Author Topic: Bourgeois Underground - Why Class Matters  (Read 760 times)

Offline lastparker

Bourgeois Underground - Why Class Matters
« on: November 11, 2009, 12:19:04 PM »
This is an amusing little bonfire.

Political Heretic  (1000+ posts)        Tue Nov-10-09 03:09 PM
Original message
Bourgeois Underground - Why Class Matters
 Edited on Tue Nov-10-09 03:12 PM by Political Heretic
Since no one bothered to read past the opening statement previously, I decided to highlight some points about class.

I'm convinced that Democratic Underground is, by large, majority populated by white, upper middle class, Americans. In many cases I imagine they are upper middle class in literal income and Bourgeois in mindset. But in other cases they are simply Bourgeois in mindset regardless of literal income.
The Bourgeois become attached to their lifestyle, or to the dream that one day they might become rulers, and thus support and side with those that rule.

Establishment democrats as easily ignore their guilty consciences as they continue to feed the privileged elite first, throw scraps and crumbs to the "middle class," and let the poor people starve. From that middle class that at least get scraps it targets women, gays, and minorities and says "you don't want to starve do you? Then be our whipping boys.

Bourgeois Underground has become the place for the defense of the establishment, and of the system that feeds the privileged, gives scraps and trash to the middle class, and starves and marginalizes the poor.

The establishment looks to the workers and says, we will accomplish our top priorities for our privileged interests on your backs, by throwing away your rights, negotiating away your freedom, by offering our enemies your demotion to second class status as a bargaining chip. And then, we have accomplished our agenda for our premier constituency of wealth, privilege and power - we promise we'll get back to you and make it right.

And from the very poor they neither ask for anything nor give anything. They would simply prefer to ignore the undesirables.

When someone comes along and starts speaking about these realities, it stings the guilty consciences of establishment democrat apologists - usually - but not always - people in the upper middle class, who somewhere deep down inside realize they are betraying their own class and their poor to be the cheerleaders of the privileged.

Guilty consciences drive a lot of inflammatory posting around here. Guilty consciences, rational minds and feeling hearts are not easily quieted when one sells out to privilege in exchange for a pretend sense that you actually exist above your status.

Democratic Underground which is, I promise you, overwhelmingly white and overwhelmingly upper middle class in income and most certainly predominantly Bourgeois in sentiment should just be renamed Bourgeois Underground. 

HamdenRice  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-11-09 08:49 AM
Response to Original message
176. Rolling on the floor laught my ass off!
 Edited on Wed Nov-11-09 08:57 AM by HamdenRice
Political Heretic
Gender male
City Eugene
State Oregon
Country United States
Hobby Mountain Biking, Computers, Philosophical / Political Literature
Comment About me:
Bachelors Degree in Philosophy (BA)
Masters Degree in Social Work (MSW)
Focus on macro public policy and political economy

To PHD or not to PHD - that is the question...

I have been:
--Project Manager, Fortune 100 Company
Bachelors Degree in Philosophy (BA)
Masters Degree in Social Work (MSW)

<end quote>

So comrade, how's the progress on the assembly line?

Hey, did you ever hear what Lenin had to say about multi-ton presses?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=389&topic_id=6982965#6984592
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline thundley4

Re: Bourgeois Underground - Why Class Matters
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 12:41:03 PM »
I had read through some of that thread. I thought the OP was calling them a bunch of limousine liberals.  :hyper:

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 12:50:07 PM »
I'm convinced that Democratic Underground is populated almost exclusively by people with no class.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 12:55:25 PM »
The Political Heretic primitive could have more quickly summed it up this way; When they voted for "change" what they really wanted was for everyone else to change and they could keep doing the same things they had been.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 01:19:29 PM »
"Class" and "DU" don't belong in the same sentence without some form of language expressing a negative correlation.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:54:20 PM »
I'm convinced that Democratic Underground is populated almost exclusively by people with no class.

'What Does DU and Veterans Day have in common ? No Class.'

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
The politically-heretical primitive is right, absolutely right.

It's been at least a couple of years, but one time there was a survey (not a primitive poll) taken of Skins's island, and it turned out that 98.7% or 97.8%, or whatever, of the primitives are white.

As for their socioeconomic status, obviously a substantial plurality of primitives are affluent spoiled never-grew-up kids.

Pedro Picasso comes immediately to mind, as does the kaput primitive, the "kpete" primitive.  And there's the Bostonian Drunkard, the Swanson TV dinner primitive, the skumbag primitive, Oscar Wilde, Leona Helmsley of DUmmieland the "flyarm" primitive, the grazing primitive the "jgraz" primitive, and far too many more to recall at the moment.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 06:02:50 PM »
The politically-heretical primitive is right, absolutely right.

It's been at least a couple of years, but one time there was a survey (not a primitive poll) taken of Skins's island, and it turned out that 98.7% or 97.8%, or whatever, of the primitives are white.

As for their socioeconomic status, obviously a substantial plurality of primitives are affluent spoiled never-grew-up kids.

Pedro Picasso comes immediately to mind, as does the kaput primitive, the "kpete" primitive.  And there's the Bostonian Drunkard, the Swanson TV dinner primitive, the skumbag primitive, Oscar Wilde, Leona Helmsley of DUmmieland the "flyarm" primitive, the grazing primitive the "jgraz" primitive, and far too many more to recall at the moment.

Isn't the subway feline a trust fund child?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 06:38:41 PM »
Isn't the subway feline a trust fund child?

I used to think so, but apparently not.

It's a learning process, getting to know the primitives.

The subway cat appears to have come from an "average" background, the primary household "investment" being in.....a house in an affluent suburb of Baltimore.

But other than that, it doesn't appears there's much money involved.

One has no idea what the subway cat's father did for a living.

The subway cat has an older sister, apparently a big 'un, but other than that, normal, and there's been rare incidents where the subway cat's talked about this sister, who appears the usual money problems of the lower middle class.

The subway cat lived with her mother in the family-owned house, but then later her mother, discombobulated by the company the subway cat was keeping, and bringing home, moved out, and into a rented place elsewhere in Baltimore, leaving the house to the subway cat and her fellow dregs.

There's the suggestion of some money, but not like it's a whole lot of money.

Because the subway cat depends upon the taxpayer (food stamps, medical care), one suspects no trust fund is involved.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 06:55:56 PM »
The DUmmie OP is back for Round II.
Bourgeois Underground - Why Class Matters PART 2

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 08:54:22 PM »
I will give him credit for pointing out to them that they want to sit in ivory towers and dictate to others how to live their lives.  They don't like it because arrogant individuals don't like being shown a mirror, their arrogance coming from falsely believing they're intelligent.  The problem with the primitives remains; if they're as intelligent as they believe themselves to be, why can't they always get their way?  They won't answer this question.  I've tried it on them before and the best they can do is the typical "I didn't claim I was intellgent, it's just that I'm smarter than you" nonsense.  If they would just accept the fact that they view themselves as being smart, and then try and answer why they con't seem to get their way all the time, it would go a long way towards allowing them to understand why their worthless.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.