Author Topic: Would You Support Military Action Against Mexican Cartels?  (Read 3045 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Would You Support Military Action Against Mexican Cartels?
« on: October 07, 2010, 06:48:36 PM »
What is the degree of your general support for the idea:

A. No, never. Its a violation of Mexican sovereignty

B. No, we have too many military commitments already

C. Yes, if the kill US citizens in Mexican territory

D. Yes, if they kill US citizens in US territory

E. Yes, to prop-up the failing Mexican state before it actually collapses

F. Yes, but only after an actual collapse forces our hand

If you answered Yes to any of the above: What is the depth of force you are willing to commit assuming the graduation scale includes all preceding levels:

A. Small-units/Special Operations

B. Larger maneuver units

C. Artillery strikes

D. Rotary-wing aircraft (helicopters)

E. Fixed-wing aircraft (jets)

If you answered Yes in the first question: What sort of action would you support?

A. Punitive raids

B. Disruption/interdiction

C. maneuver in force until Mexican forces gain the upper hand

D. regime change

E. Long-term occupation

ALTERNATE OPTION: Gimme 12 Texans a keg of beer
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 06:54:56 PM by Mr Snuggle Bunny »
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline cavegal

Re: Would You Support Military Action Against Mexican Cartels?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 06:54:17 PM »
Yes, yes, and hell yes. All of the above on the last 2.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 08:54:28 PM »
I have more than 12 Texans.......they brew their own beer, but some sandwiches and a couple rounds would do. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 10:11:36 PM »
If iwas in charge and Congress was backing me up , Mexico would have first hand experiance with what used to be called an "Arc Light " Mission.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 04:08:57 PM »
Apparently the severed head of the lead investigator for the Falcon Lake incident has been delivered to the Mexican army as an outright taunt.

No word yet about whether the beheading was related to the Falcon Lake episode but whether he was killed for this investigation or another one speaks the boldness of the action and makes one wonder whether the Mexicans are able to assert their own governmental power.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 04:09:58 PM »
Apparently the severed head of the lead investigator for the Falcon Lake incident has been delivered to the Mexican army as an outright taunt.

No word yet about whether the beheading was related to the Falcon Lake episode but whether he was killed for this investigation or another one speaks the boldness of the action and makes one wonder whether the Mexicans are able to assert their own governmental power.

Pancho Villa part duex?
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »
Pancho Villa part duex?
George Patton, IIRC, claimed 5 kills with his pistol during that episode.

Personally, we should pound them into submission and force Spain and/or France to take them back under (relatively) adult supervision.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 04:46:59 PM »
There's already some talk of the Texas Militia gathering  some folks to do some ops down there.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline ToddWB

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 04:50:50 PM »
I'd support arming law abiding Mexicans so they could protect themselves, some 72 yo woman in Juarez blasted a couple of them to Hell, she didn't give a damnm if they'd made a law against private ownership of firearms, she's damn glad she used her (dammmn whippersnappers!)
At my desk, listening to talk radio

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 05:30:25 PM »
There's already some talk of the Texas Militia gathering  some folks to do some ops down there.
Private citizens committing acts of international armed conflict and then returning to the US  where they will presumabley be shielded by US law enforcement and military is a bad idea. It would degrade US sovereignty and the presidency's plenary Article II powers (notice I said "presidency" and not "president's"). Granted, with Obama in charge there isn't much sovereignty to protect but the precedent of private citizens waging private wars but seeking US government protection is a bad idea.

Kill the little ****ers on US soil all day long if you want but if the militias go over they should stay over or come home and be arrested.

On the PR side it's a horrible idea as it plays to the stereotype of the drunk redneck racist being overly-armed and trigger-happy. Obama won't close the border or fight narco-terrorists, he'll use it as an excuse to skirt the Heller and MacDonald decisions.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 04:32:06 AM »
Private citizens committing acts of international armed conflict and then returning to the US  where they will presumabley be shielded by US law enforcement and military is a bad idea. It would degrade US sovereignty and the presidency's plenary Article II powers (notice I said "presidency" and not "president's"). Granted, with Obama in charge there isn't much sovereignty to protect but the precedent of private citizens waging private wars but seeking US government protection is a bad idea.

Kill the little ****ers on US soil all day long if you want but if the militias go over they should stay over or come home and be arrested.

On the PR side it's a horrible idea as it plays to the stereotype of the drunk redneck racist being overly-armed and trigger-happy. Obama won't close the border or fight narco-terrorists, he'll use it as an excuse to skirt the Heller and MacDonald decisions.

When I said, "down there", I meant on US soil, on or near the border. They're not talking about invading Mexico.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 06:08:29 AM »
When I said, "down there", I meant on US soil, on or near the border. They're not talking about invading Mexico.
Then I hope they make damn sure of their targets because if they hurt a legal immigrant we'll lose every politician that might have stood up to Obama.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 06:33:39 AM »
I know I don't have a dog in this hunt so to speak - but wouldn't the best plan be to use military assets to properly enforce the border ?. Prevention rather than cure.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 07:53:08 AM »
I know I don't have a dog in this hunt so to speak - but wouldn't the best plan be to use military assets to properly enforce the border ?. Prevention rather than cure.

Ya think?   :thatsright:   That would be nice.  Doesn't seem to be much of an option these days though.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2010, 09:28:43 AM »
Actually I wouldn't have a problem unleashing an Einsatzkommando on their asses.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline ToddWB

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 09:49:45 AM »
Actually I wouldn't have a problem unleashing an Einsatzkommando on their asses.
Hey...I'm on the Border, 3 hours to the murder capital of the world. I'll rent you a spot for gun embankments, but.....
At my desk, listening to talk radio

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 01:50:32 PM »
I'm gonna go with large unit armored incursion (with close air support) to establish a buffer zone 100 miles deep into Mexico.......advise their government that they can have it back when they prove that they can maintain order there, accompanied by a promise that if they don't perform, the next incursion won't stop until the southern suburbs of Mexico City are secured.

Fun to speculate about, but such a plan would require a US government with a set of balls........which we well know doesn't exist.

Two problems solved......illegal immigration, and narcoterrorism..........

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 02:26:07 PM »
Private citizens committing acts of international armed conflict and then returning to the US  where they will presumabley be shielded by US law enforcement and military is a bad idea. It would degrade US sovereignty and the presidency's plenary Article II powers (notice I said "presidency" and not "president's"). Granted, with Obama in charge there isn't much sovereignty to protect but the precedent of private citizens waging private wars but seeking US government protection is a bad idea.

They've already comitted acts of war.  There are countless incidents where the Border Patrol has come under fire by Mexican Army units....units that have crossed the border into the U.S. to provide cover for the drug runners.

Last time I checked...on country crossing a sovergn boder and committing violent acts constitutes war.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 02:37:35 PM »
Fun to speculate about, but such a plan would require a US government with a set of balls........which we well know doesn't exist.

How about a Governor with an entire Mechanized Infantry Division in his state?

They are his troops.  What's going on cross border is civil unrest/civil emergency.

We've already got a Brigade Combat Team headquartered in Weslaco.

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 02:44:53 PM »
How about a Governor with an entire Mechanized Infantry Division in his state?

They are his troops.  What's going on cross border is civil unrest/civil emergency.

We've already got a Brigade Combat Team headquartered in Weslaco.

Hey....it works for me!!

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 03:25:38 PM »
As far as the Texas Militia, I haven't read of any ROEs, yet. One would HOPE that they wouldn't get crazy and just start shooting at people. I would also hope that IF they did get into the shooting thing, it would be, "fire on only IF fired upon".....

But, you are right, this could go very badly with the wrong people involved. I've already read a comment by one of them that didn't give me the warm fuzzies.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2010, 04:39:49 PM »
They've already comitted acts of war.  There are countless incidents where the Border Patrol has come under fire by Mexican Army units....units that have crossed the border into the U.S. to provide cover for the drug runners.

Last time I checked...on country crossing a sovergn boder and committing violent acts constitutes war.
OK.

But Thor and I were discussing the TX militia and I mistakenly interpreted his "go down there" as an insinuation that they would be crossing the border.

Personally, I'd be OK with repelling Mexican army units by force. In the interests of fairness, however, I must wonder aloud/in writing if the Mexican government has sanctioned these incursions and the use of force. I suspect the Mexican government barely contrls the bathrooms in their own government buildings these days an I would not be surprised to hear these are renegade units.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 05:30:13 PM »
I'd definitely support military action against the cartels - with overwhelming force. Armor, artillery, light weapons infantry, ground support aircraft, whatever it takes to send the unmistakable message that we will defend our borders.

Beforehand, however, I'd send a message to the U.N. to butt the **** out of our little adventure. Resolutions, demands, requests, political pressure, all of that emanating from the U.N. is meaningless. We're going to do what we have to do.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 06:07:17 PM »
I'd definitely support military action against the cartels - with overwhelming force. Armor, artillery, light weapons infantry, ground support aircraft, whatever it takes to send the unmistakable message that we will defend our borders.

Beforehand, however, I'd send a message to the U.N. to butt the **** out of our little adventure. Resolutions, demands, requests, political pressure, all of that emanating from the U.N. is meaningless. We're going to do what we have to do.

Indeed.  I don't understand why more people don't understand how heinous this is.  It is an invasion.  No doubt. This isn't a trifling issue.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 06:10:18 PM »
Indeed.  I don't understand why more people don't understand how heinous this is.  It is an invasion.  No doubt. This isn't a trifling issue.

The only way you will get dems to turn their backs on 12 to 20 million undocumented voters is if the GOP can exploit the Catholic up-bringing of the illegals to swing issues like abortion and gay marriage.

If we could do that the dems would pillage every Home Depot within 500 miles of the US-Mexican border to put up a fence.