Author Topic: Stewart granted release from JGR  (Read 1670 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
Stewart granted release from JGR
« on: July 09, 2008, 01:38:39 PM »
Not unexpected, since Tony Stewart's had an offer out since April to purchase a majority stake of the Haas-CNC team.

Stewart granted release from JGR

Updated: July 9, 2008, 12:54 PM EST

Joe Gibbs Racing will release Tony Stewart from his contract at the end of the season, ending an incredibly successful decade in which they won two championships and turned the organization into one of NASCAR's best.

Stewart's departure opens the door for him to buy a NASCAR team, and he called a Thursday new conference at Chicagoland Speedway to discuss his future plans. He's expected to announce he's purchased majority ownership in the fledgling Haas-CNC two-car team.

"While this moment is bittersweet, we're parting on good terms and we know that each of us has benefited greatly from the other," Gibbs said in the statement.

Stewart's departure opens the door for him to buy a NASCAR team. He's had an offer since April to purchase the fledgling Haas-CNC two-car team.

I had heard that his Toyota contract had a clause that still allowed him to do promotional appearances for Chevrolet.  I guess the new team will drive Monte Carlos, then.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/8327232/Stewart-granted-release-from-JGR
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Jim

Re: Stewart granted release from JGR
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:58:44 PM »
Yes, Haas runs Chevys.

I think Hendrick should have gone after him instead of Martin.  But I think he really wanted to be an owner.  Too bad as he'll be hard pressed to have success in his new gig.  There are only so many top flight guys.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 06:17:32 PM »
Yes, Haas runs Chevys.

I think Hendrick should have gone after him instead of Martin.  But I think he really wanted to be an owner.  Too bad as he'll be hard pressed to have success in his new gig.  There are only so many top flight guys.

Jim, I think that with his rep, he'll attract sponsorship in no time.  He'll also attract good crew/support guys for the same reason.  It may take a year or two, but he'll do it.  I couldn't see Stewart, Gordon, and Earnhardt on the same team.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Jim

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:02:57 PM »
Yes, Haas runs Chevys.

Jim, I think that with his rep, he'll attract sponsorship in no time.  He'll also attract good crew/support guys for the same reason.  It may take a year or two, but he'll do it.  I couldn't see Stewart, Gordon, and Earnhardt on the same team.

Could be but Home Depot is staying put and high value sponsors are hard to land.

Don't forget, Its takes big cash to lure top drawer people away from where they're already successful.

Petty had money and prestige and where have they gone ?

I wish him well, always loved the way he races, a real throwback and I mean that in the best possible way.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.