Author Topic: Huckabee Admits: He Will Accept Veep Spot  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
Huckabee Admits: He Will Accept Veep Spot
« on: February 06, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »
Huckabee Admits: He Will Accept Veep Spot
Photo of Mark Finkelstein.
By Mark Finkelstein | February 6, 2008 - 08:34 ET

Well surprise, surprise!

He danced the complete Kabuki, right down to the mandatory move about considering John McCain for his VP slot. But at the end of the day, Mike Huckabee has admitted the obvious: he'll take the Veep nomination if John McCain offers it.

Huckabee was a guest on this morning's Today.

View video here.

MIKE HUCKABEE: Matt, we're still in this until somebody gets 1,191 delegates, the magic number to become the nominee. And until that happens, just ask the New York Giants what can happen near the end of the game.

MATT LAUER: Yeah, but you did not close the door on me there, Governor. Would you say this morning that you would consider at some point, if you don't think you can reach that magic number of delegates, would you consider the vice-presidential slot on a ticket with John McCain?

HUCKABEE: Well, let's go ahead and be honest now. Nobody ever wants the vice-president's job; nobody ever turns it down.

I figured this would happen.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/mark-finkelstein/2008/02/06/huckabee-nobody-ever-turns-down-vp-job
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Bh

• Just Off Probation
Re: Huckabee Admits: He Will Accept Veep Spot
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 07:08:39 PM »
What's sad is Huckabee (supposedly a devout man) is putting his personal political career before loyalty to party and especially conservatives. He knows he can't win, he knows he's blocking Romney, but he's angling for VP. His karma payback will be when McCain throws him under the bus and goes with Charlie Crist of Florida.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 07:18:33 PM »
What's sad is Huckabee (supposedly a devout man) is putting his personal political career before loyalty to party and especially conservatives. He knows he can't win, he knows he's blocking Romney, but he's angling for VP. His karma payback will be when McCain throws him under the bus and goes with Charlie Crist of Florida.

Or Texas' own Kay Bailey Hutchison.   Kay is almost...not quite...but almost the female McCain.  Her nomination would curl a few hairlips.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 07:20:55 PM »
Crist, possibly.... Hutchison? Wow... that would be a shocker.

I'm holding out for Lieberman for his VP ... he is the ultimate stick in the eye to the entire republic. Its so all encompassing in its offensiveness, its sure to be a winner of a ticket!

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 07:25:02 PM »

I'm holding out for Lieberman for his VP ... he is the ultimate stick in the eye to the entire republic. Its so all encompassing in its offensiveness, its sure to be a winner of a ticket!

Lieberman is not going to happen.  There won't be any party mixers.  As much as Liberman is admired for splitting with the dem party to get reelected, he is still a liberal democrat.  McCain cannot afford baggage like Lieberman while trying to convince us of his conservative credentials. 

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 08:00:35 PM »
Or Texas' own Kay Bailey Hutchison.   Kay is almost...not quite...but almost the female McCain.  Her nomination would curl a few hairlips.

Hey there ya' go! I was wondering how McCain would counter the "Just Another Old White Man" image.
Brilliant!  :cheersmate:
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 08:21:25 PM »

Lieberman is not going to happen.  There won't be any party mixers.  As much as Liberman is admired for splitting with the dem party to get reelected, he is still a liberal democrat.  McCain cannot afford baggage like Lieberman while trying to convince us of his conservative credentials. 

maybe McCain/Lieberman could run on the Dem side for a while?  :-)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 08:35:36 PM »
Lieberman said he would not take a VP spot.
He said he did it once, doesn't want to do it again, and likes the job he has now.

And Rudy is hanging around McCain like a lovesick girl. I think he would probably rather be VP anyways, he wants to be the next Dick Cheney.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 08:37:47 PM »
Dammit, I hate being right all the time.

http://www.conservativescave.com/index.php?topic=2247.0
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 08:39:21 PM »

Hey there ya' go! I was wondering how McCain would counter the "Just Another Old White Man" image.
Brilliant!  :cheersmate:

Bailey Hutchison on the ticket could dilute the power of the Magic Negro and/or the Tragic Lesbo.   Bailey Hutchinson is a real woman.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 08:41:57 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 07:46:32 AM »

I can't see McCain picking him, unless it's a pure deal for his delegates or he just has one of his irrational moments.  Huck only brings the Evangelicals, a sizeable proportion of whom are otherwise-Moderates (except on abortion) who would most likely vote for McCain in the general election over either leading Dem anyway.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2008, 08:31:35 AM »

I can't see McCain picking him, unless it's a pure deal for his delegates or he just has one of his irrational moments.  Huck only brings the Evangelicals, a sizeable proportion of whom are otherwise-Moderates (except on abortion) who would most likely vote for McCain in the general election over either leading Dem anyway.
I can see it happening for the same reasons you use.
I'm seeing quite a few folks who are Huck supporters talking about drastic action if Huckabee doesn't make it and McCain does. They're going as far as stating they'd vote Clinton or Obama if McCain is the choice put up by the repubs, as a form of protest toward the repub party for not offering up a "true conservative". McCain may decide he needs that leverage.
Personally, I'm thinking Mc will pick Rudy.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 09:42:22 AM »
Over time, it's been pretty rare for the Veep (especially in the GOP) to be one of the other Primary candidates.  The candidate usually picks someone that isn't likely to rise up and challenge them for the second term.  It's possible, of course.  Hard to say the Huckster looks a whole lot more Conservative than McCain, but I suppose pure social Conservatives see him that way.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 09:57:51 AM »
Strategically, McCain needs someone to win the south. Lieberman wouldn't do that by a long shot.

Since Huck won the south on Tuesday, I thought for sure, he'd be picking him to be his running mate.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 10:18:19 AM »
Strategically, McCain needs someone to win the south. Lieberman wouldn't do that by a long shot.

Since Huck won the south on Tuesday, I thought for sure, he'd be picking him to be his running mate.

Once again, KBH fills that need.  She is a strong Texan with a lot of support (though I am not one of her avid fans).

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 10:25:44 AM »

Once again, KBH fills that need.  She is a strong Texan with a lot of support (though I am not one of her avid fans).

I thought about this after I posted, that you mentioned her and the fact that she is from Texas....you say she is pretty much the female version of  McCain in which case, she's not got my support.

I will have to look her up and read about where she stands on issues.

BTW, where is the outcry about the Dems being 'racist' for not supporting Obama????
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 10:30:12 AM »

I thought about this after I posted, that you mentioned her and the fact that she is from Texas....you say she is pretty much the female version of  McCain in which case, she's not got my support.

I will have to look her up and read about where she stands on issues.

I'm a little too hard on KBH.  She pissed me off once with her support for abortion.  I hold a grudge. :)

BTW, where is the outcry about the Dems being 'racist' for not supporting Obama????

In dem circles, not supporting the Magic Negro means you are supporting the Tragic Lesbo, so it's a wash.  No racism involved.  It's all good. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 10:32:54 AM by Lord Undies »

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 12:24:49 PM »
Fred would never take it but he would be a good choice for Veep.

My nightmare scenario is the Magic Negro teaming up with the Tragic Lesbo. Would NEVER HAPPEN IN A MILLION YEARS BUT....that ticket would sink the GOP ticket. Libs wouldn't have to choose!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 12:33:46 PM »
Dixie, I think Hillary arrogantly told Obama that she would like to run as his Veep should  he win her out, and he rejected her  :rotf:

And, something tells me that Obama would decline running with her as her Veep.

Barack Obama

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 12:35:48 PM »
^LOL! They are both so power hungry that they can't see the forest for the trees! They could make a pact and one choose be run in four years. Silly Dems!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle