Author Topic: The low Biden approval ratings don't make sense. The polling must be off  (Read 704 times)

Offline DUmpDiver

Quixote1818 (28,287 posts)

The low Biden approval ratings. They somehow aren't catching young people it seems. The economy is actually doing pretty good, Biden has handled things like Israel and Ukraine nicely, inflation is mostly back down. I'm just not understanding why his approval would be in the upper 30s unless people aren't really paying attention to current events or the polling isn't reaching the right people as we are seeing in the special elections.

Editing to add this article I just found searching as to why Biden's approval doesn't make sense:

Opinion: Why Biden’s really bad approval ratings don’t matter

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2023-05-09/biden-approval-ratings-press-media-polls

Snip: The reality is, in this day and age, the way we interpret polls has got to change. There needs to be a recognition that, realistically speaking, the days of a president enjoying approval ratings above 50% are effectively over. The Republican Party has withdrawn from the democratic experiment, choosing instead to rally behind insurrectionists and white nationalists. On what planet would any of those people “approve” of a Democratic administration under any scenario? They don’t even think he was legitimately elected president. (He was).

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100218385657

Hey, DUmmies:
- Open border is so bad now that even sanctuary cities/states are whining about it
- Gas still costs a boatload as do other forms of energy
- Inflation "slowing" doesn't mean prices go down. Things still cost much, much more than when PedoJoe took office.
- Many voters don't approve of a gazillion dollars going to Ukraine to fight a proxy war with Russia, especially when it's unaccounted for and being sent to a notoriously corrupt nation.
- $6B to Iran
- Afghanistan

Do you think young people would approve of these things in a poll? :rotf:

The DU thread is the typical amusing smattering of DU-nial.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: The low Biden approval ratings don't make sense. The polling must be off
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 08:23:29 AM »
“I live in a rather special world. I only know one person who voted for Nixon. Where they [Nixon voters] are I don't know. They're outside my ken.” - Pauline Kael

Much like this former immature film critic, the primitives are unfamiliar with any viewpoint that’s outside of what they want to believe.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 08:39:10 AM »
Here we go again: "It's the messaging!", "It's RW disinfo!", "It's stupid voters!".

When it comes to their political failings, democrats will look in any direction but inward.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 09:14:14 AM »
"It's Trumps fault!"

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 09:26:55 AM »
They should look at the amount of responses that post got. During Obama's term, it would have been 2 pages long, yet you can't muster more than 9 responses. You Dims are in trouble. Deal with it. People have to eat. That's why his poll numbers are in the shitter, and it would appear even most DUmbasses know.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 10:25:01 AM »
The OP obviously likes paying record high prices for food, shelter and other household necessities. Gas is down recently but still way higher than under Trump. It's sad to think that inflation has be running high for so long that some people see any let up as a sign of a good economy.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 12:52:23 PM »
They also don’t take into account the guy is brain dead  :thatsright:
He is a laughing stock around the world and has put us in a bad position with the rest of the world,worst than when clinton was Secretary of State
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2023, 05:14:41 PM »
Here we go again: "It's the messaging!", "It's RW disinfo!", "It's stupid voters!".

When it comes to their political failings, democrats will look in any direction but inward.

Along with the classic " they just don't know what their best interests are so..."

DUmmies are several magnitude below 'felony stupid'.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2023, 06:46:11 PM »
The DUmmies and the left have been spouting this nonsense for decades. If the poll doesn't agree with them, the poll is wrong and flawed. If the Democrats lose an election, it must have been stolen. Yet conveniently they are never labeled "election deniers".
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline jukin

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 07:24:58 PM »
I can give no better proof of why we call them DUmbass DUchebag DUmmys than this thread. None.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 01:13:09 PM by jukin »
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2023, 11:22:13 AM »
Quixote1818 (28,287 posts)

The low Biden approval ratings. They somehow aren't catching young people it seems. The economy is actually doing pretty good, Biden has handled things like Israel and Ukraine nicely, inflation is mostly back down. I'm just not understanding why his approval would be in the upper 30s unless people aren't really paying attention to current events or the polling isn't reaching the right people as we are seeing in the special elections.

Editing to add this article I just found searching as to why Biden's approval doesn't make sense:

Opinion: Why Biden’s really bad approval ratings don’t matter

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2023-05-09/biden-approval-ratings-press-media-polls

Snip: The reality is, in this day and age, the way we interpret polls has got to change. There needs to be a recognition that, realistically speaking, the days of a president enjoying approval ratings above 50% are effectively over. The Republican Party has withdrawn from the democratic experiment, choosing instead to rally behind insurrectionists and white nationalists. On what planet would any of those people “approve” of a Democratic administration under any scenario? They don’t even think he was legitimately elected president. (He was).

Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2023, 01:11:40 PM »
Snip: The reality is, in this day and age, the way we interpret polls has got to change.
The new reality, down is up, war is peace and it’s not poverty it’s the new prosperity  :-)

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2023, 02:09:50 PM »
I can give no better proof of why we call them DUmbass DUchebag DUmmys than this thread. None.

OP:

:mental:
 :rotf:

he doesn't live in this world

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2023, 03:01:39 PM »
The density in this thread is scary.  Fortunately it's short, so far, otherwise we might see the spontaneous creation of a new black hole.

leftstreet (35,575 posts)
1. Is the polling by landline? They never say n/t

Bet a good stack of cash if I could get around the paywall at WaPo, there's a link to the poll itself that explains it's methodology.  It usually takes a bit of looking, and sometimes you have to go down a few layers, but the answers are typically out there, if you're willing to do a bit of diffing. 

Silent Type (1,355 posts)
6. Recent polls are but another data point, with lots more to come and 12.5 months to go.
Reply to Quixote1818 (Original post)
Fri Oct 20, 2023, 11:14 PM

I’m hopeful these polls are proven wrong next November. But too many negatives in next few months will force me to get refills for Xanax.

Yup, drugs are always the answer.  If you only need pills when your party is in power, you don't need the pills.

JohnSJ (89,952 posts)
7. I see several reasons why polls need to be taken with a grain of salt, especailly national polls, and
Reply to Quixote1818 (Original post)
Fri Oct 20, 2023, 11:36 PM

"approval polls"

1. A good number of people do not answer calls from numbers they do not recognize because of all the spam calls occurring.

2. Democrats do not walk lock and step like republicans. This means that a Democratic voter, especially a younger one may not be particularly favorable toward Biden because their expectations are higher than they should be based on an essentially 50-50 Congress, but when the general election happens, despite their not as favorable view, they will vote for Biden over trump in the general election.

republicans on the other hand walk lock and step, and will give both a favorable approval toward trump, and will vote for him in the general election.

In other words, favorability polls for Democrats do not necessarily translate to how they will vote in the general election. That also applies to independents.

3. National polls do not necessarily translate to a general election outcome, because that isn't how Presidents are elected. Presidents are elected by states, not by National polls.

:orly:  Post a dissenting opinion over there in the DUmp, and then tell me "democrats don't walk in lock step". 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2023, 03:40:37 PM »
JohnSJ (89,952 posts)

2. Democrats do not walk lock and step like republicans.

Sure, dipshit. That's why it took 15 votes for McCarthy to become leader, he was removed, and we're going on two weeks without a leader. You know, because we all walk lockstep. How long did it take that hag Nancy to get all on board with her speakership again?
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2023, 03:57:48 PM »
This means that a Democratic voter, especially a younger one may not be particularly favorable toward Biden because their expectations are higher than they should be based on
a crappy economy and low prospects for a good paying job with a future.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2023, 04:11:10 PM »
2. Democrats do not walk lock and step like republicans.

Doesn't one have to be a democrat and support democratic nominees to be at DU?