Author Topic: What they really think of people  (Read 1490 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
What they really think of people
« on: November 18, 2016, 05:14:41 AM »
Fri Nov 18, 2016, 03:15 AM
 phylny (4,380 posts)

On Rural America: Understanding Isn't The Problem
I live in Virginia, surrounded by this. It's a long piece, but really worth reading. Bottom line: It's not up to "coastal elites" to understand rural, white, fundamentalist America; they're not changing their minds.

"As the aftermath of the election of Donald Trump is being sorted out, a common theme keeps cropping up from all sides-'Democrats failed to understand white, working class, fly-over America.' Trump supports are saying this. Progressive pundits are saying this. Talking heads across all forms of the media are saying this. Even some Democratic leaders are saying this. It doesn’t matter how many people say it, it is complete bullshit. It is an intellectual/linguistic sleight of hand meant to throw attention away from the real problem. The real problem isn’t east coast elites don’t understand or care about rural America. The real problem is rural America doesn’t understand the causes of their own situations and fears and they have shown no interest in finding out. They don’t want to know why they feel the way they do or why they are struggling because the don’t want to admit it is in large part because of choices they’ve made and horrible things they’ve allowed themselves to believe."

Article here:

http://forsetti.tumblr.com/post/153181757500/on-rural-america-understanding-isnt-the-problem

Response to phylny (Original post)
Fri Nov 18, 2016, 06:07 AM
 LenaBaby61 (1,107 posts)
3. TY for posting this OP ....

The article doesn't tell me anything that I already don't know, and NO--per some Bernie and Hillary supporters/friends--I'm not kissing their fanny's because of the failed choices they made with their lives and continue making in their lives. Plus on top of that, many of them see people like myself (Native American) as an outsider in what was once Native American land. Now I know not every person from a rural area is racist, however, those who are often time use religion to justify and to explain away their bigotry and racism.

You know, there comes a time when we ALL have to take responsibility for our own actions, and many of the rural folks talked about and described in this article don't think that applies to them. Now, I do have 2 friends who are from a VERY rural area in West Virginia, and they tell me ALL of the time that they were LUCKY that their parents somehow got them out of there, and moved them westward. And some of the family stories they've shared with me are horribly racist and intolerant and yet--here it is again--wrapped around and woven into religion of all things to explain away their bigotry and racism, as if God actually co-signs with and excuses their racism and hatred. It's horrible for one to use religion to justify their racism or homophobia. SMDH @ racism, homophobia, and intolerance of others. Such hypocrisy!!

How dare the people that grow the food,build the houses,repair the machines not bow to our self appointed betters.  :bird:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:28:51 AM by Carl »

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
Re: What they really think of people
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 05:31:48 AM »
Typical "I'm not the problem, you're the problem!" bullshit.

Come from living in cloistered pockets of other people with their heads up their asses...

I guess we voted against our best interests again.   :rotf:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 05:33:30 AM »
Consider the depth of arrogance required to assert this.

This is why democracy is just a facade for these self-entitled assholes. They only obey elections so long as they win them. As soon as they lose they're off to the nearest liberal judge or they're libsplaining why they're such superior people they're free to rule by dictate.

**** you, you little shits. This fight has only just begun and if you dare try to escalate it to a literal fight I will enthusiastically oblige you.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 05:40:17 AM »
If you can stomach to read the linked article (which is mind numbingly long) it just drips with snarling rage about the unwashed.
It brings into perspective and some insight into shillarys "basket of deplorables" comment.
It was not a gaffe or slip of the tongue but a reflection of what she thinks of all of us.

I am afraid the Bunny is right,it is beyond their core beings to accept not having been affirmed as the rulers they know they are destined to be.
Their blood will be on their hands.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 05:52:00 AM »
The real problem is rural America doesn’t understand the causes of their own situations and fears and they have shown no interest in finding out. They don’t want to know why they feel the way they do or why they are struggling because the don’t want to admit it is in large part because of choices they’ve made and horrible things they’ve allowed themselves to believe.
Substitute "inner cities" for "rural America" and you're accused of being an ignorant racist.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:57:50 AM »
Lefty talking point translated: Wanting a job and the government out of your pocket is bigoted and racist.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 06:27:51 AM »
The real problem is rural America doesn’t understand the causes of their own situations and fears and they have shown no interest in finding out. They don’t want to know why they feel the way they do or why they are struggling because the don’t want to admit it is in large part because of choices they’ve made and horrible things they’ve allowed themselves to believe.

Substitute "inner cities" for "rural America" and you're accused of being an ignorant racist.

H-5! Bad foolish choices and their consequences are not peculiar to inner cities, just particularly and pungently prominent. (It's 4 AM, the coffee's kicking in, bringing alliteration!) Refusing to learn stuff like Reading, Math, and Science has consequences. Indulging in sexual promiscuity when one is "unprotected" and unable to to afford to raise children have consequences. Making frequent ingestion of recreational chemicals one's lifestyle has consequences. Being too proud to work entry-level jobs has consequences. Continually spending more $$ than you have on clothes, shoes, "rides", and techno-toys has consequences. Being dependent on government social programs has consequences.

And the connection between foolish choices such as those and the consequent poverty, disease, and uselessness has nothing to do with skin color.

"their own situations and fears" - Hey "Forsetti"! Those deplorables feed you! Those deplorables clothe you (cotton, wool, leather, even oil-based polyester and other synthetics)! Those deplorables built your house or apartment building! Those deplorables built your car and constructed the streets and highways on which you drive and on which your food and clothing are brought to you. I could continue going on and on, but the bottom line is that those deplorables made the stuff of your lifestyle.

You and your kind have been @#$%^ing them over for decades, and now they've risen up and rejected you (and your little SHREW-dog, too!). Hopefully they'll have to fortitude of memory to keep on rejecting you and your elitist ilk! So, :bird: , sit on it, and rotate!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 07:00:34 AM »
This fight has only just begun and if you dare try to escalate it to a literal fight I will enthusiastically oblige you.

I'm OK with that.

"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here."
   -Captain John Parker, to his Minute Men on Lexington Green, April 19, 1775.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Karin

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 07:42:22 AM »

I like the turn of your phrase. 

I'm not reading that article, mainly because I do not read articles that do not have comments sections.  Talk about arrogant. 

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 07:59:19 AM »
Uh, yeah.

Good luck at having a bunch of city dwellers making $200K+/yr telling people who are eeking out a living in suburban and rural areas that they're the ones too stupid to understand why circumstances are the way they are.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 08:19:47 AM »
The articles author has a Twitter account.

https://twitter.com/ForsettisCreed

Offline Karin

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 09:19:10 AM »
He is a most bitter, tiresome person.  His tweets are mainly incoherent, nothing I saw was worth rowing back.  He's mad at everyone, progtards included. 

That thing where people go "blah blah blah" --said no one ever   ?

That can be funny but he way overemploys it and not in a clever witty way, like say, an Iowahawk. 

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »
It's just a long rant of "Everyone in the country who disagrees with me is automatically a brainless, ignorant, uber- racist, Bible- thumping redneck who hates gays and blacks. I'm so much better and more enlightened than those fundy morons."
You see rants just like it on the DUmp all the time (Practically every post TMN has puked out the last several months follows this strategy), ESPECIALLY after they lose elections. All the while, they remain genuinely mystified as to why the rest of the country views them as mean, smug, pretentious, condescending elitists

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 01:12:24 PM »
Bottom line: It's not up to "coastal elites" to understand rural, white, fundamentalist America;

Continue to misunderstand and under estimate rural, white, fundamentalist America, and you will continue to lose elections you are so sure you will win. :bird:
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline jukin

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 04:40:01 PM »
Leftist tears and tirade spittle could solve our drought problem out here in the PRoC.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 04:43:54 PM »

Beyond belief, if we didn't know these cretins.

This is why democracy is just a facade for these self-entitled assholes. They only obey elections so long as they win them. As soon as they lose they're off to the nearest liberal judge or they're libsplaining why they're such superior people they're free to rule by dictate.

BAM!!  Exactly. 

**** you, you little shits. This fight has only just begun and if you dare try to escalate it to a literal fight I will enthusiastically oblige you.

...and Carl, thanks for dragging this stuff over.  It soothes the schadenboner.   :cheersmate:

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 04:47:08 PM »
That can be funny but he way overemploys it and not in a clever witty way, like say, an Iowahawk.

Dave, is seriously funny.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 10:04:31 PM »
Fri Nov 18, 2016, 03:15 AM
 phylny (4,380 posts)

On Rural America: Understanding Isn't The Problem
I live in Virginia, surrounded by this. It's a long piece, but really worth reading. Bottom line: It's not up to "coastal elites" to understand rural, white, fundamentalist America; they're not changing their minds.

"As the aftermath of the election of Donald Trump is being sorted out, a common theme keeps cropping up from all sides-'Democrats failed to understand white, working class, fly-over America.' Trump supports are saying this. Progressive pundits are saying this. Talking heads across all forms of the media are saying this. Even some Democratic leaders are saying this. It doesn’t matter how many people say it, it is complete bullshit. It is an intellectual/linguistic sleight of hand meant to throw attention away from the real problem. The real problem isn’t east coast elites don’t understand or care about rural America. The real problem is rural America doesn’t understand the causes of their own situations and fears and they have shown no interest in finding out. They don’t want to know why they feel the way they do or why they are struggling because the don’t want to admit it is in large part because of choices they’ve made and horrible things they’ve allowed themselves to believe."

Article here:

http://forsetti.tumblr.com/post/153181757500/on-rural-america-understanding-isnt-the-problem

East Coast elites are out of touch. They know nothing.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 09:31:36 AM »
They don’t want to know why they feel the way they do or why they are struggling because the don’t want to admit it is in large part because of choices they’ve made and horrible things they’ve allowed themselves to believe.

I see this as a positive thing.
As long as these radical asshats keep this up, the people in "flyover country" will be perpetually motivated to stick their finger in these bastards eyes.
The more they call Americans "racist rednecks" or "privileged whites", the more they will shrink into obscurity. As long as they keep pooping on cop cars and breaking windows, the more we will be inclined to bust out the fire hoses and tear gas.
I think they missed the idea that their virtual reality just crashed. The people let them have their little fantasy, even at our expense, but when the demand became "bow to us", well...  you know the rest.

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2016, 10:25:35 AM »
Well, if a coastal elite wants to take a trip out here to ruralville and they manage to get up the driveway, get past the dogs and the shotgun in the hall, they can kiss my A$$.

Offline FunkyZero

• ha ha, charade you are
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2016, 10:48:53 AM »
the shotgun in the hall

I see what you did there. H5!

Offline Charlespg

• Just Off Probation
  • Somewhere thats nowhere
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2016, 08:09:29 AM »
                   Bottom line: It's not up to "coastal elites" to understand rural, white, fundamentalist America;           
Dump ass elitist  prick  :hammer:

Offline SVPete

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2016, 08:48:12 AM »
I see this as a positive thing.
As long as these radical asshats keep this up, the people in "flyover country" will be perpetually motivated to stick their finger in these bastards eyes.
The more they call Americans "racist rednecks" or "privileged whites", the more they will shrink into obscurity. As long as they keep pooping on cop cars and breaking windows, the more we will be inclined to bust out the fire hoses and tear gas.
I think they missed the idea that their virtual reality just crashed. The people let them have their little fantasy, even at our expense, but when the demand became "bow to us", well...  you know the rest.

And the great thing about offering such sage political advice is that, if they see it, they will knee-jerkingly reject it, because it require self-reflection and because of the source (You Deplorable, you!).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.