Author Topic: And they call us "Thug U"  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
And they call us "Thug U"
« on: August 18, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »
Anyone who knows Hurricane football knows that Coach Shannon will see to it that these numbers stay up there.

UM Football Excelling in the Classroom
Over half of UM's senior class has already earned degrees
Aug. 15, 2008

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - As the University of Miami football team continues its preparation for the 2008 season on the practice fields, the same student-athletes are getting ready for another semester in the classroom, a place where the Hurricanes have thrived in recent years.

In 14 of the last 16 years, the University of Miami football team's graduation rate far exceeded the national average of the American Football Coaches Association's member schools. Since 1991, UM's average AFCA rate is 71.52 percent, well ahead of the national average of 58 percent.

"We are in a profession that keeps score, and no score is more important than our graduation success rate," Director of Athletics Kirby Hocutt said. "The University of Miami is synonymous with champions and the young people in our program today are focused on becoming champions both in the classroom and in competition. I commend the young people currently in our program today and those in the past for their dedication and commitment to academic excellence."

This past spring, the NCAA released its annual Academic Progress Report (APR), with the Hurricane football team scoring a 969, the eighth-highest mark out of the 119 Bowl Sub-division football programs. Miami's score - also the third-highest mark in the 12-team Atlantic Coast Conference - puts the team in the 80th-90th percentile nationally based on its performance in the classroom.

Miami's APR score in 2008 was a slight improvement over its mark of 966 in 2007 when the team was ranked 10th nationally in academic success.

Of the 23 seniors on this year's squad, 13 have already earned degrees, while the remaining 10 are all on course to graduate either in December of 2008 or May of 2009.

The 13 players that have already earned degrees include: Carlos Armour (Sports Administration), Tyrone Byrd (Liberal Arts), Glenn Cook (Marketing and Business Management, Sports Management master's candidate), Romeo Davis (Liberal Arts), Dwayne Hendricks (Business Management), Khalil Jones (Sports Administration), Joe Joseph (Sports Administration), Eric Moncur (Liberal Arts), Anthony Reddick (Liberal Arts), Chris Rutledge (Liberal Arts), Xavier Shannon (Enrollment Management master's candidate), Derron Thomas (Sports Administration) and Chris Zellner (Geography).

Last season, Miami had 12 early graduates - the second-highest total nationally behind fellow ACC member Boston College and in 2006, Miami had an ACC-high eight players named to the All-ACC Academic Football Team.

Miami's fall semester begins Wednesday, Aug. 27, one day before the Hurricanes open the season against Charleston Southern at 7:30 p.m. at Dolphin Stadium.

Top 10 2008 Football Academic Progress Report Scores
(includes BCS, C-USA and independent schools)

1.    Stanford                    986

2.    Navy                          979

3t.   Duke                          977

Rutgers                     977

5.    Air Force                    976

6.    Rice                           975

7.    Boston College          972

8t.   Miami                       969

Northwestern           969

Notre Dame              969

2008 APR Rankings Among All D-I Football Programs in Florida

1.    Miami                      969

2.    Florida                      962

3.    Florida State             954

4.    UCF                           937

5.    USF                           917

6.    FAU                           915

7.    FIU                            887

http://hurricanesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081508aac.html
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: And they call us "Thug U"
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »

this didn't help, of course: 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djig29mgp9k[/youtube]

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 03:45:37 PM »
Let's see.  FIU is full of Miami area players passed over by Miami.  FIU players had benn running their mouths all goame long.  Miami goes to spanking that ass and FIU players mug the holder on an extra point.  Let me repeat that, BODY SLAMMED THE HOLDER.  From there all hell breaks loose and it's ALL Miami's fault in the news.  Even so, that would not have heppened under Randy Shannon.  I'll bet Miami's players have stricter rules in place than 95% of college football now.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
Dude--it's MIAMI.  If you can't graduate from there, you might as well ask if you want fries with that meal.

Try a REAL curriculum, like, say, GT, Notre Dame, or one of the serivce academies? 

I've used a lot of words to describe Miami.  Challenging was not one of them.  It's an east coast version of UNLV, aka Blackjack U.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 01:23:15 PM »
Miami is going to have a tough time in 2008.  They lost 5 of their front 7 on defense, a defense that gave up 1,200 yards over the last 3 games last year, but they did pick up Authur Brown who was a big prep pic.  They do return their top 2 rushers on offense.  If they can fininsh above .500 that will be a good year for them.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 02:00:54 PM »
Miami is going to have a tough time in 2008.  They lost 5 of their front 7 on defense, a defense that gave up 1,200 yards over the last 3 games last year, but they did pick up Authur Brown who was a big prep pic.  They do return their top 2 rushers on offense.  If they can fininsh above .500 that will be a good year for them.

The only player on defense that will be hard to replace will be Kenny Phillips.  Calais Campbell will not be missed.  Alan Bailey is a 280+lb. converted linebacker.  In other words a big ass strong athlete.  Anything will be an upgrade at QB.  We loaded up on linebackers and recievers.  Redshirt freshman QB Marve broke Tebow's state passing records.  Shannon is recruiting the hell out of south FL from winning programs.  Kids who know how to win, instead of the 5 star recruit who thinks he's owed the world.  We will finish 7-5 or possibly 8-4.  We will give Florida a hell of alot better game than they think.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:24:39 AM »
In the Florida - Miami game, for 3 quarters the Canes played a pretty good game, they just don't have the depth or experience as Florida.  Miami's defense is quick, and based upon that performance any games they win will be because of their D.  The offense still is going to take another year, maybe two, but minus injuries they'll definately improve over the course of the season.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 11:48:15 AM »
In the Florida - Miami game, for 3 quarters the Canes played a pretty good game, they just don't have the depth or experience as Florida.  Miami's defense is quick, and based upon that performance any games they win will be because of their D.  The offense still is going to take another year, maybe two, but minus injuries they'll definately improve over the course of the season.

I don't see why we couldn't win the ACC this year.  I mean, come on, it is the ACC.  Considering we have 14 freshmen on the two deep roster, I think the sky's the limit for this group.  Especially if we get another good recruiting class or two.  The foundation is set for another resurgence like we had coming off probation in the late 90's that led to the teams in the early 00's.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 12:11:36 PM »
I don't see why we couldn't win the ACC this year.  I mean, come on, it is the ACC.  Considering we have 14 freshmen on the two deep roster, I think the sky's the limit for this group.  Especially if we get another good recruiting class or two.  The foundation is set for another resurgence like we had coming off probation in the late 90's that led to the teams in the early 00's.

Anything's possible, and if the O was as good as the D then your case would be stronger, but they're not.  Also they aren't that deep.  FSU, Wake, and GT are going to be tough.  And then there's always injuries and a surprise team in there somewhere.  You intitially said 7-5 or 8-4, and given what I saw the 8-4 is more likely.

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 10:13:35 AM »

Anything's possible, and if the O was as good as the D then your case would be stronger, but they're not.  Also they aren't that deep.  FSU, Wake, and GT are going to be tough.  And then there's always injuries and a surprise team in there somewhere.  You intitially said 7-5 or 8-4, and given what I saw the 8-4 is more likely.

But only GT is in our division.  We do have to play FSU and Wake, but have them both at home.  I think the offense will get better as the season rolls on.  As Marve gets more comfortable with his recievers (and they stop dropping balls), the points will come.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2008, 06:33:15 PM »
Let's see.  FIU is full of Miami area players passed over by Miami.  FIU players had benn running their mouths all goame long.  Miami goes to spanking that ass and FIU players mug the holder on an extra point.  Let me repeat that, BODY SLAMMED THE HOLDER.  From there all hell breaks loose and it's ALL Miami's fault in the news. 

No excuse.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2008, 12:03:31 PM »
Let's see.  FIU is full of Miami area players passed over by Miami.  FIU players had benn running their mouths all goame long.  Miami goes to spanking that ass and FIU players mug the holder on an extra point.  Let me repeat that, BODY SLAMMED THE HOLDER.  From there all hell breaks loose and it's ALL Miami's fault in the news. 

No excuse.
And no real mention of the FiU players who started the whole thing. ::)

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2008, 03:20:23 PM »

No excuse.
And no real mention of the FiU players who started the whole thing. ::)

Again:  No Excuse.

There is no excuse for a player wielding a helmet like a hammer, there is no excuse for the behavior of the entire team, there is no excuse for what Miami did.

None.

Any attempt at pointing a finger at FIU is an attempt to excuse piss poor behavior of an entire athletic program that recruits from the gutter and then makes very tepid responses when they are forced to.  This type of thing is nothing new for Miami.  There should have been several players ejected from the program for their behavior that night but instead they got slapped on the wrist.

Whatever reputation Miami has, they've earned.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 01:18:53 PM »
... and given what I saw the 8-4 is more likely.

8-4 is looking less likely.  Maybe they'll finish above .500