Author Topic: Senate Republicans, run out the lame duck clock, just run out the clock!  (Read 992 times)

Offline Godot showed up

You've got the idea, now stick to it. The lying POS Dems are trying to use as much of the clock as possible--hence the weekend votes, and you can expect votes every weekend right until midnight of New Years' Eve--so just stand firm and run it out. We're with you! We'll take a temporary tax hike, secure in the knowledge that you'll make return to the Bush tax rates retroactive, and ALL the blame will fall on Senate Dems next year if they try to block full extension (but frankly, I'm pretty sure they lack the guts and the votes). And Obama? He's already on record as favoring an extension of some kind (must have been like biting into a lemon on every word for a Marxist ideologue like him to say that), so he can't simply veto an extension of all tax rates. If he does--he's over.

The Dems should get NOTHING. They have been repudiated, and had they a shred of decency they'd acknowledge that repudiation and not try to force through every piece of legislation the American people despise in the month they have left. But they don't have any decency--they are political criminams and you, Republicans, you're the police protecting us. Stay the course!

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
Re: Senate Republicans, run out the lame duck clock, just run out the clock!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »
You've got the idea, now stick to it. The lying POS Dems are trying to use as much of the clock as possible--hence the weekend votes, and you can expect votes every weekend right until midnight of New Years' Eve--so just stand firm and run it out. We're with you! We'll take a temporary tax hike, secure in the knowledge that you'll make return to the Bush tax rates retroactive, and ALL the blame will fall on Senate Dems next year if they try to block full extension (but frankly, I'm pretty sure they lack the guts and the votes). And Obama? He's already on record as favoring an extension of some kind (must have been like biting into a lemon on every word for a Marxist ideologue like him to say that), so he can't simply veto an extension of all tax rates. If he does--he's over.

The Dems should get NOTHING. They have been repudiated, and had they a shred of decency they'd acknowledge that repudiation and not try to force through every piece of legislation the American people despise in the month they have left. But they don't have any decency--they are political criminams and you, Republicans, you're the police protecting us. Stay the course!

While I won't agree with you on your assessment of the GOP as the good guys.  I will agree the smart thing to do is just to run out the clock.

I find it hilarious that the deal the GOP is willing to accept for tax cuts supposedly, increases the deficit even more, after it was a primary concern of the electorate.

I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:29:10 AM »
While I won't agree with you on your assessment of the GOP as the good guys.  I will agree the smart thing to do is just to run out the clock.

I find it hilarious that the deal the GOP is willing to accept for tax cuts supposedly, increases the deficit even more, after it was a primary concern of the electorate.

Funny, I don't hear any fat lady singing yet....
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 09:30:24 AM »

Funny, I don't hear any fat lady singing yet....

We'll see.  Might just be speculation.

Remember, a budget is in the deal as well as the UE extensions.
I hope we shall... crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." --Thomas Jefferson to George Logan, 1816.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 09:32:19 AM »
We'll see.  Might just be speculation.

Remember, a budget is in the deal as well as the UE extensions.

Yep, and let's remember that politics is all about dealmaking - not to endorse said dealmaking, but that's what those people do.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:37:59 AM »

I'm glad we at least agree on the political strategy.

The electorate--and most of the GOP--does NOT see money untaxed as a cost to government or a driver of increase to the deficit. It's plain offensive to regard OUR money, if not taxed, as revenue lost--how DARE they! In fact, we know that if they take in more revenue, they'll just spend more. The spending and the borrowing have to be stopped, and, if anything, tax rates should be LOWERED from where they are now. Actually, at that point, the Laffer curve will take over and the federal government WILL take in more revenue, but we can hope that at least THIS Congress (the 112th) will be able to restrain itself when they find themselves suddenly awash in funds from having done the right thing and allowed the private economy to work unparasitzied by a bloated, vampiric, and blatantly tyrannical and confiscating central government.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 09:40:49 AM »
Yep, and let's remember that politics is all about dealmaking - not to endorse said dealmaking, but that's what those people do.

Sometimes it's also about making the other party (the Dems) look like the scoundrels--and autocrats--that they are. If this goes into next year, the Republicans come out smelling like a rose. I doubt the Dems are smart enough to take a good deal. They're pandering to their hard left--with whom they DO agree, philosophically--and they probably will continue their pandering right past New Year.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 09:44:20 AM »
Sometimes it's also about making the other party (the Dems) look like the scoundrels--and autocrats--that they are. If this goes into next year, the Republicans come out smelling like a rose. I doubt the Dems are smart enough to take a good deal. They're pandering to their hard left--with whom they DO agree, philosophically--and they probably will continue their pandering right past New Year.

Agreed, and I'd go as far to say that both parties spend a great deal of time working the timing and the issues such that the other guy looks like the turd. And I wouldn't discount the Dems, despite Bela's obvious incompetency - there are some very determined Dems in that bunch.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 09:44:59 AM »
I'm glad we at least agree on the political strategy.

The electorate--and most of the GOP--does NOT see money untaxed as a cost to government or a driver of increase to the deficit. It's plain offensive to regard OUR money, if not taxed, as revenue lost--how DARE they! In fact, we know that if they take in more revenue, they'll just spend more. The spending and the borrowing have to be stopped, and, if anything, tax rates should be LOWERED from where they are now. Actually, at that point, the Laffer curve will take over and the federal government WILL take in more revenue, but we can hope that at least THIS Congress (the 112th) will be able to restrain itself when they find themselves suddenly awash in funds from having done the right thing and allowed the private economy to work unparasitzied by a bloated, vampiric, and blatantly tyrannical and confiscating central government.

Doubtful economically on that one as far as the Tax cut factored in.  The taxes are at this rate currently.  In a global economy, there is no guarantee that money stays in said country and there has been no signs from the demand side with the current deflationary debt crisis that aggregate demand is going to substantially increase.

This congress has a reprieve in the fact they have a Federal Reserve Chairman willing to monetize debt.

I don't believe keeping the tax cuts the same, increasing taxes, or decreasing taxes will have much effect on an economy that is currently in a deflationary debt crisis with a broken banking system.

As such I'm agnostic on the situation.

I'm not agnostic on monetization of debt by the Federal Reserve.  I think that has the potential to be a very large globally destabilizing event and will have horrible implications domestically.

I envision continued deflation on real property and continued inflation on commodities in the environment the Federal Reserve is creating.  That is pretty much a killer on margins and investment.

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »

There aren't any new cuts in the offing...though that would be nice.

This is the extension of the tax rates as they have been for almost a decade.

For someone supposedly so smart you so easily fall into the trap of Libtard rhetoric.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 04:36:29 PM »
There aren't any new cuts in the offing...though that would be nice.

This is the extension of the tax rates as they have been for almost a decade.

For someone supposedly so smart you so easily fall into the trap of Libtard rhetoric.

I believe the deal being worked on includes more spending.

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 06:10:48 PM »

The GOP is being set up by the dems. The dems will gladly sign on to the "tax cuts" along with the spending for the unemployment benefits.
The dems hope like hell if this deal goes through the deficit gets bigger and they can blame the GOP in 2012 during the campaigns.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 08:35:41 AM »
The GOP is being set up by the dems. The dems will gladly sign on to the "tax cuts" along with the spending for the unemployment benefits.
The dems hope like hell if this deal goes through the deficit gets bigger and they can blame the GOP in 2012 during the campaigns.

Ah, but there'll be lots of spending cuttin' coming out of the House starting in January. And how will the Dems justifiably resist that, if they want to portray themselves as caring about the deficit? They can do so, if they wish, but then the blame will be theirs (or Obama's).

Most people do not accept the warped Dem view of untaxed monies as a deficit driver.

Offline Allentownjake

• I'm a mole for OET
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 10:32:29 AM »
Ah, but there'll be lots of spending cuttin' coming out of the House starting in January. And how will the Dems justifiably resist that, if they want to portray themselves as caring about the deficit? They can do so, if they wish, but then the blame will be theirs (or Obama's).

Most people do not accept the warped Dem view of untaxed monies as a deficit driver.

I think Obama has played his hand, he is going to kill you on the deficit with bipartisan support.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 12:34:30 PM »
I think Obama has played his hand, he is going to kill you on the deficit with bipartisan support.

People simply don't think that way, and rightly so. That requires the strange contortion of thinking that first regards OUR money as the federal government's, and most people simply are NOT of that strange, leftist bent. If the deficit goes up and Obama refuses spending cuts, he gets the blame. No one will blame a continuation of existing tax rates.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 01:17:58 PM »

Wait a minute--did you write bipartisan support?!

:rotf:

Yeah, sure, Republicans are going to team up against themselves. If you're talking about 3 or 4 Rinos, believe me, no one cares. The House will originate nothing he wants.

Lots of spending cuts, though. Good stuff if you're serious about really reducing the deficit.