Author Topic: Santa Clara CA bans toys in fast food (Happy Meals)  (Read 3884 times)

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
  • I love someone with Autism
Re: Santa Clara CA bans toys in fast food (Happy Meals)
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2010, 11:16:44 AM »
Once, when I was a kid, we lived in a house with only one bathroom.

There were times when my folks did not know where the next meal was coming from.  Us kids would have shrunk into our shoes if we had complained.  I remember my Mom crying because we were forced to eat beans and cornbread for a couple of days.  We loved it.  Still do.  
When I was 9,we were struggling, and our next door neighbor,an elderly gentleman of about 80 years, offered to take me fishing.  I felt like Superman when I brought home enough fish to make two meals for all of us.  Ever since,when times get tough, the "tough" goes fishing.
We have allowed our kids to get soft. I am aware that we were just trying to make life easier for them,but I think we made matters worse.
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2010, 11:18:34 AM »

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2010, 11:19:03 AM »
Vesta is on the money

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2010, 11:19:51 AM »
Vampires?  In Santa Clara?  Where are they?  Are they the sexy type, or the scary type?

I thought it was Zombies?/

or was that LA?

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2010, 11:28:19 AM »

Me Too!  And one phone.  And one TV.  And one Mom who controlled usage on all of em. 

We should have been so lucky to have one phone and one TV. And one Mom. No, when I was a kid.....

We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

(Second threadjack in the same thread. What's the record?)

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 11:53:33 AM »
We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

Was the mill uphill, against the wind, both ways?

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 12:04:52 PM »
We should have been so lucky to have one phone and one TV. And one Mom. No, when I was a kid.....

(Second threadjack in the same thread. What's the record?)
I'm glad you think my family's poverty is a joke. 
War is cruelty. There is no use trying to reform it. The crueler it is, the sooner it will be over. -- Gen William T. Sherman

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 12:12:33 PM »
I'm glad you think my family's poverty is a joke. 

I don't think it was meant that way.....if you reread the thread...it went off-topic before and after your post.

You will find that it happens a lot at this forum and the responses following one post is not necessarily responding to the previous post.....

It can get confusing...and sometimes requires reading back a couple of posts to have it make sense.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline tiny1

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 12:22:01 PM »

I don't think it was meant that way.....if you reread the thread...it went off-topic before and after your post.

You will find that it happens a lot at this forum and the responses following one post is not necessarily responding to the previous post.....

It can get confusing...and sometimes requires reading back a couple of posts to have it make sense.

It was the content of the post, not the order.  Sounds like Liberals mocking common folk.  Didn't expect it froma Conservative forum.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 12:52:12 PM »
It was the content of the post, not the order.  Sounds like Liberals mocking common folk.  Didn't expect it froma Conservative forum.

It was a one-upmanship thing.  No one is making fun of poverty (yours or anyone's).   We laugh a lot here.  No one is trying to hurt feelings.  It's lighthearted fun.  Like many moons ago when I said I use to have to eat toaster crumbs. 

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 12:56:03 PM »
It was a one-upmanship thing.  No one is making fun of poverty (yours or anyone's).   We laugh a lot here.  No one is trying to hurt feelings.  It's lighthearted fun.  Like many moons ago when I said I use to have to eat toaster crumbs. 

Yeah, most of us have also lived in the same situation at some point.  And surviving it makes us proud.  Joking about it gives us a smile. 

Man.  You had a toaster?   :o
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 01:36:21 PM »
Tiny, try not to take anything personally, its usually all in good fun. If you take things too seriously your going to freak out when you come across a ptarmigan-Bunny battle royale. (hehehe)

I, too, am very poor. Trust me, I never talk about it, but I am. Doesn't mean I can't make fun of bobolink or the welfare "somebody owes me" queen with 15 kids. Or especially making fun of leftist bouncies, those are always so mockable.

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 02:15:14 PM »

If I was mocking YOU, I would have quoted YOU. (Like I'm doing here.)

I did not quote you, I quoted IassaFTots.

It was also a Monty Python "Four Yorkshiremen" skit quote. (By the way, everyone, good job on completely missing that:tongue: )

You might want to learn the ins and outs of the board before you go off on a drama queen tangent, they don't seem to last long around here. Also, you'll need a thicker skin.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 02:26:02 PM »

It was also a Monty Python "Four Yorkshiremen" skit quote. (By the way, everyone, good job on completely missing that:tongue: )

Oh well, hell.   :thatsright:

Mortified, I am.

R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 02:27:53 PM »
That skit is a classic.  "In the morning, we would have to get out of bed and lick the road clean with our tongues."
[youtube=425,350]Xe1a1wHxTyo[/youtube]
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.