Author Topic: what the primitives had for supper tonight  (Read 455 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
what the primitives had for supper tonight
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:30:04 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/115714545

Oh my.

One's got to give dear sweet Lu credit for trying so hard, to keep the cooking and baking forum alive.

It thrived when the hippywife primitive Mrs. Alfred Packer was the dominant primitive there, but ever since hippyhubby Wild Bill told Mrs. Alfred Packer she couldn't hang around with the primitives any more, the forum's gone into a tail-spin.

Why, I can't figure it out.  Mrs. Alfred Packer was a hate-filled, angry, bitter, confused older woman, and dear sweet Lu is, well, dear and sweet, surely a much more attractive personality to draw traffic to this dwindling forum.

Lucinda (15,361 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 09:40 AM

What's for Dinner ~ Wednesday Sept 19th

livetohike (13,660 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 11:27 AM

1. Penne with triple tomato sauce, a salad and garlic bread

The empressof all (27,483 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 12:57 PM

2. Not sure yet...I have a wealth of v*g I need to use

I may make a Cauliflower Pizza crust Pizza with peppers and mushrooms or I might make a ratatouille with the egg plant and huge zucchini I pulled out of the garden. I really should do both and stick the stew in the freezer for those less bountiful times.

bif (14,666 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 03:39 PM

3. Lobster tails. acorn squash and LOTS of tomatoes.

pinto (94,902 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 05:05 PM

4. Got a great deal on a rib eye locally So it's simple BBQ with marinated onion and a green bean side.

We've been overcast here every day, but a sunny window about now for some outdoor cooking.

grasswire (35,112 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 06:43 PM

5. chicken in sage and celery gravy, smashed redskins, apple salad..

...and apple pie. It's 85 degrees today, but I had pies to make. Since the kitchen was going to be hot anyway, a fall-ish dinner happened.

The oven in this apartment does not retain the heat within very well. There's a 1 inch space between the bottom of the oven door and the top of the lower storage drawer. And the stovetop itself gets very hot from oven use. Nice in the winter; not so nice in the summer.

Anybody know what "celery gravy" is?

It sure sounds like something the pie-and-jam primitive would make, but nobody else.

greatauntoftriplets (126,062 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 06:55 PM

6. Oven-barbecued ribs (I don't have a grill).

Made a rub of salt, pepper, white sugar, brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, thyme, paprika and a bit of cayenne pepper. Wrapped the ribs after slathering them with a generous amount of rub in tinfoil and baked in a 300-oven for two hours. Put them back in the oven uncovered at 325 for about 1/2 hour with Sweet Baby Ray's hickory barbecue sauce.

Sides were Irish potatoes (from a can) browned in butter and an heirloom tomato.

cbayer (111,413 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 08:20 PM

9. That sounds fabulous!

I have been wanting some ribs and you have made me drool.

^^franksolich's new interest d'amour on Skins's island.

greatauntoftriplets (126,062 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 08:23 PM

11. They were really good, and I have enough left for tomorrow night.

I do miss having a barbecue at times, but I can't have one where I live. Also, there's no place to put one!

yellerpup (9,694 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 07:19 PM

7. BBQ Ribs

deviled cauliflower, big salad with lots of tomato and avocado. Nice roll from the grocery store crisped in the oven. Rich but flavorful.

cbayer (111,413 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 08:21 PM

10. Two of y'all having ribs?!?!

I am so envious.

yellerpup (9,694 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 09:15 PM

16. Had some in the back of the freezer and forgot about them. When I was looking for my hambone yesterday I decided to thaw it out and see what it was. Sometimes I save just flavor bones or fat to render into lard. When it thawed, I recognized it as the tag ends of ribs that I cooked for the fundraiser in July. Made it all so easy! Pretty moon tonight. Throw it a kiss for me from the boat!

cbayer (111,413 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 08:19 PM

8. Yay! A friend just brought over some sushi grade yellowtail, some crabmeat and some small peppers.

She is going to do the preparing and cooking. We will eat the tuna raw and she is going to stuff the peppers with crabmeat and cream cheese.

Oh, yeah! I'm not cooking and will have a treat.

pinto (94,902 posts)  Wed Sep 19, 2012, 09:01 PM

13. Stuffed peppers with crabmeat and cream cheese...

franksolich went to the convenience store in town about 8:00 p.m. and bought a slice of Canadian bacon pizza ($1.59) for supper.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

Re: what the primitives had for supper tonight
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:41:03 PM »
smashed redskins

Racist!!!!

For some reason I always thought cbayer the thread slayer was a man. Or is that another DUmmie?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 03:38:23 AM »
Racist!!!!

For some reason I always thought cbayer the thread slayer was a man. Or is that another DUmmie?

No, she's a femme.

Married to an Englishman, which she likes to point out, as if it's something special.

Lives in a yacht off the coast of southern California; I have no idea why.

Middle-aged, average height, average weight.

What I find attractive about her is the admirable way in which she handled bullies in the meta forum last week; a confident, gently assertive woman.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »
Lives in a yacht off the coast of southern California; I have no idea why.
Actually, she claims to live on a boat tied to a dock in California.

That itself is most likely a lie, but I don't recall her ever claiming the boat to have any means of locomotion.

No sails, no engine. Just floating, attached to a dock, carrying buckets of sewage ashore at frequent intervals.

About as glamorous as an occupooper living in a pup tent.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
Why do they cry poverty one minute and ALWAYS claim to be dining on the most exotic and fancy things one could have?

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 10:52:15 AM »
Why do they cry poverty one minute and ALWAYS claim to be dining on the most exotic and fancy things one could have?

Sushi grade Yellowtail?  Lobster Tails? 

I had leftover stuffed bell peppers.   :bawl:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »
Actually, she claims to live on a boat tied to a dock in California.

That itself is most likely a lie, but I don't recall her ever claiming the boat to have any means of locomotion.

No sails, no engine. Just floating, attached to a dock, carrying buckets of sewage ashore at frequent intervals.

Ah, yes, I kind of forgot that; you're right.

But she is married to an Englishman, and those tend to be, uh, eccentric.
apres moi, le deluge