ran yielded 700,000 sales, he said, nearly 10-times the normal volume for that period. Under the program, car owners were able to take their gas-guzzlers to dealerships and get credit that ran up to $4,500 per vehicle.

But the industry is rebounding on its own, Jackson said, and the program only accelerated the process.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32654628

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6444729

Next month look for auto sales to plummet again.
As an added bonus when tax time comes the howling from the DUmp about how they got taxed on this.  :-)
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Yeah, a lot of sales. Let's see how that ole compensation thing works out for the car dealerships.  :whatever:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6444729

Next month look for auto sales to plummet again.
As an added bonus when tax time comes the howling from the DUmp about how they got taxed on this.  :-)

I am lurking around my office as I type.....waiting patiently for my 3 coworkers that turned in their cars to flip out over the taxes.  I am being judged as silly for not trading in my car, that is paid for and has 160K on it.  Fact is, I couldn't have traded it in~ gas mileage is still too good.  And, I would never buy a brand spanking new car either. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
I am lurking around my office as I type.....waiting patiently for my 3 coworkers that turned in their cars to flip out over the taxes.  I am being judged as silly for not trading in my car, that is paid for and has 160K on it.  Fact is, I couldn't have traded it in~ gas mileage is still too good.  And, I would never buy a brand spanking new car either. 

Wanna start a pool on how long it takes them to admit that you were right in not trading it in?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Has anyone compared car sales for June or July to August??

Anyone think this is actually going to help the economy?

Offline jukin

Apparently Mike Jackson wants a czar job in the Obumler's administration.

Fact: GM and Chrysler still hemorrhaging cash but it's OK because the taxpayers will give it to them. 

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline IassaFTots

Wanna start a pool on how long it takes them to admit that you were right in not trading it in?

One of them is my boss.  I doubt I will ever hear a peep.  This is the same one who stated "If we, as a company have to take a cut in profit to be a good corporate citizen, than I think we should."  Referring to ARRA, which effectively is ripping off the people who are working, like me.  :puke:

edited for an angry misspell.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 03:29:21 PM by IassaFTots »

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Happy Fun Ball

The repo companies are going to make a killing off of this.

Offline Chump

Yes, yes, in our debt-based recession, caused by over-leveraged private citizens along with major banks, certainly the first step on the road to recovery is encouraging private citizens to abandon assets in favor of liabilities (assets: paid-off car; liabilities: spanking new car payment!).

Incidentally, War is Peace and Freedom is Slavery.

As someone else said, the normalized numbers in the coming months will tell us the trend. 

:popcorn:
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline thundley4

Has anyone compared car sales for June or July to August??

Anyone think this is actually going to help the economy?

Most of what I've seen, sales were up from June and July, however, GM and Chrysler were still down when compared to August 2008.  Ford was the big domestic winner.  I have to wonder how much of that was a backlash against the government takeover.

Offline BlueStateSaint

Re: AutoNation CEO: "Clunkers program one of the most successful stimulus progra
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 04:46:18 PM »
Most of what I've seen, sales were up from June and July, however, GM and Chrysler were still down when compared to August 2008.  Ford was the big domestic winner.  I have to wonder how much of that was a backlash against the government takeover.

Look, growing up, all my father bought were Dodges.  I myself have a GM (Saturn).  I'd never buy either a Mopar or a GM again (since Roger Penske bought Saturn, it's cool; and my brother is the comptroller for a sort-of big auto group here) because of the government bailout.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline IassaFTots

Re: AutoNation CEO: "Clunkers program one of the most successful stimulus progra
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 04:49:45 PM »
Look, growing up, all my father bought were Dodges.  I myself have a GM (Saturn).  I'd never buy either a Mopar or a GM again (since Roger Penske bought Saturn, it's cool; and my brother is the comptroller for a sort-of big auto group here) because of the government bailout.

Saturn owner here too.  I don't know if this was the same all over the US, but Saturn dealerships where I am did not lose one of their employees, which is awesome.   I hope that something comes of the company now that they are free from the GM hold AGAIN.   

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 04:56:18 PM »

Saturn owner here too.  I don't know if this was the same all over the US, but Saturn dealerships where I am did not lose one of their employees, which is awesome.   I hope that something comes of the company now that they are free from the GM hold AGAIN.  

SL sedan owner.  Love the fact that it's easy on gas.  I've abused it by taking it up a logging road to deer camp.  It hasn't not made it yet.  The floorpan shows some BFR damage; it's dented.  I put a hole in the passengers' side fender after missing an 8-pointer one day, and some asshole keyed it in the parking garage I use at work, but other than that, it's been a champ.  Got a hair under 100,000 miles on it.

As for my brother, that dealership group has GMC; Ford; Toyota; and a bunch of other imports.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 04:58:02 PM by BlueStateSaint »

Chase her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Cash for Clunkers was "one of the most successful stimulus programs of all time" that has helped the auto industry on its road to recovery, AutoNation CEO Mike Jackson told CNBC.

"The worst is over," Jackson said in a live interview Wednesday. "This was a necessary shot in the arm for the industry. We're on the way to a gradual recovery."

And here we see what C4C was really all about: stimulating the biggest auto dealer conglomerate in the country.  Anybody want to bet me that AutoNation wasn't a huge Lord Ø campaign contributor, and/or doesn't have a lobbyist or six camped out in the Lincoln Bedroom, just like GE does?

This is how fascism is implemented in the early stages, folks.  The BIG companies jump on board the gubmint program with the mistaken belief that they can somehow control or steer the new direction of Dear Leader's gubmint, change and in the process wipe out all of their smaller competitors.  The small fry get wiped out by the massive influx of new requirements from the gubmint bureaucracy, and then the gubmint will turn on the big businesses.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!

I have what could be considered 3 "gas guzzlers"...

A 2002 Jeep Cherokee 4X4
A 1988 Ford F-250 Diesel 4X4
A 1980 Chevy Malibu, converted to right-hand drive for mail delivery.

I also have a 1993 Buick Century, for delivery backup, and a 1995 Chevy S-10 Blazer for wintertime usage.

My step-son has a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer, and my son has a Subaru Impreza AWD turbo.

Not a single one of these gets more than 25mpg, and most get less than 15 the way we use/drive them.

Doing my part to reverse global cooling.... :naughty:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 08:38:59 AM »
SL sedan owner.  Love the fact that it's easy on gas.  I've abused it by taking it up a logging road to deer camp.  It hasn't not made it yet.  The floorpan shows some BFR damage; it's dented.  I put a hole in the passengers' side fender after missing an 8-pointer one day, and some ******* keyed it in the parking garage I use at work, but other than that, it's been a champ.  Got a hair under 100,000 miles on it.

As for my brother, that dealership group has GMC; Ford; Toyota; and a bunch of other imports.

Mine just went past 160K.  SC series, 9 years old.  Oxygen Sensors and Intake Manifold replacement this year.  Other than that, my headliner is eroding.  And the power windows don't work.  When I have to get a new car, it will be a Saturn as well, but this one will remain with me until it completely kicks it.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Doing my part to reverse global cooling.... :naughty:

Please don't. My power bill is loving this Global Warming. 66 this morning in Augusta, Ga.  :rocker2:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Chump

Please don't. My power bill is loving this Global Warming. 66 this morning in Augusta, Ga.  :rocker2:

Yep, low 60's in NC.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech