Author Topic: The murder of George Floyd has shown me I work with a lot of racists  (Read 823 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
NickB79 (15,273 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213693494

The murder of George Floyd has shown me I work with a lot of racists

I've been at my job 16 years now. Blue-collar factory guys, Teamsters, mostly high school educated. I've always known most of them were conservative (which is ironic as we're unionized and would be making half the salary and benefits we make if we weren't). But for the most part, they always seemed like genuinely good-hearted people when you got past politics.

But since the protests and riots? My God, I've heard shit I never imagined from their mouths. The fact we're only 30 miles from Minneapolis and 95% of the plant is white, in an exurb/rural area doesn't help. But holy shit, are they triggered like I've never seen before.

"Floyd was a piece of shit felon who deserved to die."
"What was so bad about the Confederacy?"
"I toured a plantation on vacation and they treated their slaves good."
"Protesters are going to blow up Mt Rushmore!"
"A good machine gun would clear up this whole problem."
"If I was that black jogger chased and killed in Georgia by white guys with shotguns, I would have just sat down and waited for the cops. It's his own fault he got shot."

I could go on. The list is loooonnnggg.

The plantation quote set me off today. I got in a shouting match in the break room with the guy. My wife and daughter have ancestors who were slaves, and that was my last ****ing straw. I wasn't going to stand by and let him sugarcoat the ownership of human beings like livestock.

Anyone else dealing with this shit? I've passed the point of biting my tongue. In a few short years my biracial daughter will be a young woman, on her own with people like them. I won't be able to use my whiteness to protect her anymore and it's tearing me up inside.

As Andrew Burke famously said "The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

:whatever:

bobbieinok (12,362 posts)

8. Trump is unmasking the Evangelicals. Catholic church being unmasked by abuse scandal

I would go on to claim SCOTUS has been unmasked/severely damaged by the 2000 5-4 vote sElecting W

And the yr long blocking of Garland and the appointment of Kavanaugh. I realize it was the GOP senators who did those, but their actions severely damaged the court. It has been made crystal clear the the SCOTUS is first of all a political entity and only secondarily a legal entity.

Star Member Wellstone ruled (31,460 posts)

2. Yah,

as a ex Shop Stew and Board Member. What you posted is spot on. Our Teamster Local was 100% DFL until the Nam Vets came on board.

I hear you,it was like herding cats,and the pissing and Moaning about people of Color was a never ending spew.

My Spouse always said,why do you do that thankless volunteer job. Well,because someone has to try and make conditions better for the Working People,Management is not going give out freebies like Pay Raises or first dollar Insurance Coverage.

Dare say,my shop was about 70% hard core Rethugs. Or as well called them,Joe Six Packs from Anoka County.

:whatever:

bobbieinok (12,362 posts)

4. O8 primary fights at DU---had no idea so many 'progressives/liberals' were sexist or racist!!

That really shocked me.

I had had no idea both are so deeply embedded in our world.

:rotf:

Star Member Maraya1969 (15,887 posts)

6. I have about 30 people banned on FB and most are because they are racists jerks. A lot of them

from the high school I went to.

And yes, it is the kids that were in the bottom of the class. The smart kids are not racist.

(Very small high school - 170 in my graduating class so everyone knew everyone else)

:censored:

dalton99a (50,375 posts)

9. Racism is foundational to the white trash culture

Their white skin is the only thing they have going for them

We're just a bunch of ****ing white lower class deplorables clinging to God, Gun, and Country...  :whatever:

Star Member Dream Girl (2,539 posts)

17. Mediocre white people. Their whiteness is the one thing they have "going" for them

Without their privilege, wat do they have. That’s why idea of fairness and equality freaks them out.

Roc2020 (234 posts)

19. I have seen it...that is what makes many racists lose their minds

because if a black person is unashamed and proud to be black, some insecure white person that is less well off than that black person in society may get very angry. because all they have is their whiteness. And in the 21st century many blacks may thumb their nose at their whiteness...drives racists nuts. Insecurity is a killer.

WhiskeyGrinder (8,651 posts)

26. Racism is foundational to the United States as a whole.

And "white trash" is a classist term, as well as racist -- and not in the "reverse racism" way. It was originally used to describe white people who don't "act like white people."

LittleGirl (5,689 posts)

10. You're going to be labeled

a dirty bleeding heart liberal and So What!
**** them. They are why blacks are still struggling.
Just **** them. Hugs xx

Lanius (505 posts)

12. I'm from rural Wyoming and have grown up around people who would never associate with Nazis

But who are your 1950s type of garden-variety racist. I'm glad I left that state.

PurgedVoter (906 posts)

18. I am an retired and live in the South

The majority of my childhood classmates who could not understand why the Germans put up with Hitler are now solidly against Antifa. My people suck. Statistically, we old southern white men are racist idiots.

Since I am retired I don't have to see them or work with them. Worse yet, growing up and living in the South, I learned the language of the South. I have no idea how many stupid horrible wrong words have escaped my own lips without my knowing what I was saying.

:whatever: Whatever, Granddad.

ListenWhenYouHear (5 posts)

35. Because "AntiFa" has become the boogeyman of FoxNews.

Personally, I am not even sure that AntiFa protesters aren’t just paid thugs that D-list Right-wing pundits have used to get free-publicity to help them sell their books. Think about it, we suddenly had “AntiFa” groups violently protesting on college campuses the message that these nobodies were spewing. The protesters trying to silence a message (that no-one was really listening to in the first place) resulted in giving the message more airtime and publicity that it would have ever received if they had just ignored them! Doesn’t it seem odd that they only seemed to protest against these extremist nobodies instead of the more popular conservative voices? “AntiFa” gave voice to the message they opposed, if it was truly Anti-fascists protesting them!

:o

Bev54 (1,059 posts)

25. I have learned who are racist by my FB page, I am Canadian and have a closed page so these are people I know and never had a clue they were either racist or so friggen stupid they do not know any better what they are posting. Such ignorance is appalling.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:01:11 PM by dutch508 »
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
Re: The murder of George Floyd has shown me I work with a lot of racists
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »
NickB79 (15,273 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213693494

The murder of George Floyd has shown me I work with a lot of racists

I've been at my job 16 years now. Blue-collar factory guys, Teamsters, mostly high school educated. I've always known most of them were conservative (which is ironic as we're unionized and would be making half the salary and benefits we make if we weren't). But for the most part, they always seemed like genuinely good-hearted people when you got past politics.

But since the protests and riots? My God, I've heard shit I never imagined from their mouths. The fact we're only 30 miles from Minneapolis and 95% of the plant is white, in an exurb/rural area doesn't help. But holy shit, are they triggered like I've never seen before.

"What was so bad about the Confederacy?"
"I toured a plantation on vacation and they treated their slaves good."
"Protesters are going to blow up Mt Rushmore!"
"A good machine gun would clear up this whole problem."
"If I was that black jogger chased and killed in Georgia by white guys with shotguns, I would have just sat down and waited for the cops. It's his own fault he got shot."

I could go on. The list is loooonnnggg.

The plantation quote set me off today. I got in a shouting match in the break room with the guy. My wife and daughter have ancestors who were slaves, and that was my last ****ing straw. I wasn't going to stand by and let him sugarcoat the ownership of human beings like livestock.

Anyone else dealing with this shit? I've passed the point of biting my tongue. In a few short years my biracial daughter will be a young woman, on her own with people like them. I won't be able to use my whiteness to protect her anymore and it's tearing me up inside.

As Andrew Burke famously said "The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

I'll take "none of that ever happened for $500, Alex".
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:50:11 PM by franksolich »
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline Delmar

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 03:44:58 PM »
In a few short years my biracial daughter will be a young woman, on her own with people like them. I won't be able to use my whiteness to protect her anymore and it's tearing me up inside.

The poor dear, all alone and vulnerable without the mighty NickB there to protect her with his powerful whiteness.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 03:48:08 PM »
The politicization of the SC started with the Dems attack on Bork. It continued with the attack on Justice Thomas.

The a-holes made the rules, and are mad that we are making them live by them. Sucks, doesn't it?

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 09:19:48 PM »
You know... these people would still be alive if they weren't breaking the law
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »

As a proud southerner I’ve often heard the argument concerning whether the Civil War was about slavery or about states rights. Personally, I’ve  feel that choosing either as the sole cause is an over simplification; however, most liberals I’ve encountered are firmly in the “slavery as a cause” camp and believe that every single member of the confederacy was fighting solely to keep slavery alive. If so, that means, essentially by default, that OVER a quarter of a million WHITES (fighting for the Union) died to free the slaves. How do you DUmmie anti-everything-that’s-decent lunatics fit that into your “white man bad” narrative?
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 09:26:33 AM »
As a proud southerner I’ve often heard the argument concerning whether the Civil War was about slavery or about states rights. Personally, I’ve  feel that choosing either as the sole cause is an over simplification; however, most liberals I’ve encountered are firmly in the “slavery as a cause” camp and believe that every single member of the confederacy was fighting solely to keep slavery alive. If so, that means, essentially by default, that OVER a quarter of a million WHITES (fighting for the Union) died to free the slaves. How do you DUmmie anti-everything-that’s-decent lunatics fit that into your “white man bad” narrative?

I haven't looked for them in about 20 years, but many southern states' Declarations of Independence from the US are probably still online. They are in a format similar to the original D of I, listing grievances. The ones I glanced at listed preservation of slavery as A grievance. Not the sole grievance.

IIRC, the numbers of dead in the war were ~400K Union and ~200K Confederate. As a side note, some blacks fought and died for both sides.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Rufus2010

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 04:49:05 PM »
PurgedVoter (906 posts)

18. I am an retired and live in the South

The majority of my childhood classmates who could not understand why the Germans put up with Hitler are now solidly against Antifa. My people suck. Statistically, we old southern white men are racist idiots.

Since I am retired I don't have to see them or work with them. Worse yet, growing up and living in the South, I learned the language of the South. I have no idea how many stupid horrible wrong words have escaped my own lips without my knowing what I was saying.

Ok, boomer. :-)

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 08:02:19 PM »
I haven't looked for them in about 20 years, but many southern states' Declarations of Independence from the US are probably still online. They are in a format similar to the original D of I, listing grievances. The ones I glanced at listed preservation of slavery as A grievance. Not the sole grievance.

IIRC, the numbers of dead in the war were ~400K Union and ~200K Confederate. As a side note, some blacks fought and died for both sides.

I think the number that I remember for the Union was around 360000, but I could be wrong. I knew some of them were black. I figured some were civilians or non-combatants. That’s how I kind of pulled the ‘more than a quarter million’ out of the air.

And you’re right about the Declarations of most of the southern states. I kind of view it this way...I don’t drink Pepsi, but if you were to ban me from drinking Pepsi we’d have a problem. Not because of Pepsi, but because I don’t think it’s your first place to tell me what I scan and cannot drink.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 09:00:58 PM »
What a complete and total crock.
a) You'd be pretty freaking hard- pressed to find anyone who'd openly say that George Floyd deserved to die.
b) There's no freaking way anyone would have openly said those remarks about the Confederacy and plantations in a work setting. That's the kind of thing that could get an employee in serious trouble.
c) "Protesters are going to blow up Mount Rushmore." That sounds more like a parody of paranoia, like the equivalent of me imagining a leftist saying "Trump is gonna legalize the KKK and have them round up all non- whites and put them in camps!"

"ListenWhenYouHear (5 posts)

35. Because "AntiFa" has become the boogeyman of FoxNews.

Personally, I am not even sure that AntiFa protesters aren’t just paid thugs that D-list Right-wing pundits have used to get free-publicity to help them sell their books."
1. Sort of like how imagined "White supremacists" have become the boogeymen of the American left?
2. Of course they rely on their trusty "Agents provocateurs" claim. They bust that out every time someone on their side gets violent. Problem is, it's of course a lie. Antifa is the latest incarnation of the "Black bloc" Anarchist douchebags that have been a mainstay at ultra- liberal protests for decades, always eager to use such protests as an excuse to engage in what they euphemistically call "Direct actions," but which normal people call "Vandalism, violence, looting, and rioting." They're known for their ultraviolent tendencies (Not exactly helped by the fact that most of them are addicted to crack and/ or crystal meth and spend most of their waking hours high on them), the fact that the overwhelming majority of them are rich white spoiled trust fund brats, their unspeakably bad smell due largely to their belief that all forms of personal hygiene are for Nazis, and their strategy/ fashion statement of wearing almost all black and covering their faces with stupid bandanas that make them look like lobotomized Wild West bank robbers (This is done primarily for three reasons: To keep police from identifying and arresting them when they inevitably get violent, to keep their rich parents from recognizing them in news footage of the riots and cutting off their trust funds, and to conceal the fact that most of them have hideously rotted teeth due to a combination of meth- mouth and their aforementioned loathing of all forms of personal hygiene).
A notable past member of the "Black bloc" douchebags was James Holmes, the Aurora movie theater mass- shooter. Were he not rotting in prison where he belongs (Here's hoping he drops the soap every day), he would undoubtedly be proudly among Antifa's ranks right now.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 06:52:36 AM by Movie buff- The Sequel »

Offline SVPete

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 08:00:14 AM »
If they are thus determined, there is no fact a Trump-Hater will not deny, dodge, and ignore.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 04:39:48 PM »
DUmmie doesn't even understand the plantation comment.   :loser:

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 06:31:29 AM »

This is also true for wypipo who point a gun at a pregnant woman's stomach during a home invasion.