Author Topic: New motorcycle project  (Read 4036 times)

Offline Hathcock

New motorcycle project
« on: January 22, 2014, 12:30:07 PM »
I've been on a café racer kick for a little while now, I'm finally taking the plunge. I'm picking up an 1982 Virago 920 on Sunday, I traded an old engine for it so Initially I have very little into it. I prefer the early viragos because of the mono-shock rear suspension. So far I'm looking at upgrading the suspension with Yamaha R6 forks and read adjustable coil over shock. using a Benelli tank with a custom subframe.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes: if you **** with me, I'll kill you all! - USMC General James Mattis.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
Re: New motorcycle project
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:34:57 PM »
Nice !
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Hathcock

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
Thanks, I hope it goes smoothly. I'll keep updating as I go.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes: if you **** with me, I'll kill you all! - USMC General James Mattis.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:06:39 PM »
Good, there's been a shortage of organ donors lately.

Kidding aside, enjoy the build.  Looks like a fun project.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 01:21:17 PM »
I hope it goes smoothly.
Ha! :-)

Good luck.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 01:55:25 PM »
Road grader to a road carver..........................should be interesting.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 02:09:48 PM »
not my cuppa tea, but good luck.

This is more my taste:

my new baby I pick up on Friday...

Rigid-mount, 1584cc Twin Cam 96B balanced engine 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission Silver powdercoated engine with Satin Stainless Metallic powdercoat covers Chrome Shorty Dual exhaust with new slash bend Finned cast-aluminum, horseshoe oil tank 240mm-18 rear / 90mm-19 front tire Satin Stainless Metallic powdercoat Cast Aluminum Tapered Five Spoke 19-inch front/18-inch rear wheels Stretched fuel tank with recessed medallion Solo saddle V-Bar handlebars on five-inch curved risers Console-mounted Speed Shop speedometer Satin Stainless Metallic powdercoat fork lowers, oil tank, headlamp bucket, swingarm and other components Integrated LED rear turn indicators/tail/brake lamps Color-matched frame

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 03:35:19 PM »
I had a Honda 500 turbo, followed by a Honda VFR 500 Interceptor.
I baby sat a Honda VFR 1000 for a week when a coworker went on vacation.
How I managed to be in one piece after all that I shall never know.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 04:28:57 PM »
Had a 1983 Yamaha Seca 900. I know for a fact that when the conditions were correct, It could hit 10,500-11,000 RPM in 5th gear, well past redline. The speedo said 150 mph.............. :hyper:

Funny, advertised was 125 mph............. O-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 08:09:00 AM »
How's the bike project going?

It's cold as balls here and I am really feeling the need to ride. I got my new bike last friday- had the trailer it home as we had gusts of wind up to 50 mph. Went out Saturady for a short ride. The weather was about 50* but we still ahd 30 mph winds out on the highway.

I did get half the garage cleaned out, so that's a plus. The other half will have to wait til it warms up. Need to get my tool board mounted on the wall so my workbench is less cluttered.

Maybe I should fix up the garage to be heated...

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »
Put the FXWG up on the table today, go thru it and make sure it is still tight and safe for the up coming season.

Been looking for a project bike..

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 03:21:11 AM »
not my cuppa tea, but good luck.

This is more my taste:

my new baby I pick up on Friday...

Rigid-mount, 1584cc Twin Cam 96B balanced engine 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission Silver powdercoated engine with Satin Stainless Metallic powdercoat covers Chrome Shorty Dual exhaust with new slash bend Finned cast-aluminum, horseshoe oil tank 240mm-18 rear / 90mm-19 front tire Satin Stainless Metallic powdercoat Cast Aluminum Tapered Five Spoke 19-inch front/18-inch rear wheels Stretched fuel tank with recessed medallion Solo saddle V-Bar handlebars on five-inch curved risers Console-mounted Speed Shop speedometer Satin Stainless Metallic powdercoat fork lowers, oil tank, headlamp bucket, swingarm and other components Integrated LED rear turn indicators/tail/brake lamps Color-matched frame

BS for buying a nice bike

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 07:32:32 AM »
BS for buying a nice bike

[youtube=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFNLbAs3KAU[/youtube]

:-)

Offline Hathcock

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »
The bike is stripped down, I'm creating my parts list and designing a rear subframe for it now. I'll try to get some pics posted in the next day or so.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
Any updates? I took mine out for a ride today!