Author Topic: 401k Issues  (Read 2217 times)

Offline djones520

401k Issues
« on: February 17, 2009, 09:57:27 AM »
So, everyone out there says that despite the economic troubles, we shouldn't empty our 401k's out.  Just let them sit, and ride the storm out.

Since I'm still young, and don't plan on retiring for another 40 years or so, I'm fine with that line of thinking.  But with the market still in an downward spiral, is it smart to keep putting money into it?  Should I be pumping the money into it like I am, or just let it sit for a few months and hope that it starts to rebound soon before I start letting cash flow back into it?
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline djones520

Re: 401k Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 10:03:48 AM »
Keep putting money in, but see if you have something like a "Stable Value Fund", low returns, low risk.

Thats what mines in.  The TSP has 5 differant funds, and mines in the safest right now.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Zeus

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 10:21:03 AM »
Thats what mines in.  The TSP has 5 differant funds, and mines in the safest right now.

When you have basically a lifetime before you retire why are you playing so safe as far as investments ? Now is the time in your life when you don't have anything or much to loose and a lifetime to recover you should be taking chances. That is if you have the stomach for risk.

Not saying all your investments should be in High risk/high return ventures but a majority should.

This of course is all predicated on the assumption of a plan and not a fly by the seat of the pants worry about it when I get there investment strategy.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline djones520

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 10:23:12 AM »
When you have basically a lifetime before you retire why are you playing so safe as far as investments ? Now is the time in your life when you don't have anything or much to loose and a lifetime to recover you should be taking chances. That is if you have the stomach for risk.

Not saying all your investments should be in High risk/high return ventures but a majority should.

This of course is all predicated on the assumption of a plan and not a fly by the seat of the pants worry about it when I get there investment strategy.

Because I'd rather have low returns build over 40 years then have high returns that can get devestated over a few months like this.

If I where starting this up closer to my retirement I'd be playing it riskier, but since I have nothing but time I'm just gonna let it stew.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:21:58 PM »
It seems like a pretty good time to "buy low."

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 05:32:05 PM »
So, everyone out there says that despite the economic troubles, we shouldn't empty our 401k's out.  Just let them sit, and ride the storm out.

Since I'm still young, and don't plan on retiring for another 40 years or so, I'm fine with that line of thinking.  But with the market still in an downward spiral, is it smart to keep putting money into it?  Should I be pumping the money into it like I am, or just let it sit for a few months and hope that it starts to rebound soon before I start letting cash flow back into it?
100.25K you mean, right?

I've made mine as stable as possible.  I wanted to get into gold and silver but that isn't a sector I am allowed to choose.

I am hanging in there, though.  I have 20 years to recover -- and might need all of them.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.