Author Topic: Woodstock: Generation Idiot  (Read 1522 times)

Offline bijou

Woodstock: Generation Idiot
« on: August 16, 2009, 08:38:22 AM »
Sickeningly, an effluvium of nostalgia over the debacle concert near the town of Woodstock, New York in August of 1969 is everywhere. It’s the big 4-0. We should take this anniversary to remember that the catch phrase of the Woodstock generation eventually became “don’t trust anyone over 30.” In the case of the white wash of what really happened with the concert in Max Yasgur’s field, the warning is fitting because the truth seems to be forgotten for the fluffy propaganda of how wonderful the concert was. The concert is also emblematic of some of the vapid 60’s generation — by no means all of them, but the worst of them, to be sure.
In this single event we see some of the worst aspects of Bill Clinton’s generation of twits, thieves, anti-Americans, fools, and ignoramuses all wrapped up with the arrogance that we’ve come to associate with the extreme left in America today. Just think of how this messy event went down. ...

link

Having read this, I'm amazed it wasn't even more of a shambles than it was.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: Woodstock: Generation Idiot
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 09:08:48 AM »
I came across a similar article on FR yesterday...

Woodstock: 3 Days of Fraud, Deceit and Hypocrisy

The boys (and girls) of Woodstock were not such an inclusive group. One of the myths about Woodstock is that it was some altruistic event.

Woodstock was all about money. John Roberts, the Ivy League heir to the Polident fortune, financed it. He and his partners were in it for profit. They never stated otherwise. Max Yasgur, whose farm was the site of the event and whose name was immortalized in song, was anything but a simple dairy farmer. He was an NYU graduate and one of the wealthiest farmers in the area. He also walked away with $75,000 or about $300,000 in current dollars. Not bad for the three-day rental of 600 idle acres.

Although it was good PR, it was not true. No, the promoters had to make it a free concert. The Woodstock generation wants what they want--and they want it free – just like their health insurance. They wanted to go to the concert so they crashed the gate.

Good intentions did not make Woodstock a free concert, poor business planning did.

Woodstock exposed the hypocrisy of the left. A half million people either spent money that could have been donated to charity or took food. They usurped resources from the government that could have gone to the poor.

Why? So they could have a good time.

The boys (and girls) from the Wood' proclaim themselves "veterans." In their characteristic hubris, they want to erect a monument to Woodstock. What is there to venerate? Woodstock was nothing more than kids with no responsibilities acting irresponsibly.

(etc, etc)
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Flame

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 10:05:34 AM »
There is a movie coming out soon about Woodstock...I've seen some previews, anyway.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 12:20:12 PM »
A classic rock station in the area has been playing Woodstock retrospective music heavily for the past couple of days, no doubt doing the same today.  Hard to believe how much most of it blew.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 08:25:33 PM by DumbAss Tanker »
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 12:37:52 PM »
Awesome story! I really had no idea.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 01:12:56 PM »
After the gates crashed, there was a semi-successful attempt to sell the event as some sort of vital social phenomenon based on mutual respect among the free-love generation's new generation.  It was all about peace, love, music, and flowers.  Ha!

Even at the tender age of 15, I wasn't buying it.  To me it looked like a filthy momentary monument to self-indulgence and immorality. 

Woodstock was not "important".  Woodstock was an embarrassment.  It needs to be forgotten, not immortalized.   

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 01:15:44 PM »
What is so great about Woodstock? I wasn't born. Sounds like any other music festival to me.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 02:08:11 AM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY7_ZwgoeJM[/youtube]

:-)
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 05:04:09 AM »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY7_ZwgoeJM[/youtube]

:-)

Now your talking about my generation.    Unfortunately the hippie era was not in the cards for me, I was changing diapers and moving in Military dependent life style.

You know when your a kid, and the draft is taking family and friends, they come home in a box and the towns people accuse your departed as a baby killer-----What is one to think.?

Very complex times, and easy to see how people dived into Pot to relive their confusion.

Long time ago, almost 2 generations have passed. Now the times come back to haunt us are we are now grandparents watching as Johnny goes marching off to WAR.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 11:40:19 AM »
Now your talking about my generation.    Unfortunately the hippie era was not in the cards for me, I was changing diapers and moving in Military dependent life style.

You know when your a kid, and the draft is taking family and friends, they come home in a box and the towns people accuse your departed as a baby killer-----What is one to think.?

Very complex times, and easy to see how people dived into Pot to relive their confusion.

Long time ago, almost 2 generations have passed. Now the times come back to haunt us are we are now grandparents watching as Johnny goes marching off to WAR.

These idiots were out there celebrating, partying, and living it up (if one could really say that) while our Soldiers and Marines were dying by the hundreds. I believe in every right to protest the Government, but when these 'tards protested our Solders that had no choice but to go, they went too far. I still recall my first six months in the Navy back in 1975. A bus trip back to Texas from Memphis showed me just how moronic these people were/ are. A slick sleeved Sailor, no medals or ribbons, was spat upon and called a "baby killer" by some 'tard female at a bus station. That Sailor was me and that was AFTER the Viet Nam war was officially over.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »
These idiots were out there celebrating, partying, and living it up (if one could really say that) while our Soldiers and Marines were dying by the hundreds. I believe in every right to protest the Government, but when these 'tards protested our Solders that had no choice but to go, they went too far. I still recall my first six months in the Navy back in 1975. A bus trip back to Texas from Memphis showed me just how moronic these people were/ are. A slick sleeved Sailor, no medals or ribbons, was spat upon and called a "baby killer" by some 'tard female at a bus station. That Sailor was me and that was AFTER the Viet Nam war was officially over.

Sorry Thor, I could never understand why the government didn't hit back with their own propaganda.

We dependents would take picknick lunches and head for San Francisco, just to watch the police and the hippies clash.   Was fun watching them run like heck from the tear gas until the day the wind shifted and we onlookers got a dose of it.

Distinct classes of people back then, Buffalo Springfield ringing in our head, we knew the kids would grow up and become more conservative then we were. These crazies became our doctors and lawyers, our business owners and politions----Now they watch as their Johnny goes to war.    Their brothers and fathers were called Baby Killers, now their grandkids are HEROS as it should have been back then.

Saw [ Hair ] on Brodway in 1970, cried all through the production, then left the theater with Hubby and was darn glad he was not in uniform.  We could have gotten our butts kicked------Those were the days my friend.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 02:10:35 PM »
I'm going to Heros of Woodstock this month. The venue is near San Jose and should be rather interesting to watch..........from backstage.  :cheersmate:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 02:39:45 PM »
I'm going to Heros of Woodstock this month. The venue is near San Jose and should be rather interesting to watch..........from backstage.  :cheersmate:

Don't take the brown acid, ------Alert------

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 11:07:48 AM »

Just was there to see Steve Miller....Mountain Winery in Saratoga is a great place.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 02:46:23 PM »
I should have some great pics, but I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to post any. My wife is the webmaster for BBHC, so we get in for free, and she's kinda like Sam Andrew's/the band photographer(the reason for "allowance" on the pics). Wer'e not sure once we get there if we can leave or not, (IE dinner/we will be there around 2-ish but will probably stay till the end, midnight or so, and I'm not sure about the re-entry privilages), but it should be a blast being able to see behind the scenes with all the bands that'll be there.

Zath, ya I've heard that it's really nice.   :cheersmate:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »
I should have some great pics, but I'm not sure if I'll be allowed to post any. My wife is the webmaster for BBHC, so we get in for free, and she's kinda like Sam Andrew's/the band photographer(the reason for "allowance" on the pics). Wer'e not sure once we get there if we can leave or not, (IE dinner/we will be there around 2-ish but will probably stay till the end, midnight or so, and I'm not sure about the re-entry privilages), but it should be a blast being able to see behind the scenes with all the bands that'll be there.

Zath, ya I've heard that it's really nice.   :cheersmate:

There are places to eat there, pricy but pretty good. Also Saratoga does have a noise ordinance that will force a shutdown of music playing at 10:30pm....hell, they shutdown the Steve Miller concert right in the middle of "Jet Airliner" during his encore....damnest thing I ever saw.