Author Topic: Mandatory Arabic Classes Coming To Mansfield  (Read 874 times)

Offline cavegal

Mandatory Arabic Classes Coming To Mansfield
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »
http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/02/07/mandatory-arabic-classes-coming-to-mansfield/

MANSFIELD (CBSDFW.COM) – Some Students at Mansfield ISD schools could soon be learning Arabic as a required language.  The school district wants students at select schools to take Arabic language and culture classes as part of a federally funded grant.

The Foreign Language Assistance Program (FLAP) grant was awarded to Mansfield ISD last summer by the U.S. Department of Education.

As part of the five-year $1.3 million grant, Arabic classes would be mandatory at Cross Timbers Intermediate School and Kenneth Davis Elementary School.  The program would also be optional for students at T. A. Howard Middle School and Summit High School.
Read comment section.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline thundley4

Re: Mandatory Arabic Classes Coming To Mansfield
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:59:34 AM »
We don't have anything better to waste money on , do we?

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:09:26 AM »
Man, the commenters were pretty merciless.

It's a good idea to offer it as an elective, especially in some communities and schools that are NOT dominated by Islamic immigrant communities, so we can grow true Western speakers without depending on people with possibly-divided loyalties for our defense and other needs.  Making it a mandatory class anywhere is frickin' insane.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 11:24:32 AM »
What does the dept of education do for the US again?  Oh, that's right, they mandate learning the language of our enemies.  :fuelfire:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:54:57 AM »
I think they've got the acronym wrong. Instead of Foreign Language Assistance Program (FLAP) it should be Foreign Language Opportunity Program (FLOP).

:whatever:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:05:39 PM »
why the hell Arabic?  wouldn't Spanish be more logical?

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:22:25 PM »

Chinese, since they own us.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 12:26:27 PM »
From 1 of the comments, it seems that Prayer rooms were set aside for Muslim students, just like in some NYC schools, so where the heck is the ACLU in all of this?
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 05:49:47 PM »

It's not like we have any shortage of Spanish-speakers, but even Chinese would probably have been a less-controversial choice.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 05:57:51 PM »
Mansfield Arabic Program On Hold

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2011/02/07/mandatory-arabic-classes-coming-to-mansfield/

Updated: Feb 8, 2011 4:30 p.m.

MANSFIELD (CBSDFW.COM) – A Mansfield ISD program to teach Arabic language and culture in schools is on hold for now, and may not happen at all.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline compaqxp

• The Canadian
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 06:52:50 PM »
I say they teach them proper English like "colour" first.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 06:54:07 PM »

Now the parent's will be called Islamophobes :mental:

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
The day my district foists this on my children is the day I begin home schooling.

Also, I'm with Ballygrl on this one. Where is the outrage from the ACLU ???

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline T-Monay820

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 09:43:51 PM »
I can see some perks to this (the language training I mean, I could give two shits about Arab "culture"). I always hate it when I'm anywhere and some foreigners are whispering something to each other and you clearly know its not something they would yell in public in English. Now we can catch hadji trying to hide behind what is essentially "code". Or make it Chinese. Same concept applies.

Offline Karin

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 11:03:33 AM »
Oh I agree.  Language and language ONLY could come in mighty handy.  They can never stop there though.  Remember the big flap about Across the Centuries, and kids writing essays about goin on Hajj and all that bullshit? 

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 11:17:29 AM »
I can see some perks to this (the language training I mean, I could give two shits about Arab "culture"). I always hate it when I'm anywhere and some foreigners are whispering something to each other and you clearly know its not something they would yell in public in English. Now we can catch hadji trying to hide behind what is essentially "code". Or make it Chinese. Same concept applies.

I agree it is much fun to listen to foreign speakers trash us and out of the blue speak to them in their language.  What a shock to them.

Unnerving along the lines of walking into a room of people that speak your language and all fall quiet.------Paranoia, are they talking about ME.   Is there something I should not know??

Key words and phrases in all languages should be taught to kids.   ----The first words in English a foreigner learns is **** You-----

A good teacher can teach kids key words or simple phrases in 20 languages to kids, then when the kids settle in on what language they wish to learn, go from there.

We who speak English also borrow words from other languages, French, Spanish and Italian. Some English cannot be translated into foreign language and just listening to their jabber we can pick up enough English words to figure out what they are talking about.

Teach key words and words that that may be naughty but lead them into learning more.-----Yup teach a kid how to swear in 20 different languages and watch how they go from there.