Author Topic: I'm sick, not proud of my "Country" today at ALL  (Read 740 times)

Offline Mary Ann

I'm sick, not proud of my "Country" today at ALL
« on: July 04, 2020, 05:49:06 PM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213699883

FirstLight (11,458 posts)

So much...soooo much...can't even begin to unpack it all in one post.

You know, I stopped doing fireworks and enjoying them a few years ago, even as Obama was in office. It wasn't about him, just the feeling that I could not support the whitewashing of so much history...some of which directly affected me. If my great-grandfather had not survived the Trail of Tears, I wouldn't be here.

But the actions overseas, racial disparity and rampant poverty and elitism...
I couldn't get behind the whole "...and I'm Proud the be an American" song for the billionth time playing to fireworks
(fireworks that also did horrible damage to our local ecosystems)

Today - well I have not been plugged in for obvious reasons, the news of the "two minutes of hatefest" at Rushmore, COVID going crazy EVERYWHERE - as I watch my small town get swarmed by tourists, and continued travesty and injustice on the #BLM front...

So what else do I do? crack a beer at 2pm and try not to cry. Hell, there's people at the beach who are probably more shitfaced than I could be. And none of them are distancing or masked, and many of them are probably Proud Americans, wearing their red, white & blue...

I just can't.   

I'm still proud of my country.

Please leave First Light, you useless waste of skin.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: I'm sick, not proud of my "Country" today at ALL
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 05:55:57 PM »
The unenlightened primitive must be pretty old if she had a great-grandfather in the Trail of Tears, which happened 1838-1839.

In case one's not aware--or if one's a primitive, and can't do simple numbers--that was 182 years ago.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 06:03:14 PM »
The unenlightened primitive must be pretty old if she had a great-grandfather in the Trail of Tears, which happened 1838-1839.

In case one's not aware--or if one's a primitive, and can't do simple numbers--that was 182 years ago.
A very wise man once said, "Primitives lie. All the time, primitives lie."

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 06:08:43 PM »
A Dumbass is not proud of their country?

Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 06:19:10 PM »
All I can say is;  Thank God these people are such a tiny representation of our great nation.

They don’t realize it and that’s probably a good thing.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 07:08:06 PM »
All I can say is;  Thank God these people are such a tiny representation of our great nation.

They don’t realize it and that’s probably a good thing.

KC

Hate to disagree with you.  The cumDUmpsters are more mainline democrat party than any other faction.  It was true when the DNC got Skins to isolate them in in 2001. Not now. These stupid monsters are the democrat party.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Ogre

• What Cat?
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 07:15:20 PM »
FirstLight (11,458 posts)

So much...soooo much...can't even begin to unpack it all in one post.

You know, I stopped doing fireworks and enjoying them a few years ago, even as Obama was in office. It wasn't about him, just the feeling that I could not support the whitewashing of so much history...some of which directly affected me. If my great-grandfather had not survived the Trail of Tears, I wouldn't be here.

But the actions overseas, racial disparity and rampant poverty and elitism...
I couldn't get behind the whole "...and I'm Proud the be an American" song for the billionth time playing to fireworks
(fireworks that also did horrible damage to our local ecosystems)

Today - well I have not been plugged in for obvious reasons, the news of the "two minutes of hatefest" at Rushmore, COVID going crazy EVERYWHERE - as I watch my small town get swarmed by tourists, and continued travesty and injustice on the #BLM front...

So what else do I do? crack a beer at 2pm and try not to cry. Hell, there's people at the beach who are probably more shitfaced than I could be. And none of them are distancing or masked, and many of them are probably Proud Americans, wearing their red, white & blue...

I just can't.   

Where to begin, (1) Whitewashing would mean that U.S. history denies the fact the several founding fathers owned slaves.  (2) Look in the mirror, your support of the Democrat party and its manipulation of minorities are the very reasons disparity, poverty, and double standards prevent them from ever being free of your party's grip. (3) I bet you don't complain about the tax revenue created and the community projects funded from the tourism.  (4) None, really none, am I to believe that 100% of all beach goers there are ignoring social distancing and masks.  It is my opinion that this portion, like the rest of your story is a product of pure unadulterated fiction (e.g bulls*it) made up in your mind to allow you too feel better about your own pathetic existence.  If you don't like it here then perhaps you should advocate and work towards a more harmonious, productive relationship with your fellow countrymen, or just f*ck-off and leave, it's your choice.

"Don't argue about difficulties. The difficulties will argue for themselves."  - Winston Churchill

"Get some lumber, build a bridge, and get the hell over it" - Unknown

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 08:22:26 AM »

Well spotted. I'm 60-something and was born when my Mom was 39. My GGF served in the Civil War. So I suspect DU-Moron FirstLight's GGF survived the Trail of Tears the same way Fauxcahontas is part Native American.

As for the Trail of Tears, I probably first learned of it before becoming a teenager, in the mid 1960s - a rather odd "whitewashing". So how DU-Moron FirstLight kept himself/herself ignorant of it until well into adulthood I have a hard time fathoming. As far as I'm concerned, DU-Moron FirstLight should learn a little of the histories of whatever countries (s)he reveres ... and be prepared equal or greater awfulness. Maybe DU-Moron FirstLight would like to explore the Kolyma River? Or visit Xinjiang Autonomous Region? Or NoKo? Or a hospital in Cuba that isn't one of one of the Potemkin Hospitals Michael Moore visited. Or France's former colony that was run by slave labor, Haiti. Hey! Visiting mal's island paradise ... another, Brit, colony that depended on slavery. The UK ... the Brit Empire. Belgium ... Leopold II. Netherlands ... slave trade ... Dutch East Indies. Germany ... Hitler. Spain ... the conquests of Central and South America.

The US isn't perfect, duh! But unlike Russia, China, NoKo, Cuba, Haiti, and Jamaica, the US actually learned, fixed, and improved.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 03:05:09 PM »

nah, the math doesn't add up and she's 50. One of those New Age kooks. she actually teaches a drumming circle:

https://southtahoenow.com/reader-content/06/15/2019/natures-compass-class-slated-summer

she would have mentioned it there

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 04:34:07 PM »
I'm pretty sick of some of the PEOPLE in this country right now it would be ANTIFA terrorists and BLM (Burn, Loot Murder)