Author Topic: AZ to LA: okay, FINE!  (Read 2529 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
AZ to LA: okay, FINE!
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »
And we all know what THAT means when the wife says that in marital disputes.

Dear Mayor Villaraigosa,

I was dismayed to learn that the Los Angeles City Council voted to boycott Arizona and Arizona-based companies — a vote you strongly supported — to show opposition to SB 1070 (Support our Law Enforcement and Safe Neighborhoods Act).

You explained your support of the boycott as follows: “While we recognize that as neighbors, we share resources and ties with the State of Arizona that may be difficult to sever, our goal is not to hurt the local economy of Los Angeles, but to impact the economy of Arizona.  Our intent is to use our dollars — or the withholding of our dollars — to send a message.”

I received your message; please receive mine.  As a state-wide elected member of the Arizona Corporation Commission overseeing Arizona’s electric and water utilities, I too am keenly aware of the “resources and ties” we share with the City of Los Angeles. In fact, approximately twenty-five percent of the electricity consumed in Los Angeles is generated by power plants in Arizona.

If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation. I am confident that Arizona’s utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands. If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona’s economy.

People of goodwill can disagree over the merits of SB 1070. A state-wide economic boycott of Arizona is not a message sent in goodwill.

Sincerely,

Commissioner Gary Pierce

http://hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/letter-azcc-villaraigosa.pdf.pdf
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Re: AZ to LA: okay, FINE!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:47:52 PM »
Very nice.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 02:52:06 PM »
 :heart:

I love that.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 03:04:35 PM »
:nelson:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:12:16 PM »
Thats a great idea.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »
Suh-weet.  I like.

Here's another point to consider when you encounter a ri-tard lib who is spouting all the "AB-1070 is eeeeeevillllleeee" talking points.

Ask them how many Hispanics are leaving Arizona in anticipation of the new law.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 04:22:41 PM »
Suh-weet.  I like.

Here's another point to consider when you encounter a ri-tard lib who is spouting all the "AB-1070 is eeeeeevillllleeee" talking points.

Ask them how many Hispanics are leaving Arizona in anticipation of the new law.

I think that is what California is worried about.  Instead of just having to worry about illegals from their southern border, now they'll have them coming from Arizona as well.

Offline 5412

AZ utility board member responds to the mayor of LA
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 04:57:41 PM »
Hi,

I hope they shut em down!  They should wait until the hottest damn day in the middle of the summer and pull the switch and let them all sweat legals and illegals alike.

regards,

http://hotair.com/archives/2010/05/18/az-utility-board-member-responds-to-la-boycott-over-sb1070/
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 05:05:32 PM by 5412 »

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 08:45:33 AM »
If the gloves are really going to come off, AZ ought to go public with a public, full-on campaign to woo businesses out of the oppressive regulatory and litigation-heavy environment of CA and pull them across the border.  Leave all the revenue consumers in cess pool and bring the revenue producers over from the dark side.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline cavegal

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 10:58:23 AM »
I just love it .. :cheersmate: :rotf: It is about time

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 11:05:15 AM »
Other California cities, including Oakland, Berkely, and San Francisco, have passed similar measures.

Oakland?  Berkeley?  Yeah, there's a threat.  "We won't come to Arizona!"

I think most Arizona residents would be relieved.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 11:41:12 AM »
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/may/14/some-in-arizona-canceling-trips-to-sd/

Some in Arizona canceling trips to S.D.
Outrage over local censure votes may be a misunderstanding

By Lori Weisberg, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

Friday, May 14, 2010 at 12:04 a.m.

San Diego tourism leaders and hoteliers fear they could lose a sizable chunk of business this summer from valued “Zonies” who are so angered by elected leaders’ recent censure of Arizona for its illegal-immigration law that they’re mounting an informal boycott of their own.

The San Diego Convention & Visitors Bureau and several hotels report receiving e-mails and letters from Arizona visitors saying they intend to change their plans to travel here in light of local outcry over their home state’s anti-illegal-immigration stance.

The bureau says it has received about 25 to 30 e-mails from Arizona residents reacting to resolutions passed last month by the San Diego City Council and school board, which were little more than symbolic protests aimed at the neighboring state’s lawmakers.

School board President Shelia Jackson said that while she was disappointed to hear of people opting to stay away from San Diego, she doesn’t regret her vote.

“It’s sad that people would cancel their plans to come here in reaction to that, but I still think we did the right thing,” Jackson said. “Certainly, we know how important tourism is to San Diego, and it wasn’t my intent to impact the tourism trade.”

Well you're going to regret it,  :censored:.

And all the rest of us--across the country--are keeping a list and checking it twice. We'll stay on top of who's naughty or nice.

Not only won't you ever be seeing a cent of this NYer's money (and I was actually thinking of going to Cali next year..that's over, and by the way, I would have definitely have spent some time in SD), every damn sports team or other association that boycotts AZ is invisible to me for now on. To lots of us.

http://www.kpho.com/news/23549107/detail.html

Arizonans Fighting Back Against Boycotts
New Effort to Boycott Groups Boycotting AZ Due To New Immigration Law
Jason Barry
Reporter, KPHO.com

POSTED: 6:43 pm MST May 13, 2010
UPDATED: 8:45 am MST May 14, 2010

PHOENIX -- Los Angeles has just become the nation's largest city to boycott Arizona for passing a tough immigration law.

Now, anti-protesters have come out to say they'll boycott L.A. right back.

Kelly Townsend of Gilbert doesn't like hearing about people across the country boycotting Arizona.

"I think it's an intimidation tactic that has caught on and people think if they make enough noise and have big enough tantrum, then they'll get their way," said Townsend.

Townsend has helped create a website, phoenixteaparty.ning.com, that supports Arizona's new immigration law and calls for a counter boycott targeting cities, politicians and businesses speaking out against Arizona.

"We have a lot of people that don't sit on sidelines and say OK," said Townsend. "If you're going to play that tactic, we can respond with a counter boycott."

CBS-5 News has also received a number of e-mails from viewers in favor of boycotting the boycotters.

<SNIP>

YOU ARE NOT ALONE ARIZONANS! THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS ARE WITH YOU AND THE BOYCOTT BULLIES ARE GOING TO SUFFER. FOR A LOOOOONG TIME TO COME. WE'LL BRING LA, ALL OF THEM, TO THEIR KNEES. THEY'LL BE BEGGING TO BE PERCEIVED AS HAVING REVERSED THEIR POSITIONS BY THE TIME THE REST OF THIS COUNTRY IS DONE WITH THEM.

CRUSH THE AMERICA-HATING BASTARDS!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 11:50:15 AM by Chris »

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 11:56:39 AM »
The enemy is listed here:

http://www.buycottarizona.com/Boycott_the_Boycotters.html

SEIU - Service Employees International Union
United Food & Commercial Workers International Union
National Council of La Raza
Center for Community Change
League of United Latin American Citizens
National Puerto Rican Coalition
Leadership Conference on Civil & Human Rights

Oh, losing this group has got to hurt.  :lmao:

-------------

And I'm a NYer. I live in liberal hell. And I'm changing my travel plans to support AZ. Can you imagine how this is playing in TX? In Georgia? In Oklahoma? I'll bet many Texans are quietly crossing Austin off their own lists.

Oh man, we are going to show you lot who really has the power. Of course, Pierce is doing so in a literal sense.

I've been reading some crap in the DU about--"but...but...aren't these contracts? How dare they!". Yeah, they are, until the time the paragraphs that describe renegotiation periods become operative. THEN, AZ's power companies can say "yep, time to renegotiate. The price for you is $1 million/killowatt-hour. Just for you.

Some other DUpe posts are along the lines of "AZ's power companies will never agree to lose the money." Yo, stupids, there are plenty of buyers for electricity. AZ does not need LA as a buyer.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 12:05:12 PM »
The enemy is listed here:

http://www.buycottarizona.com/Boycott_the_Boycotters.html

Oh, losing this group has got to hurt.  :lmao:

-------------

And I'm a NYer. I live in liberal hell. And I'm changing my travel plans to support AZ. Can you imagine how this is playing in TX? In Georgia? In Oklahoma? I'll bet many Texans are quietly crossing Austin off their own lists.

Oh man, we are going to show you lot who really has the power. Of course, Pierce is doing so in a literal sense.

I've been reading some crap in the DU about--"but...but...aren't these contracts? How dare they!". Yeah, they are, until the time the paragraphs that describe renegotiation periods become operative. THEN, AZ's power companies can say "yep, time to renegotiate. The price for you is $1 million/killowatt-hour. Just for you.

Some other DUpe posts are along the lines of "AZ's power companies will never agree to lose the money." Yo, stupids, there are plenty of buyers for electricity. AZ does not need LA as a buyer.

I can't speak of all of Texas, but I heard on the radio yesterday here in Dallas, that some city council members wanted to boycott AZ.  (duh)  The mayor said that he thought Dallas had better things to do, like work on the budget.   :-)

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »
What I find pathetic is that there is all of this uproar about NOTHING!!! Arizona's new law merely mirrors Federal Law. Of course, since Arizona's law wasn't drawn in pictograms, nobody has bothered to read it because English isn't their primary language.

Why are we not boycotting Mexico because of their harsh illegal immigration  laws??

Why are we not prosecuting the Mayors of these so-called sanctuary cities" for NOT enforcing their state laws and Federal laws??

These people calling for a "boycott" of Arizona are only pointing out their own stupidity, IMO.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 12:59:43 PM »
I foresee a few brown/blackouts in LA come July, August on a reaaalllllllllly hot day.....

Can't imagine what will cause it though..... :evillaugh:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 01:11:10 PM »
I foresee a few brown/blackouts in LA come July, August on a reaaalllllllllly hot day.....

Can't imagine what will cause it though..... :evillaugh:

LA already has a lot of them, so it won't be anything new.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 01:16:36 PM »

they may just become more frequent....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 01:17:49 PM »

Ahem...  :bird:
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 01:32:55 PM »
Ahem...  :bird:

What ??? The truth hurts ?!?!?!? Dude, seriously, that's what I've heard over the last few summers is that LA has rolling brownouts due to their excessive power consumption. All they do is whine about  it. That was not meant as a reflection on your power company's ability to provide power. So, anyways, no thanks!!! Damned Sub Sailor........ always wanting to screw the guys.........  :lmao: :lmao:

Offline Godot showed up

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2010, 09:55:26 PM »
What I find pathetic is that there is all of this uproar about NOTHING!!! Arizona's new law merely mirrors Federal Law. Of course, since Arizona's law wasn't drawn in pictograms, nobody has bothered to read it because English isn't their primary language.

Why are we not boycotting Mexico because of their harsh illegal immigration  laws??

Why are we not prosecuting the Mayors of these so-called sanctuary cities" for NOT enforcing their state laws and Federal laws??

These people calling for a "boycott" of Arizona are only pointing out their own stupidity, IMO.

It isn't really about nothing, Thor. Arizona has provided a focal point for a great deal of frustration from the majority who want the border enforced. The near-dictatorship in the WH had this on its near-term agenda, and people knew it. AZ did us all a huge favor, really, and we owe the AZ legislature and Jan Brewer a lot for this. They stalled the Obama agenda on amnesty; put the libs on the political defensive. That their response was so ferocious only underscores how dire and close the danger of a general amnesty law was, and also that they feel frustrated to have lost the political offensive; and the high level of frustration confrims they were near to pulling something off---maybe some Memorial Day and Independence Day votes.  We'd be fools to imagine they wouldn't have blindsided us with this--look how they came back with Obamacare after we thought we were done with it. We shouldn't think for a second that Obama and his fellow travelers in Congress were focusing on cap and trade only as we were told ad nauseam in the press. This admin. loves to pull headfakes.

Isn't the battle for some tiny patch of geography, in a real war, a famous literary metaphor for futility? The hill or meadow that has no intrinsic value that we associate with value in peace time, such as gold in the ground or great pasture land. The truth though is that the rules change in war, and then suddenly, even if the patch of ground does'nt even carry with it a single tactical advantage--and they often do--war is still a zero sum business, sometimes, where geography is concerned. AZ is both literally geography and figurative political geography in this political war, and the fight is anything but futile.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 09:34:52 AM by Godot showed up »

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 11:05:30 PM »
I can't speak of all of Texas, but I heard on the radio yesterday here in Dallas, that some city council members wanted to boycott AZ.  (duh)  The mayor said that he thought Dallas had better things to do, like work on the budget.   :-)
Probably an idea hatched by John Wiley Price and that guy who went to prison (black dude who wore the african hats).

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 07:44:39 AM »
What ??? The truth hurts ?!?!?!? Dude, seriously, that's what I've heard over the last few summers is that LA has rolling brownouts due to their excessive power consumption. All they do is whine about  it. That was not meant as a reflection on your power company's ability to provide power. So, anyways, no thanks!!! Damned Sub Sailor........ always wanting to screw the guys.........  :lmao: :lmao:

Well actually, you heard wrong.  There hasn't been a Stage 3 power alert (which would result in brownouts/rolling blackouts) since 2001.

Do transformers fail?  Do cars hit poles?  Every damned day--but it's not a consumption issue.  Matter of fact, load right now is nada compared to what it will be in August, and there'll still be about a 5000 MW reserve.

And finally, I didn't work for LADWP.  I worked for SCE, which covers the area around LA, with the exceptions of a few munis such as Anaheim, Riverside, etc...

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »
Probably an idea hatched by John Wiley Price and that guy who went to prison (black dude who wore the african hats).

which one??? 

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Actually it was Steve Salazar..

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2010, 10:56:29 AM »
Well actually, you heard wrong.  There hasn't been a Stage 3 power alert (which would result in brownouts/rolling blackouts) since 2001.

Do transformers fail?  Do cars hit poles?  Every damned day--but it's not a consumption issue.  Matter of fact, load right now is nada compared to what it will be in August, and there'll still be about a 5000 MW reserve.

And finally, I didn't work for LADWP.  I worked for SCE, which covers the area around LA, with the exceptions of a few munis such as Anaheim, Riverside, etc...

Damn, Sparky, give me a little credit. I realize that many things affect power distribution that are outside of the power company's influence. One of my Facebook friends was complaining last summer about the rolling brownouts and power outages. She lives in California.