Author Topic: New Cars in California Must Display Global Warming Score  (Read 3221 times)

Offline Lauri

Re: New Cars in California Must Display Global Warming Score
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2008, 05:15:42 PM »
Why do people think they have no power?  

Is this a rhetorical question?

Back during the last years of the Ann Richards governorship it was decide by the EPA and a handful of legislators that Texas' major metro areas would go to centralized auto inspections (instead of being able to run down the street and get it done at Wally's Automotive and Tackle Shop).  Contracts had been signed (read:sold).  Millions and millions of dollars were changing hands.  Stations were being built.  PSA's were running on TV about "it's the law!".

The entire plan got scrapped on Gov. George W. Bush's first day in office. 

I think Dallas was going to have six stations.  Six stations for ten million cars.  You do the math.  You can be assured what was a small civic duty that people volunteered to take care of once a year, in about a half hour at their leisure, was about to turn into a multi-day - all day - twice as expensive and unnecessary pain in the ass.  People, and more important, businesses were not happy. 

There was a quiet unpublicized revolt going on behind the scene.  Rental car agencies told Austin to stick it and threatened to pull out of Texas.  So did a few other transportation companies.  A lot of other companies and corporations let it be known they would be leaving.  It was a beautiful thing.

You should have seen the lawsuits flying when the new "system" was abruptly canceled.  Women, children, and minorities were the hardest hit (haha).  Some people who had bet their soul and way of life on the EPA lost big time.

It was a beautiful thing.

thats impressive. why doesnt he do more stuff like that?  :banghead:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: New Cars in California Must Display Global Warming Score
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2008, 05:17:42 PM »
For the first time in my life, I can be proud of a score of -38.

Is there a site that shows you that? I'd love to know what my '03 Tahoe Z-71 4WD with a 5.3L V-8 engine is.  :evillaugh:
My weekly cross-country flights gives me a carbon footprint the size of Texas. If I could only fly alone, or at least chartered like the Green EnrionmentalistTM move actors and rock stars.

At your age the footprints are fast approaching The Wall, so your ultimate damage will not be as drastic as it sounds.
If it wouldn't be so tragic for my wife, passing while flying would have for me a certain symmetry...

Every year, twelve people on average die of natural causes while flying in a commercial airline.  Maybe you'll get lucky.
One can only hope... ;)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.