Author Topic: Govt shutdown  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
Govt shutdown
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:45:06 PM »
So what do you think shutdown or no?

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Govt shutdown
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:47:23 PM »
We're taking it as a given around here.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 04:47:49 PM »
I dunno.  But I sure wish I woulda filed my taxes sooner.   :loser:
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 04:52:50 PM »
Joooooooooooooooooooooooos!!!!!
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 05:37:44 PM »
Reid and Obama do seem intent on making it happen.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:20:34 PM »
I'm confused, I understand when and why our government shuts down however, knowing very little about the system in the states I don't understand why this could happen or what it actually means.

Mind you I have yet to read the news however, could someone fill me in on what's happening and why?

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 06:24:48 PM »
I'm confused, I understand when and why our government shuts down however, knowing very little about the system in the states I don't understand why this could happen or what it actually means.

Mind you I have yet to read the news however, could someone fill me in on what's happening and why?

I would, but they are shutting off my comp---

[user offline due to government shut down of all non-emer---
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 06:46:19 PM »

It means a lot of pissing and moaning from the left.

Basically most people won't notice a difference from any other day.
Some fed workers may get some free days off. The military will get paid because I don't believe the Dems are stupid enough to pull that stunt and try to blame the GOP. If it does shut down I bet the dems will scramble to fund the military paychecks, after they piss and moan about how evil the GOP is. You can also expect that every political ad from the Dems next year will try like hell to pin this on the GOP.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »

I hope they close it down for at least 3 or 4 weeks or longer. Much longer. But I dunno. It does seem as though mother superior (John Boehner) finally got the memo. But its prob tough for him as he bats his long and oh so pretty eye lashes at 0dumbo, hoping to avoid any conflict (as all true blue RINOs are want to do behind the scenes).

Its a tough call. It could make Boehner break down and cry again ...But maybe he likes the act. Who knows?

Im guessing its hard for a leopard to change its spots and just as difficult for "the ruling class" to put the country ahead of political posturing. And of course, for RINOs to let go of their their little wind up beanie caps because they are oh soo smart.

:popcorn:
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Janice

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 06:05:18 AM »
I voted that there would be no govt shutdown, but it wouldnt surprise me if it was actually shut down for a very short time .. maybe 2 or 3 days. I dont think that Boehner could resist running over to the dems to bend over and grab the ankles for much longer than that for a paltry $40-60B cut.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 06:32:22 AM »
I voted that there would be no govt shutdown, but it wouldnt surprise me if it was actually shut down for a very short time .. maybe 2 or 3 days. I dont think that Boehner could resist running over to the dems to bend over and grab the ankles for much longer than that for a paltry $40-60B cut.
If you can figure out how to get $600 billion in cuts for the 5 remain months of the FY, I'm all ears.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 07:34:43 AM »

Yeah because he's caved since day one.
They didn't pass a bill to repeal obamacare, they haven't been fighting the dems over spending, in fact they have bent over backwards every time to give Obama exactly what he wants.  :whatever:

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 08:21:49 AM »
Yeah because he's caved since day one.
They didn't pass a bill to repeal obamacare, they haven't been fighting the dems over spending, in fact they have bent over backwards every time to give Obama exactly what he wants.  :whatever:

I could be misremembering, but I believe the House did do exactly that.  Futile and purely-symbolic gesture that it was, of course, since the Senate Majority Leader, Reid, essentially controls what gets to the floor of the Senate, and also controls enough votes to defeat it even if it was to be put to a vote there.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 08:28:42 AM »
I could be misremembering, but I believe the House did do exactly that.  Futile and purely-symbolic gesture that it was, of course, since the Senate Majority Leader, Reid, essentially controls what gets to the floor of the Senate, and also controls enough votes to defeat it even if it was to be put to a vote there.

I was being sarcastic.

Offline Janice

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 09:04:12 AM »
I am sick of the charade. If Boehner had any stones he would have tried to pass the higher cuts knowing the dems would deny them. They're going to demagogue it anyways. Make them defend it dammit! Over and over and over again. Defend spending unborn Americans future. Defend printing more money in 2 years than in all the previous 200 years combined. Yeah. Make 'em defend it!

But instead Boehner tips his hand and raises the white flag before its even put up for a vote. This is 'leadership'? Is this part of the 'change we can believe in' or what? You almost have to wonder if 0bozo and Boehner are related.

It just seems like republican (leadership) seldom misses an opportunity to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Especially these clowns who have been on Crapital Hill for decades. The 'Crap' has gone to their heads and their spines are left at the entry doors of congress. You know? Just another day. Doesnt matter that we are bankrupting our childrens and grand childrens future. Ho-hum.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 09:24:43 AM »
I am sick of the charade. If Boehner had any stones he would have tried to pass the higher cuts knowing the dems would deny them. They're going to demagogue it anyways. Make them defend it dammit! Over and over and over again. Defend spending unborn Americans future. Defend printing more money in 2 years than in all the previous 200 years combined. Yeah. Make 'em defend it!

But instead Boehner tips his hand and raises the white flag before its even put up for a vote. This is 'leadership'? Is this part of the 'change we can believe in' or what? You almost have to wonder if 0bozo and Boehner are related.

It just seems like republican (leadership) seldom misses an opportunity to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Especially these clowns who have been on Crapital Hill for decades. The 'Crap' has gone to their heads and their spines are left at the entry doors of congress. You know? Just another day. Doesnt matter that we are bankrupting our childrens and grand childrens future. Ho-hum.

This is the hardest I have seen the GOP fight for what we the voters asked from them in a long time.
Is it perfect? No, it's not.

Some conservatives are as bad as the people on DU thinking that their party can wave a magic wand and everything they want magically becomes law.

We have one house out of the 3 and we will be lucky to get a single dime in any cuts with Reid and Obama having the power to squash anything we try. For now the GOPis fighting and trying to show the American people that they are serious about moving forward on cutting the budget and balancing the damn thing.

It's going to take a decade at the very least in order to correct the sins of the past. If conservatives start bellyaching and complaining because change didn't come over night we are doomed because the dems will use that and take over all 3 houses again.

I honestly believe some people on my side need to grow up and realize that you can't get everything you want and instead of badmouthing those currently fighting to change things give them a break unless they start totally backing down which they may if our side isn't encouraging them to keep fighting.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 09:35:34 AM »
I am sick of the charade...

And the fact that US forces didn't move from Normandy to Berlin when a drive on the autobahn for the same distance would only last a few hours proves what commie-sympathizing ***** Eisenhower really was!

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 09:44:59 AM »

The House Republicans are in charge of 1/2 of 1/3 of the Federal government.

Please, I mean no offense, but I think what's shooting the Republicans in the foot, a lot of the time, is us. The Republicans need to remind everyone that it was the overwhelming Democrat majority who cowardly refused to pass a budget last year for political reasons.

Remember, these "spineless" House Republicans held together and fought the good fight against Obamacare. I'm not as pissed off at the house Republicans as many others are, I guess.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 09:50:34 AM »

I would also remind your interlocutor that even when the dems held both houses with super-majorities and the WH they were unable to get card-check and carbon limits passed.

That blanket de-funding of PPFA, NPR, ACORN and limits on the EPA etc are even passed ONE house is more than I would have dared dreamed last November when I was voting.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 09:53:30 AM »

The Dems are already blaming the shutdown on the GOP's refusal to compromise, but the gap is narrow enough that most reasonable people will be able to see (hopefully) that the blame cannot be laid entirely on the GOP's doorstep.  If the GOP cuts were ten times as big they would have no chance of getting the budget through the Senate and across the President's desk, and the claims that they are being deliberately obstructive would like start to sound reasonable to people. 

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 10:11:47 AM »
I wonder if there could be a second shut down like in 1995.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline redwhit

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 10:17:24 AM »
I would also remind your interlocutor that even when the dems held both houses with super-majorities and the WH they were unable to get card-check and carbon limits passed.

That blanket de-funding of PPFA, NPR, ACORN and limits on the EPA etc are even passed ONE house is more than I would have dared dreamed last November when I was voting.

Agreed.  They have done a remarkable job and should be commended.  The lingering worry is that they become complacent and wither away.

If I had a rep that was worthwhile I would be writing a thank you note right now.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 10:23:16 AM »
The Republicans need to remind everyone that it was the overwhelming Democrat majority who cowardly refused to pass a budget last year for political reasons.

That is exactly what happened last night on O'Reilly and Hannity. Their respective interviewees were continually peppered with the question as to why, when both Houses of Congress were controlled by Dems, a budget wasn't passed.

Hannity's turd was particularly shrill and bleating. His excuse ran the gamut from dealing with cap & trade, the next round of raising the deficit ceiling ( :whatever: ) and other such lame bullshit.

But I give both BOR and Hannity credit for sticking it to 'em.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 11:03:32 AM »

Please, I mean no offense, but I think what's shooting the Republicans in the foot, a lot of the time, is us. The Republicans need to remind everyone that it was the overwhelming Democrat majority who cowardly refused to pass a budget last year for political reasons.

Remember, these "spineless" House Republicans held together and fought the good fight against Obamacare. I'm not as pissed off at the house Republicans as many others are, I guess.

Shooting the republicans in the foot is almost as big a sport here, as it is at DU.
Granted when the GOP is wrong I join the chorus, however I don't see any evidence of being sold out yet.
Just because they can't deliver 100% of what we demand does not mean they have sold us out. When they start joining the choir with the Democrats then I will say we have been sold out. Until then I will hope that they continue fighting like they have been and get what they can for now, and hopefully in 2013 we will control at least 2, if not all 3 houses. If they get that and slack off then I will join the we have been sold out choir.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 11:09:44 AM »
Voted yes. Midnight is just around the corner, and I think it's imminent.

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!