Author Topic: In New Orleans, no shelter for those who stay  (Read 862 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
In New Orleans, no shelter for those who stay
« on: August 30, 2008, 02:12:04 PM »
In New Orleans, no shelter for those who stay
NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Police with bullhorns plan to go street to street this weekend with a tough message about getting out ahead of Hurricane Gustav: This time there will be no shelter of last resort. The doors to the Superdome will be locked. Those who stay will be on their own.

New forecasts Friday made it increasingly clear that New Orleans will get some kind of hit - direct or indirect - by early next week. That raised the likelihood people would have to flee, and the city suggested a full-scale evacuation call could come as soon as Sunday.

Those among New Orleans' estimated 310,000 to 340,000 residents who ignore orders to leave accept "all responsibility for themselves and their loved ones," the city's emergency preparedness director, Jerry Sneed, has warned.

(more...)

<<Insert Your Favorite No Seriously If You Live In New Orleans Get The **** Out This Time Because You Have Ample Warning Again So Next Week I Don't Want To Hear You Crying "Where The Govmint At" And Looking For Somebody To Come Haul Your Ignorant Asses Out Again Joke Here.>>

Wow.  $7 million dollars for 700 buses.  What about those school buses we saw last time?  Oh... wait.  Nevermind.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
Re: In New Orleans, no shelter for those who stay
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »
They have told us that for years in Fla. Something to the effect. If you stay let somebody know who to contact, next of kin.

As Katrina approached in 2005, as many as 30,000 people who either could not or would not evacuate jammed the Louisiana Superdome and the riverfront convention center. They spent days waiting for rescue in squalid conditions. Some died

think about rescuing 30,000 people.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 07:52:18 PM »
They have told us that for years in Fla. Something to the effect. If you stay let somebody know who to contact, next of kin.

As Katrina approached in 2005, as many as 30,000 people who either could not or would not evacuate jammed the Louisiana Superdome and the riverfront convention center. They spent days waiting for rescue in squalid conditions. Some died

think about rescuing 30,000 people.

Think about rescuing 30,000 people in areas where the roads are under water, covered with storm debris, or completely gone...and where the first-arriving assistance was also flooded out, so ended up on overpasses waiting for rescue alongside everyone else.  My former co-worker's husband spent 3 days on an overpass with a rest of his FEMA crew and the stuff in the half-dozen backpacks they managed to grab before running from the flood in their tallest Army truck.  They lost everything else.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 08:09:59 PM »
After the travesty that was the multi-billion dollar giveaway after Hurricane Katrina, I can see some greedy idiots deciding to stay.  Dollar signs are dancing in their heads....and why not?  It was a fact once.  They only have their lives to lose trying again.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 08:11:51 PM »
After the travesty that was the multi-billion dollar giveaway after Hurricane Katrina, I can see some greedy idiots deciding to stay.  Dollar signs are dancing in their heads....and why not?  It was a fact once.  They only have their lives to lose trying again.

I bet all the looters stay. Last time they made off with an entire Cadillac dealership! That was part of what hampered rescue efforts iirc was the widespread looting and gangs of thugs roaming around with ak47's. It must have been a nightmare.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 08:18:40 PM »

I bet all the looters stay. Last time they made off with an entire Cadillac dealership! That was part of what hampered rescue efforts iirc was the widespread looting and gangs of thugs roaming around with ak47's. It must have been a nightmare.

If the weather plays out exactly like it did three years ago, and if the levees break, I do not see the possibilty of a replay of events regardless of how much the liberals are hoping for chaos, death, lawlessness, hopelessness, and despair.  There are one or two grown-ups in the picture this time.  These folks have already been told to leave or suck on it.  I like that.  Plus, I think there will be shoot-to-kill orders, as there damn well needs to be.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 11:19:39 PM »
No joy in Chocolate Town tonight.