Author Topic: The grown men who love ‘My Little Pony’ aren’t who you think they are  (Read 967 times)

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10028038355

mahatmakanejeeves (8,882 posts)

First I missed Pokémon Go; now I've missed BronyCon.

There's always next year:

(The Primitive posted a link to 'bronycon' here)

The cite from the primitive follows:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-grown-men-who-love-my-little-pony-arent-who-you-think-they-are/2016/07/18/d1c1cefe-476f-11e6-acbc-4d4870a079da_story.html

BALTIMORE — More than half a decade into the Brony phenomenon, the grown men who love “My Little Pony” understand that the world remains curious about them. So they kicked off their recent BronyCon gathering in Baltimore with a crash course on dealing with the media, from which a couple of helpful pointers emerged:

●Don’t use jargon like “OC” or even “original character.” Simply explain that the Pony-inspired name you go by in Brony circles is, for example, “Champ Romanhoof,” the persona claimed by Chaim Freedman, a 17-year-old Brony from New Jersey.

But no one’s in a defensive crouch here. BronyCon, which attracted more than 7,600 attendees this year, is the ultimate safe space: When you’re in a rainbow wonderland of fellow travelers wearing unicorn horns and technicolor manes, randomly hollering catchphrases like “Fun! Fun! Fun!” and singing fan-written songs with titles like “Mane Squeeze,” you can stop worrying about what’s normal and what’s weird or where you fit in.

To wrap up, panelist and blogger Taylor Ramage asks whether it’s okay to lead the group in song. Music is omnipresent at BronyCon, with songs from the show plus fan-made music playing around every corner. ... This song is a little different. She asks the audience whether they know the song “This Little Light of Mine.” They nod enthusiastically. Ramage explains that their song simply replaces “little light” with the words “cutie mark.” In MLP, the ponies receive cutie marks — symbolic representations of the pony’s personality — on their flanks in adolescence.

They sing:

This cutie mark of mine, I’m gonna let it shine.

Let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.

Lets ask 'coach uncle greenie' what he thinks:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAN9ORwsiVA[/youtube]

:lmao:

CMD
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Strangely enough, I asked a trivia question about "Brony-fest" at one of my shows recently.  Was more disturbed that four teams knew the answer.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
So... fags, then.
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
So... fags, then.
Three of the teams (if not more) have daughters.  The fourth team is creepy.  Knowledgeable, but a little off.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUdiCqDVUxI[/youtube]

I sincerely apologize for this video upfront..   :lmao:

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Meh, people like different stuff.  There's a lot worse shit they could be doing.  They probably look askance at ham radio geeks, model railroaders, and Dead-heads the same way people look at them.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SVPete

Meh, people like different stuff.  There's a lot worse shit they could be doing.  They probably look askance at ham radio geeks, model railroaders, and Dead-heads the same way people look at them.

Well they've already done the Feel the Bern thing, and won't be able to do anything along his lines till 2020. And by then he may be able to rise from the ballot box, casting scores of votes, all for the D candidates. Maybe they can step up from Bronyism to doing ObamaCare ads wearing plaid pajamas.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
Wow, I had no idea. Denny green actually died of a heart attack. Today.

CMD
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
True confession.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Zero, Zip, Nada.
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
True confession.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Zero, Zip, Nada.

:-)  Bronies.  Yeah, it's ........weird.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline SVPete

:-)  Bronies.  Yeah, it's ........weird.

Think of them as Furries-in-Training.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
So glad I asked
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline nomad54

• Just Off Probation
As a kid, always wondered why my dad wouldn't let my sister have My Little Ponies.  After growing up and seeing the world, now I wonder who was the freak he knew.