Author Topic: The cops could've issued George Floyd a ticket. No use of force necessary  (Read 472 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
suegeo (2,413 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215309272

The cops could've issued George Floyd a ticket. No use of force necessary
Last edited Tue Apr 6, 2021, 06:19 PM - Edit history (1)

A.L. Brown, Attorney, made an interesting comment on my electronic t.v. machine. Essentially he wondered why are we going on and on about use of force, necessary use of force.

Initially, when the cops encountered Floyd sitting in his car, the cops could have tapped on Flyod's car window, tell him they heard he passed on a fake $20 bill, wrote him a ticket, then say, "See you in court."

Instead of doing that, they point a gun at him and eventually cuff him and sat him down next to the Dragon Wok restaurant, across the street from Cup Foods.

Why not just issue a ticket and get on with the day?

Psychopaths. ACAB.

https://www.capitolcitylawgroup.com/attorney-profiles/a-l-brown/

:bird:

sop (4,517 posts)

1. In many ways these cops are more to blame for Floyd's death than Chauvin.

Chauvin only showed up at the scene after Floyd had been moved to the police vehicle and he resisted being placed in the back. That's when Chauvin got involved: he helped drag Floyd out of the vehicle, threw him on the ground, then put a knee on his neck. Had the responding officers not acted so aggressively and just given Floyd a ticket, Chauvin wouldn't be on trial for murder.

:thatsright:

Star Member yardwork (52,454 posts)

18. They're all racists.

Treefrog (708 posts)

3. I still wonder why he and his friends sat outside a store where they just passed a bad bill/

Doesn’t excuse the murderer in one bit, but wtf were they thinking?

This is the DU member formerly known as Pongo.

Star Member Jim__ (12,604 posts)

4. Morries Hall who was in Floyd's car said Floyd fell asleep at the wheel.

Morries said he told Floyd to leave because he thought the police would come; but Floyd fell asleep. The defense is trying to get Morries to testify, but he's refusing under the grounds that it would be self-incrimination.

Deminpenn (12,016 posts)

7. Because they didn't want to get arrested/cited for forgery

It came out before the trial began today that either the DA or defense wanted to call the guy who was sitting in the passenger seat of the car, but that guy said he'd take the 5th amendment if called.

I think the defense also wanted Hall to testify about all the petty crime he and Floyd had engaged in, but I think that would be prejudicial or relevent as Floyd isn't on trial.

Laha (286 posts)

26. Maybe they didn't know the bill was bad.

I just think that needs repeating. Worked in retail for years, not everyone knows if they've been handed a bad piece of currency. Even after years of experience I had to use a black light to check many of them.

I don't know many details of what led up to the murder. And murder is definitely what it was.

Probably not a good idea to speculate on other reasons they might have passed a bad bill. Whatever the reason, death was not justifiable by a fake 20.

Just my fake 2 cents, since pennies don't exist here anymore.

:whatever:

Star Member mcar (35,874 posts)

11. The police chief said that yesterday during testimony

The norm is to issue a summons in a suspected counterfeit case.

Another reason none of this makes any sense.

Star Member yardwork (52,454 posts)

21. It makes sense if you understand the underlying purpose of policing.

I have to say that the murder of George Floyd radicalized me. I now believe that policing in the U.S. is about controlling black people. That's what the communities want and that's what many police officers provide.

There isn't any difference between what happened to George Floyd and what happened to slaves who tried to escape or even just didn't comply.

:mental:

slumcamper (1,332 posts)

13. Yeah. And WE are WOKE.

Conservatives are chewing their nails to the bone, shitting their pants, and passing absurd "hail Mary" policies in GOP-controlled jurisdictions.

We gotta STAY woke, awaken more and more, and take them to the mat--and into the dustbin of history.

Keep your eyes on the prize: justice.

Evergreen Emerald (12,755 posts)

23. Actually, if he was impaired, they could not let him drive away.

:fuelfire:

suegeo (2,413 posts)

24. Q: How'd the cops know he was impaired? A: The cops did not know he was impaired.

They rolled up in their squad behind his car, took out their gun, pointed it at him, and told him to get out of the car.

I imagine if I had a gun pointed at me by cops, I'd freak out. The gun freaked Mr. Floyd out. Who the f*ck knew he was impared? Nobody. No breathalyzer, no blood work. Nada.

The cops should have worked to de-escalate the situation over a $20 bill. Instead, they whipped out their guns, and Floyd pleaded with them not to shoot him.

This was a few years after the cops shot the school lunch room dude, near the State Fair Grounds in St. Paul. A murder that I would imagine all African Americans in the Twin Cities would know about.

:whatever:

27. They spoke to the store clerk before meeting with him.

And, it was pretty evident that he was impaired based on the videos. So, letting him drive away was not an option. But, they should have deescalated when he refused to exit his vehicle.

Star Member Martin68 (16,780 posts)

29. Or they could have arrested him. In either case, violence was not necessary except for the ego

of the police involved. I don't believe Chauvin was scared of the crowd. I believe he wanted to demonstrate his dominance over Floyd to frighten and humiliate him, and demonstrate his power to the crowd and his fellow cops.

:yawn:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline YupItsMe

Quote from: Star Member yardwork (52,454 posts)

21. It makes sense if you understand the underlying purpose of policing.

I have to say that the murder of George Floyd radicalized me. I now believe that policing in the U.S. is about controlling black people. That's what the communities want and that's what many police officers provide.

There isn't any difference between what happened to George Floyd and what happened to slaves who tried to escape or even just didn't comply.

Well we're doing a pretty shitty job of it.  :mad:

Offline DUmpDiver

27. They spoke to the store clerk before meeting with him.

And, it was pretty evident that he was impaired based on the videos. So, letting him drive away was not an option. But, they should have deescalated when he refused to exit his vehicle.

And just how exactly are the cops supposed to deescalate when a drugged up suspect refuses to exit a vehicle?  Say "Pretty please?"

Or maybe they could call in a social worker.

Offline ADsOutburst

Deminpenn (12,016 posts)

7. Because they didn't want to get arrested/cited for forgery

It came out before the trial began today that either the DA or defense wanted to call the guy who was sitting in the passenger seat of the car, but that guy said he'd take the 5th amendment if called.

I think the defense also wanted Hall to testify about all the petty crime he and Floyd had engaged in, but I think that would be prejudicial or relevent as Floyd isn't on trial.
The prosecution wanted him to testify to be "the voice of George Floyd", but he took the 5th to avoid self-incrimination in a possible 3rd dgree murder trial.

Offline thundley4

Treefrog (708 posts)

3. I still wonder why he and his friends sat outside a store where they just passed a bad bill/

Doesn’t excuse the murderer in one bit, but wtf were they thinking?

This is the DU member formerly known as Pongo.

I had wondered that myself. I still wonder about the fact that Chauvin KNEW Floyd and worked at the same club.

Star Member Jim__ (12,604 posts)

4. Morries Hall who was in Floyd's car said Floyd fell asleep at the wheel.

Morries said he told Floyd to leave because he thought the police would come; but Floyd fell asleep. The defense is trying to get Morries to testify, but he's refusing under the grounds that it would be self-incrimination.

He had enough drugs in him that he passed out after committing a crime and knowing cops were on the way.

Offline SVPete

A ticket for passing counterfeit currency, a felony? Coming from DUmmies who are discussing the appropriate punishment for possessing a counterfeit vaccine record card, that's pretty rich!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline 67 Rover

A ticket for passing counterfeit currency, a felony? Coming from DUmmies who are discussing the appropriate punishment for possessing a counterfeit vaccine record card, that's pretty rich!

The Secret Service is not known for issuing tickets.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Imagine if Floyd wanted an audit of the 2020 election and questioned the efficacy of mask mandates.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."