Author Topic: NFL FA begins (Philly grabs Samuel)  (Read 27022 times)

Offline john c calhoun

Re: NFL FA begins (Philly grabs Samuel)
« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2008, 03:35:19 PM »
Here is a model of Dallas' new uniforms.

Also available with Bengal stripes.  :bawl:

LOL

bwahahahahahahaaa....

thats about right :lmao:

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #126 on: April 24, 2008, 03:51:18 PM »
hey rebel yell,

you mean like the consistency drew brees gave the Saints these last two years  ...   :uhsure:

drew brees was dead last in the NFL until mid season last year....

but one thing he was consistent about was, CHOKING in the playoffs (got slaughtered by the Bears & Broncos in both playoff performances) ..

just let it go man !!! ....brees & LT are gone man.....let it go !!!  :lmao:

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2008, 03:51:52 PM »
Just don't like taking QB's that high in the draft, never have.  Always more risk than upside, for every Peyton Manning there are 3 Ryan Leafs.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2008, 03:56:08 PM »
Just don't like taking QB's that high in the draft, never have.  Always more risk than upside, for every Peyton Manning there are 3 Ryan Leafs.

ryan leaf played in the NFL for 9 years   ...

and  NOBODY ever got the special treatment peyton womanning got...

I dare say there is only one peyton manning & nobody compares to him (not in a goodway either)....Brady came close at times as far as getting BULLSHIT calls, but that dried up 5 years ...

if womanning played for the sorry assed chargers during their transition years like ryan leaf & if womanning didn't get all the easy schedules & bullshit calls from the refs, he could've very easily turned out like ryan leaf...

plus you had an entire organization that bent over for manning & neglected the rest of the team for 7 years ...thats not exactly common...

joe montana, john elway, troy aikman , both mannings, jim kelly & dan marino were all 1st rounders,  weren't they ??

thats 20 superbowls  right there...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 03:59:09 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2008, 03:57:53 PM »
Just don't like taking QB's that high in the draft, never have.  Always more risk than upside, for every Peyton Manning there are 3 Ryan Leafs.

I dare say there is only one peyton manning & nobody compares to him (not in a goodway either)....Brady came close at times as far as getting BULLSHIT calls, but that dried up 5 years ...

if womanning played for the sorry assed chargers during their transition years like ryan leaf & if womanning didn't get all the easy schedules & bullshit calls from the refs, he could've very easily turned out like ryan leaf...

plus you had an entire organization that bent over for manning & neglected the rest of the team for 7 years ...thats not exactly common...
OK, for every Dan Marino, there are three Heath Shulers.  I should have known better then to go Manning with you. :banghead: :lmao:
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2008, 03:59:44 PM »

OK, for every Dan Marino, there are three Heath Shulers.  I should have known better then to go Manning with you. :banghead: :lmao:

joe montana, john elway, troy aikman , both mannings, jim kelly & dan marino were all 1st rounders,  weren't they ??

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2008, 04:49:56 PM »

Aikman, P. Manning, Elway and I'd add Terry Bradshaw (4 more SB's btw) all went number one overall. (but plenty of David Carr's and Tim Couch's too)
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #132 on: April 25, 2008, 07:57:15 AM »

Joe Montana?  I really expected better of you. 

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #133 on: April 25, 2008, 08:41:45 AM »

Joe Montana?  I really expected better of you. 

bwahahahaha :lmao: ....

ok 30 superbowls for 1st rounders out of the last 35 eh ?  :-) ....  (added  steve young,  ben roethlisberger, drew bledsoe, kerry collins, steve mcnair, trent diler,  D mcnabb, jim plunket, wrex grossman & jim mcmahon) emboldened QB's won their SB's...

not too shabby for 1st round draft picks ??

plus joe montana was a STAR when he was allowed to slide down to the 3rd round....I remember hearing about & watching the famous notre dame QB  24-7 his senior year ...

so basically, 1st round draft picks have these two qualities:

1. celebrity status
2. 80% chance or more of getting your team to a superbowl ...

drew brees a 1st round pick ?? ... no SB's for him....we'll have to add him to the heath shuler/ryan leaf category eh ? :lmao:

but one thing is for sure, is that its hard to build a DYNASTY around a 1st round pick, because that 1st rounder just costs you too much money ...therefore, aside from the impoverished days of the NFL when bradshaw won 4 SBs, both Tom Bradys 6th round ass  & Montana 3rd round, definitly provided enough wiggle room for coaches to pay the other 51 players & stock that team to the gills...

« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 10:11:03 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2008, 09:29:03 AM »
Fins get Fasano & Adoyele from Dallas !!

wow, watch out for this fins team man !!

adoyele was the boys starting weakside LB these past 2 years & Fasano is prolly as good as jason whitten at TE...

cowboys just made a dumb mistake....

1. making zach thomas their starter while dumping their YOUNGER starter

2. dumping Fasano

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2008, 03:08:04 PM »

adoyele was the boys starting weakside LB these past 2 years & Fasano is prolly as good as jason whitten at TE...

2. dumping Fasano

BS.  First, Ayodele was an inside 'backer and we've got plenty of linebackers anyway.  It opens up a spot for Carpenter to step up (if he ever does).  Second, saying that Fasano is just as good as Witten is like saying that Aaron Rodgers is just as good as Brett Favre.  Fasano may be good, but he's nowhere near Witten.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2008, 08:53:04 AM »

2. dumping Fasano

BS.  First, Ayodele was an inside 'backer and we've got plenty of linebackers anyway.  It opens up a spot for Carpenter to step up (if he ever does).  Second, saying that Fasano is just as good as Witten is like saying that Aaron Rodgers is just as good as Brett Favre.  Fasano may be good, but he's nowhere near Witten.

yeah, just like kevin boss wasn't anywhere near Jeremy Shockey  ....(ie: the week after shockey is lost for the season, the Giants went on a rampage & won nearly every game the rest of the year & the SB)

the Fins made out on this deal & I'd say the Wade Phillips & uncontested Jerry Jones era has officially begun (parcels & johnson kept JJ in line, wade won't)....

looking at the boys WASTE of 1st round draft picks & other offseason shenannigans, I'd say this will be the boys last year of being taken serious.....

adios cowboys...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 09:25:47 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2008, 03:32:32 PM »

2. dumping Fasano

yeah, just like kevin boss wasn't anywhere near Jeremy Shockey  ....(ie: the week after shockey is lost for the season, the Giants went on a rampage & won nearly every game the rest of the year & the SB)

the Fins made out on this deal & I'd say the Wade Phillips & uncontested Jerry Jones era has officially begun (parcels & johnson kept JJ in line, wade won't)....

looking at the boys WASTE of 1st round draft picks & other offseason shenannigans, I'd say this will be the boys last year of being taken serious.....

adios cowboys...

Waste of first round picks?  They made out like bandits!  I would have preferred that they waited to take Jammal Charles, but they got a guy who, despite backing up McFadden, had 3,000 carer rushing yards.  He was made for the two back system, and he's the perfect counterbalance to Barber.  In fact, they got great players with all of their first four picks.  Even if one of them was an Aggie.
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2008, 03:58:03 PM »

2. dumping Fasano

adios cowboys...

Waste of first round picks?  They made out like bandits!  I would have preferred that they waited to take Jammal Charles, but they got a guy who, despite backing up McFadden, had 3,000 carer rushing yards.  He was made for the two back system, and he's the perfect counterbalance to Barber.  In fact, they got great players with all of their first four picks.  Even if one of them was an Aggie.

felix jones will possibly be an effective  kick returner   ...??  but I don't think he'll be as effective you think... the key to returning kicks is having NO FEAR ....felix jones entire career in college was made running east to west in open space...  (which doesn't exist in the NFL)

felix jones is reggie bush lite & now he'll have too much to lose to risk his ass returning kicks at 200% .. (since JJ took him as his #1 pick) ...

will running east to west work in the NFL ?? .... especially on kick returns ??

neither one of  those guys were good first round picks.....especially when you still have mendenhall  & charles available....  (many others too)

the cowboys still do not have a  pure north /south thumper w/ the ability to take it to the house.....marion barber also likes to run the ball outside & he fumbled ALOT w/ all that 2nd effort last year... I don't think barber will be that great of a 'featured back', because he will wear down  & take too many chances fighting for extra yards & cough up the ball ...

I think your running game will have the same problems it had last year.....

and I know your defense will even have more problems this year ...you got NO ANCHORS on that 3-4 dline

jerry jones should've traded up for Mcfadden if he was really looking for a two back system & then just picked up a corner in the 2nd round... or better yet, they should've traded up for Glenn Dorsey or Sedrick Ellis & picked up a RB in the 2nd round ... when you have 2 1st rounders, the world is your oyster & I don't see the cowboys ANYWHERE near the level the chiefs just got in their 4 best picks.. (dorsey, albert, flowers & charles)

and you have PACMAN too ....hell...how many cornerbacks do you need ??
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 04:10:41 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2008, 04:17:01 PM »
Well, I don't think we'll have the same problems with the running game this year, because now he's up in Seattle. :lmao:

That being said, we could afford to gamble on these selections because we didn't have any gaping holes.  I'll admit that I know absolutely nothing about Felix Jones (because from the moment we traded for that Cleveland pick, the talk about the Cowboys has revolved around the other Arkansas running back), but Jerry Jones does know something about him, and that's hopefully enough.

As for having cornerbacks, two things.  First, we don't even have Pac-Man yet.  We don't know whether he'll be reinstated or not.  Second, remember that our starters are aging (Henry's over 30 and Newman soon will be) and they didn't play together that much last year.  If Pac-Man gets reinstated and Jenkins pans out, the Cowboys will be set at that position for quite a while.

Martin Luther

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2008, 04:30:10 PM »
Well, I don't think we'll have the same problems with the running game this year, because now he's up in Seattle. :lmao:

That being said, we could afford to gamble on these selections because we didn't have any gaping holes.  I'll admit that I know absolutely nothing about Felix Jones (because from the moment we traded for that Cleveland pick, the talk about the Cowboys has revolved around the other Arkansas running back), but Jerry Jones does know something about him, and that's hopefully enough.

As for having cornerbacks, two things.  First, we don't even have Pac-Man yet.  We don't know whether he'll be reinstated or not.  Second, remember that our starters are aging (Henry's over 30 and Newman soon will be) and they didn't play together that much last year.  If Pac-Man gets reinstated and Jenkins pans out, the Cowboys will be set at that position for quite a while.

felix jones is prolly a 3rd round pick....Jerry Jones just pulled a chicago bears (ie: cedric benson) .... you tell me how many defenses in college  had enough mustard to stop him after having to try n stop darren mcfadden most the game ?? and obviously arkansas had themselves a monsterous & talented Oline, because both those guys ran at will ....(that won't be the case in the NFL )

and yes, you do have a few MAJOR holes that cost you a SB ...

#1 - BEEF on your Dline
#2 - north/ south running back w/ big play threat
#3- WR

your most pressing problem wasn't cornerback ...but yes, you needed a couple , but pacman jones is a BAD idea ....at best,  mike jenkins will be a nickel back next year & at least 5 other CB's still available could've done that too....

yeah roy williams gets suckered on the long ball, but whats knew?? ....he always has & I doubt, unless you pulled a F/A move, that you're gonna draft a safety that would be good enough to replace right now anyway...

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2008, 04:44:38 PM »

felix jones is prolly a 3rd round pick....Jerry Jones just pulled a chicago bears (ie: cedric benson) .... you tell me how many defenses in college  had enough mustard to stop him after having to try n stop darren mcfadden most the game ?? and obviously arkansas had themselves a monsterous & talented Oline, because both those guys ran at will ....(that won't be the case in the NFL )

#1 - BEEF on your Dline
#3- WR

your most pressing problem wasn't cornerback ...but yes, you needed a couple , but pacman jones is a BAD idea ....at best,  mike jenkins will be a nickel back next year & at least 5 other CB's still available could've done that too....

yeah roy williams gets suckered on the long ball, but whats knew?? ....he always has & I doubt, unless you pulled a F/A move, that you're gonna draft a safety that would be good enough to replace right now anyway...

I won't argue with you that there are some needs that weren't met.  I thought particularly that we missed out on getting a true 3-4 DT, but I think that a good rotation at that position helps. 

As for WR, I agree with you.  The story they're giving on DC.com is that JJ sat down with the staff and basically decided that the status quo was the best route because they didn't feel that there was another receiver in the draft or via trade (no team wanted to trade) that would complement TO.  This is a 34 year old guy coming up on a contract year.  He won't be here forever.  I can only hope that they've really got something with Isaiah Stanback.

Martin Luther

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2008, 09:43:50 AM »

#1 - BEEF on your Dline
#3- WR

I won't argue with you that there are some needs that weren't met.  I thought particularly that we missed out on getting a true 3-4 DT, but I think that a good rotation at that position helps. 

As for WR, I agree with you.  The story they're giving on DC.com is that JJ sat down with the staff and basically decided that the status quo was the best route because they didn't feel that there was another receiver in the draft or via trade (no team wanted to trade) that would complement TO.  This is a 34 year old guy coming up on a contract year.  He won't be here forever.  I can only hope that they've really got something with Isaiah Stanback.

you can't win in the playoffs as a 3-4 defense, if you don't have a true  315lb plus nosetackle, w/ athleticism   ....the cowboys are trying to compensate for lacking what they really need, by bringing in untested rookie cornerbacks, who will be required to man up while having little or no help from the safeties (ie: roy williams :lmao:) ...  this is a disaster waiting to happen, especially since alot of Parcels guys have left ...

dorsey may have been that guy if he could handle another 10-15lbs on him

maybe wade is gonna switch back to a 4-3 &/or play buddy ball, but either way it will be sloppy for awhile....

but IMO, there defense is what really needed help....christ, wasn't their offense the #2 highest scoring in the NFL last year ?? ....didn't they bulldoze the Giants defense for 1/2 the game in the playoffs last year ?? ... so they could run already...

I think the boys just pissed away their superbowl chances w/ this draft .... but who knows, maybe felix jones will step in from nowhere like thurman thomas, curtis martin, westbrook & be a real game changer (neither won a superbowl either :tongue:) ....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 10:22:00 AM by john c calhoun »

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2008, 10:31:01 AM »
by the way, whats up w/ some of these teams going ga ga over cornerbacks these days??

heres the reality:

#1- all the teams that gave away everything for cornerbacks, have DONE NOTHING these past few years...

- 49ers
   - Broncos
   - Packers spent alot on woodson & harris, but did have good success w/ them (cept when it really counted as all harris got OWNED  by burress & woodson got steam rolled by jacobs)
   -eagles will soon follow
   -saints paid alot for jason david & mis-used him into failure

#2- the two teams that were in the SB last year, kept 'cornerback' at the bottom of their to do list ... assante samuel was a 4th round pick for the Pats & the giants 2ndary just flatout sucked

yet, teams like the cowboys & eagles are following a mold that has yet to be proven a winner (spending either top picks &/or  overspending on a CB) ....

the ONLY team I can think of that went out of  their way to get a CB & have it pay off, was the 49ers when they grabbed deion sanders..... but that was deion sanders....not a single one of these CB's today is anywhere near what deion was (cept maybe antonio cromartie) ...champ was 5 years ago, but no SB's yet...
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 12:42:38 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2008, 09:16:07 AM »
atlanta falcons just TRUMP all the other teams 'struggling' who seemingly made out better in the draft...

the falcons just hired the guy responsible for all the recruited talent tEh colts have had these past 10 years...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80816a43&template=with-video&confirm=true

falcons are definitly headed the right direction...