Author Topic: My conversation at Publix today:  (Read 7059 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
My conversation at Publix today:
« on: January 18, 2008, 06:39:49 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2715551

As I approached the check-out line, the person in front of me was having a conversation with the cashier:

Shopper (Sh): I would never vote for Clinton or Obama

Cashier: I'm not sure

Nosey Me (NM): Who do you like, then?

Sh: Rudy

NM: Oh! Do you mind if I ask why?

Sh: He says he'll lower my taxes.

NM: Well, what services do you feel we can do without?

Sh: Huh??

NM: Well, we've had lots of tax cuts in recent years, and as a result, our infrastructure is falling apart, roads, bridges, parks, schools, teachers, police officers, fire fighters, medical care for veterans, the government... all can't endure more cuts - when we can't afford a couple of those things on my list, will you offer to pay for some of it with your extra $$$ from your tax cuts??

Sh: I never thought of it like that.

NM: Well, think of the United States as the greatest country club in the world. Because everyone pays their dues. If you keep lowering the dues every year, eventually, the services are scaled back and the grounds look awful. I would rather pay my dues. Taxes are not dirty, they are for a reason.

Sh: Wow. So... who are you going to vote for?

NM: Don't know yet, but it will Clinton or Obama before anyone with an R after their name!

Sh: You're really smart. And you're a Democrat, huh. Maybe I'll vote for one this time.

The cashier smiled at me.
Funny, I was in Publix earlier and didn't hear any political talk. I'll give it a 2 on the Bouncy scale, for total lameness.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:42:03 PM by darkangel82 »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DaSaintFan

Re: My conversation at Publix today:
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 06:42:18 PM »
it should have at least been in a garden center or something, so that they'd have some bushes for someone to jump out from behind...

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 06:48:32 PM »
There is not a rational soul in the universe that would buy this dialog..You're really smart. And you're a Democrat, huh. Maybe I'll vote for one this time..... give me a effin break. ::)

Of course all the DUmmies are lapping it up. :lmao:

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 06:53:38 PM »
NM: Don't know yet, but it will Clinton or Obama before anyone with an R after their name!

Sh: You're really smart. And you're a Democrat, huh. Maybe I'll vote for one this time.

The cashier smiled at me.  Just for a moment I was back at DU, and felt that old familiar refrain, and as I turned to make my way back home
the snow turned into rain.

:bouncy: :bs2flag: :bouncy:

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 07:17:37 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2715551

As I approached the check-out line, the person in front of me was having a conversation with the cashier:

Shopper (Sh): I would never vote for Clinton or Obama

Cashier: I'm not sure

Nosey Me (NM): Who do you like, then?

Sh: Rudy

NM: Oh! Do you mind if I ask why?

Sh: He says he'll lower my taxes.

NM: Well, what services do you feel we can do without?

Sh: Huh??

NM: Well, we've had lots of tax cuts in recent years, and as a result, our infrastructure is falling apart, roads, bridges, parks, schools, teachers, police officers, fire fighters, medical care for veterans, the government... all can't endure more cuts - when we can't afford a couple of those things on my list, will you offer to pay for some of it with your extra $$$ from your tax cuts??

Sh: I never thought of it like that.

NM: Well, think of the United States as the greatest country club in the world. Because everyone pays their dues. If you keep lowering the dues every year, eventually, the services are scaled back and the grounds look awful. I would rather pay my dues. Taxes are not dirty, they are for a reason.

Sh: Wow. So... who are you going to vote for?

The cashier smiled at me.
Funny, I was in Publix earlier and didn't hear any political talk. I'll give it a 2 on the Bouncy scale, for total lameness.

Does anyone over there buy this crap anymore? :lame: :lame: :lame:
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
That was without a doubt the biggest bunch of BULLSHITI have read today.....give me a break.... :censored:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 07:21:27 PM »
I don't. The Bouncy tales all end the same way, with the "conversion" of the supposed "republican".
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 08:23:12 PM »
Sh: You're really smart. And you're a Democrat, huh.
  :mental:
If DUmmies didn't make crapola like this up, they would never win ANY arguments!

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 08:33:59 PM »
1 on the bouncy scale.

Totally lame.

Bouncies used to be more creative.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 08:36:53 PM »

For some reason I think SH really said You're one of those smart ass democrats.

Also why didn't the DUer correct him and say it's the democratic party not democrat.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 08:38:08 PM »
Teachers are falling apart? In my berg they make on average about 50k. Some of the nicest cars in this area sit in that elementary school parking lot.

Here in OH we have potholes every year. Winter, salt, etc are hell on roads. They get fixed in due time.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 09:38:37 PM »
There is not a rational soul in the universe that would buy this dialog..You're really smart. And you're a Democrat, huh. Maybe I'll vote for one this time..... give me a effin break. ::)

Of course all the DUmmies are lapping it up. :lmao:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I am seriously laughing at this, because I was thinking the same thing  :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I give this one a -2 LMAO.

The DUmmies like to imagine us being as dumb as a box of rocks when in reality, it is the other way around.

And who in the hell would just out and out start talking about something like this to complete strangers. They really need to try MUCH harder.

We ALL know that people don't just change their minds on something as personal as political and/or religious beliefs.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 09:40:50 PM »
 :banghead:    That wuz HORRIBLE!  No one would ever call a DUmmie SMART!!!!!   :thatsright:

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
Teachers are falling apart? In my berg they make on average about 50k. Some of the nicest cars in this area sit in that elementary school parking lot.

Here in OH we have potholes every year. Winter, salt, etc are hell on roads. They get fixed in due time.

Same here with the teachers' pay and the cars they drive (BMS and the like). And last I checked, all those things the DUmmie mentions are paid with by STATE taxes, not federal.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 09:59:18 PM »

Same here with the teachers' pay and the cars they drive (BMS and the like). And last I checked, all those things the DUmmie mentions are paid with by STATE taxes, not federal.

That's what I was thinking too. If the feds did pay it, I'd be wondering why we have it come on our LOCAL ballot nearly every year.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 10:12:35 PM »

That's what I was thinking too. If the feds did pay it, I'd be wondering why we have it come on our LOCAL ballot nearly every year.

Alas, the Real Dipshit triumphs, NM!

Barack Obama

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 10:28:16 PM »

Alas, the Real Dipshit triumphs, NM!

You are forgetting that federal money does control the schools.  It has for years.  Your local school bond elections and such are based on federal education dollars due the state, which in turn doles it out to the districts.  How do you think forced bussing was enforced?  No cooperation, no federal dollars.  The Department of Education doesn't exist in Washington just to send encouragement and attaboys to your local schools.

Most of the problems in this nation can be traced to the fact we send most of our tax money directly to Washington so they can turn around and reward those who follow Washington's rules. 

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 10:38:26 PM »
Hm, I thought that the bulk of what public schools get comes from local  property taxes, and the same thing for our roads, police officers, and all the rest that the DUmmie used in their example.

Barack Obama

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 10:49:15 PM »
Hm, I thought that the bulk of what public schools get comes from local  property taxes, and the same thing for our roads, police officers, and all the rest that the DUmmie used in their example.

"Bulk" isn't really the operative word when speaking of federal education dollars.  A better word is "Chunk".  You local budget depends on your local tax dollars, for sure, but the rest of the budget is based on state and federal money.  The state education budget is also based on receiving a chuck of federal money.  It isn't nearly as local as we like to think.   

You and I are paying the same amount either way, so we should be upset with the arrangement as is.  It's like you sending half your money to your mother-in-law each week and then her sending it back to you in the form of specific vouchers so you can buy what she wants you to have.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 11:16:31 PM »
ive been in grocery stores every week of my life for the past 26 years that ive been an adult.. ive never heard any conversations like that.

i hear about weather, kids, products  .. superficial stuff. people in the south would boo you out of the store for acting like that.

the cashier doesnt want to hear it..

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 11:53:56 PM »
1 on the bouncy scale.

Totally lame.

Skinner needs to hire some better writers for DU, the Bouncy stories just ain't what they used to be.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 11:56:57 PM »
1 on the bouncy scale.

Totally lame.

Skinner needs to hire some better writers for DU, the Bouncy stories just ain't what they used to be.

Well there are a bunch of Writers in Hollyweird who are not doing anything right now. Maybe $kinner could strike a deal with them.
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 11:58:43 PM »
LOL!! Good idea.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 09:20:26 AM »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 09:29:41 AM »

You and I are paying the same amount either way, so we should be upset with the arrangement as is.  It's like you sending half your money to your mother-in-law each week and then her sending it back to you in the form of specific vouchers so you can buy what she wants you to have.

Oh, I am upset about the way it all works, but  I honestly thought that most of what goes toward the public schools came from our property taxes (75% to be exact), and that was about 95% of what the public schools got. That is why I thought that the DUmmie using schools and teachers as an example of what our federal tax dollars go towards was kind of lame. The same with the rest of her examples.

That's a good analogy of it too, because it would piss me off just as much if my MIL got my money then "gave it back", but with the strings attached of telling me how to spend it  :evillaugh:

And, on a local, property tax "level", my next door neighbors are also having 75% of their property taxes going to the government school system, albeit they don't have any school-aged children.

Barack Obama