Author Topic: What the f*ck happened  (Read 626 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
What the f*ck happened
« on: March 10, 2011, 11:58:35 AM »
There's nothing particularly interesting in this thread at this point but I thought the OP was interesting for a couple of reasons.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=439x600920

mrmpa  (298 posts)        Thu Mar-10-11 12:52 AM
Original message

What the **** happened

I'm on EDT, not feeling well and slept from 6:30 to 11:15. I turn on the TV to Lawrence O'Donnell repeat of his 8 o'clock show and see a ticker that says Walker used a nuclear option. Start reading DU, my in box has news from the Washington Post and now I'm watching Rachel's. I'll see how things pan out over the next week and make my way there next week-end.

This reminds me of the stories my mom has told me. She's a few weeks short of 81 and a proud retired union member. Her oldest sister if alive would be 95. When my mom was 5 and 6, her sister's husband would come home bloody and bruised from run ins with the law and scabs at steel mills. He was fighting for the rights of the United Steel Workers. He retired from a local mill and was union rep for all of his career.

Back in 1985, when myself and 3 co-workers were organizing a union at our work place, he's the man I went to for answers on contract negotiating terms. He told me that salary was always high on the agenda, but to also ask for things that didn't cost the company money, but would make the work place safe and union members safer. As our work place was a University Police Department, we asked for safety equipment in our vehicles, haz mat gear, training sessions, and oh yes better wages, we got it all.

Negotiating as my uncle taught me isn't always about the money, but to make the work place safe and sane.

The 2 things I notice in the thread are; DUmmies and those like them have a way different thought of what "Doesn't cost the company money" than I do.

The second thing is; What in the hell does a University Police Dept. need with haz mat gear??

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
Re: What the f*ck happened
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
These people are very bad at math or they don't appreciate the hard work and sacrifice, as well as the risk, that goes into starting a business.

They want all of the fruits of hard work without doing the work. 

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:46:12 PM »
What struck me about this alleged union mommy is her frikkin' age.  YES, there was once upon a time when unions were necessary to the health and wellbeing of workers.  That, as far as I'm concerned, ended the moment union bosses got the bit between their teeth and started shaking down the companies, WHO WERE BY THEN UNDER DIFFERENT MANAGERS WITH DIFFERENT MIND-SETS, ie, decent human beings for the most part, for every damn dime they could.  I see the unions exactly the same way I see the minority rights people.  At one time there was a need, indeed a moral imperative for them.  That day passed at least 40 years ago.
Not to mention, the union leaders who were real heroes back in the day bear no resemblance to today's mobsters. :bird:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 01:58:06 PM »
The second thing is; What in the hell does a University Police Dept. need with haz mat gear??

KC

Seen the students lately?
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Seen the students lately?

You know ... being from Texas I never even thought about Berkley!

:thatsright:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 02:16:06 PM »
These people are very bad at math or they don't appreciate the hard work and sacrifice, as well as the risk, that goes into starting a business.

They want all of the fruits of hard work without doing the work. 

Well, they ARE DUmbasses.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 03:13:17 PM »
Name one thing that a union has done that has made the host organism more efficient or more competitive?

Just one thing.

The reason it didn't cost the host organism anything is because the union reps went to the Hazmat Uniform Tree and got them for free.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.