Author Topic: U.S. Consumer Spending Rises After Six Straight Drops  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
U.S. Consumer Spending Rises After Six Straight Drops
« on: March 02, 2009, 09:39:44 AM »
sometime I wonder why anyone bothers to publish the "predictions" of the same economic experts that didn't see the second coming of the great depression in the first place.

it's both alarming and quite depressing that the Obamagator just doesn't seem to give a damn about how far the economy falls;  with every additional bit of bleak news, or failing industry, or round of layoffs, he just adds another government takeover to yet another heretofore unknown bit of 5,000 page legislation. 

U.S. Consumer Spending Rises After Six Straight Drops

March 2 (Bloomberg) -- Consumer spending rose in January for the first time in seven months as Americans took advantage of post-holiday discounts, a gain that’s unlikely to last because of the surge in joblessness.

The 0.6 percent increase was larger than anticipated and followed a 1 percent decrease in December, the Commerce Department said today in Washington. The report showed the Fed’s preferred measure of inflation dropped in January.

Retailers from J.Crew Group Inc. to Saks Inc. and Limited Brands Inc. have cut jobs in the past week, anticipating a further deterioration in spending and contributing to the deepest employment slump since the end of World War II. Stock-indexes reached the lowest levels in more than a decade as investors soured on the economy’s outlook.

“I don’t think we are at the point yet where we can reasonably expect to see consistent increases in income and spending,” said David Resler, chief economist at Nomura Securities International Inc. in New York.

The Standard & Poor’s Stock Index fell 2.3 percent to 717.89 at 10:21 a.m. in New York after touching a 13-year low. Benchmark 10-year Treasury yields dipped to 2.94 percent from 3.02 percent at last week’s close. The dollar advanced 0.5 percent to $1.2610 on a jump in demand for the U.S. currency as a haven.

More

Offline thundley4

Re: U.S. Consumer Spending Rises After Six Straight Drops
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 09:48:36 AM »
I think that some didn't see this "greater depression" coming, because they failed to take into account the rapidity with which 0Bama would socialize the country.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 09:56:09 AM »
I think that some didn't see this "greater depression" coming, because they failed to take into account the rapidity with which 0Bama would socialize the country.

I think it's because economic forecasts in general are maybe a step more advanced that indian rain dances and voodoo doctors.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:06:25 AM »
I think it's because economic forecasts in general are maybe a step more advanced that indian rain dances and voodoo doctors.

That could be, and the fact that 0Bama kept talking down the economy and driving fears even after the election. The MSM played into this knowing that a failing economy would be the perfect cover for pushing through a leftist agenda.  Remember Rahm quote, (paraphrasing), Never let a crisis go to waste.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 06:20:32 AM »
I'm kind of tired of the whole "Second Great Depression" meme, that might be true if the unemployment rate hit 20% without slowing down on its way to 30%, but we're nowhere close to that and don't seem to be headed that way.  It's pure hyperbole.

But back to the OP subject, a one month uptick after a solid six month trend does not a recovery make.  When there are two successive months of upward movement with a third projected, then I'll buy into it.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:44:36 AM »
I'm kind of tired of the whole "Second Great Depression" meme, that might be true if the unemployment rate hit 20% without slowing down on its way to 30%, but we're nowhere close to that and don't seem to be headed that way.  It's pure hyperbole.

But back to the OP subject, a one month uptick after a solid six month trend does not a recovery make.  When there are two successive months of upward movement with a third projected, then I'll buy into it.

television ratings are down.  it's a depression, and people need to watch the news, dammit. :-)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 10:33:40 AM »
Spending went up?  Another example of the fact that even a dead cat bounces once in a while.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford