Author Topic: Lord Marblehead comments upon Ma and Pa Kettle's gift to H.M. the Queen  (Read 941 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x8312209

Oh my.

Lord Marblehead:

EarlG ADMIN  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-01-09 03:39 PM
Original message

It's a gaffe! 

MSNBC reporting that Obama has given the Queen an iPod.

"Is this a gaffe?" asks Noron, breathlessly.

Richard Wolfe earnestly reports that "the Queen isn't an iPod person."

It's a gaffe! Except...

Queen Elizabeth is an iPod fan

Her Majesty Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom has bought a silverish pocket-seized digital music player for only 169 pounds from the Regent Street Apple Store.

(snip)

The idea came from her son, Prince Andrew, the fourth in line to the throne behind prince Charles, who had also given his royal mother a mobile phone she has been using for four years.

According to The Sun, Queen Elizabeth II, a music lover, is impressed with her new small and handy iPod which can hold up to 10,000 downloaded songs.

June 2005

Great reporting by MSNBC there.

redqueen  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-01-09 03:40 PM
Response to Original message

1. I wonder if the American tv-news-watcher will ever get gaffe-fatigue.

Especially with the quality of the 'gaffes' lately.

Yeah, yeah.

Political Heretic  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-01-09 03:43 PM

3. I hate cable news. This is what happens when you create 24/7 news stations.

There's not enough real news to fill 24/7 so it becomes mindless shit like this.

WI_DEM (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-01-09 03:45 PM
Response to Reply #3

5. I agree this is what has happened since cable news. They have to try and create news to keep things moving. Of course if they were real reporters and news organizations there is real news they could report on, not the silly types of things they usually spend there time on.

redqueen  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-01-09 05:23 PM
Response to Reply #5

17. Bullshit... it's hardly that innocent. They never "made news" like this when Bush was in office.

Someone's peddling excuses.

Huh?

Barack_America  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-01-09 03:46 PM

6. Earlier today MSNBC had a British Royalty expert on who claimed it to be a fine gift.

And a thoughtful one to boot, given that it has video of the Queen's visit to the US in 2007. He also informed the anchors that the Queen already had an iPod.

Same channel, not two hours earlier.

FightingIrish  (1000+ posts)      Wed Apr-01-09 03:49 PM

8. I think it was a fantastic gift

She was definitely due for an upgrade. She can subscribe to Obama's weekly video address and watch it anywhere.

Ilsa  (1000+ posts)      Wed Apr-01-09 03:50 PM

9. DevonRex told me that it contains footage of her 2007 trip to the US so it's personal also.

npk  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-01-09 03:51 PM

10. Good call for Obama

He gave the Queen something she would enjoy and made it personal by including pictures of her 2007 visit to the states. I just wish people would stop looking for the man to make a mistake every step of the way. Who gives a damn what you assholes think. I sure as hell don't.

Lex  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-01-09 04:11 PM

13. I love how they just make it up as they go along, as if it's a fact.

Good lord.

janx  (1000+ posts)      Wed Apr-01-09 05:20 PM

16. Earl--why on earth would anyone assume that the president of the United States wouldn't do a bit of research before selecting a gift for the Queen of England?! I can't figure this out!

Cali_Democrat  (1000+ posts)      Wed Apr-01-09 05:36 PM

18. The media never fails to disappoint

unbelievable

Jennicut  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-01-09 05:53 PM

20. I think its cool she got herself her own digital player.

She is keeping up with the times. Who is to say what older people like and don't like?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
redqueen  (1000+ posts)        Wed Apr-01-09 05:23 PM
Response to Reply #5

17. Bullshit... it's hardly that innocent. They never "made news" like this when Bush was in office.

Fake AIr Force Doccuments...Dan Rather...Valerie Plame "outed"...1 million Iraqi dead.

ANY of the ring a bell?

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)

Hey Political Harlot. There is all kinds of other news they could report. Like how Obama is trying to nationalize the auto, bank, insurance and other industries and trying to squelch free speech at the Supreme Court.

But they don't want to hurt Obamania feelings.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
And to nobodys surprise, the Obamatrons that infest the DUmp fail to see what what low class buffoons The Anointed One and his partner are with such a "gift" to a head of state such as the Queen of England...but hey, at least it wasn't the 25 pack of DVD's that are incompatable with european players.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
It's been less than 90 days since the anointed one took office, and I have been embarrassed more for my country than I have in the last 50 years!

Good job, ObamaWannaBePres! You disgust me!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline lastparker

FightingIrish  (1000+ posts)      Wed Apr-01-09 03:49 PM

8. I think it was a fantastic gift

She was definitely due for an upgrade. She can subscribe to Obama's weekly video address and watch it anywhere.

She's the f-ing Queen of England, you lout!  She doesn't "subscribe" to anything, much less THAT.

On another note, I can't believe none of them have condemned the gift BECAUSE it has video of her 2007 visit to the US, when she was warmly received by chimpymchitlercokespoon.  (Which visit, BTW, was her fist since Poppy was President.  She never found the time to row over during the Clinton years)
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline Karin

She can subscribe to Obama's weekly video address and watch it anywhere.

This one made me laugh.  As if she would be breathlessly awaiting the One's sermon on the mount.  I can just see this primitive's vacuous, yet sparkling eyes typing this out. 

Offline jinxmchue

So if QE had been a fan of lingerie, it would've been okay for B.O. to give her som trashy lingerie from Victoria's Secret?

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
So if QE had been a fan of lingerie, it would've been okay for B.O. to give her som trashy lingerie from Victoria's Secret?

They'd have gotten it from Wal-Mart.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline happy1ga

Oh please! Way too much trouble. That's what PajamaGrams are for! I love how all the media is rushing to cover these "gaffes." They are a closing the ranks, even getting a bunch of Brits to say, oh that is a fine gift, just jolly! I thought at least one of them would have dissented over there, and say that it was not a classy gift, but then the office that handles those affairs, is of yet to be staffed. Seems BO didn't know there was such an office, or a need to make sure it was staffed, or ask for help from the State Dept, and have them fill the posts with temp workers.
There is no virtue in compulsory government charity, and there is no virtue in advocating it. A politician who portrays himself as caring and sensitive because he wants to expand the government's charitable programs is merely saying that he is willing to do good with other people's money. Well, who isn't? And a voter who takes pride in supporting such programs is telling us that he will do good with his own money— if a gun is held to his head.