Author Topic: Rally for Romney  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Rally for Romney
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:36:11 PM »
Rally for Romney
Conservatives need to act now, before it is too late.

By Mark R. Levin

Let’s get the largely unspoken part of this out the way first. McCain is an intemperate, stubborn individual, much like Hillary Clinton. These are not good qualities to have in a president. As I watched him last night, I could see his personal contempt for Mitt Romney roiling under the surface. And why? Because Romney ran campaign ads that challenged McCain’s record? Is this the first campaign in which an opponent has run ads questioning another candidate’s record? That’s par for the course. To the best of my knowledge, Romney’s ads have not been personal. He has not even mentioned the Keating-Five to counter McCain's cheap shots. But the same cannot be said of McCain’s comments about Romney.

Of course, it’s one thing to overlook one or two issues where a candidate seeking the Republican nomination as a conservative might depart from conservative orthodoxy. But in McCain’s case, adherence is the exception to the rule — McCain-Feingold (restrictions on political speech), McCain-Kennedy (amnesty for illegal aliens), McCain-Kennedy-Edwards (trial lawyers’ bill of rights), McCain-Lieberman (global warming legislation), Gang of 14 (obstructing change to the filibuster rule for judicial nominations), the Bush tax cuts, and so forth. This is a record any liberal Democrat would proudly run on. Are we to overlook this record when selecting a Republican nominee to carry our message in the general election?

McCain has not won overwhelming pluralities, let alone majorities, in any of the primaries. A thirty-six-percent win in Florida doesn’t make a juggernaut. But the liberal media are promoting him now as the presumptive nominee. More and more establishment Republican officials are jumping on McCain’s bandwagon — the latest being Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has all but destroyed California’s Republican party.

Let’s face it, none of the candidates are perfect. They never are. But McCain is the least perfect of the viable candidates. The only one left standing who can honestly be said to share most of our conservative principles is Mitt Romney. I say this as someone who has not been an active Romney supporter. If conservatives don’t unite behind Romney at this stage, and become vocal in their support for him, then they will get McCain as their Republican nominee and probably a Democrat president. And in either case, we will have a deeply flawed president.

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NDEzMDYzZjBkMDNhYjk0ZjdhZmJlZWNkMWQ1NjI4MGI=
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Rally for Romney
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 01:47:55 PM »
I loathe John McCain.  Period.  I have loathed John McCain for years. 

This Tuesday will tell us what we need to know.   McCain, like that Clinton woman and that Magic Negro, is not qualified to be President of the United States.  If McCain winds up being the nominee, something is fishy. 

McCain is too old, too liberal, and just too plain nasty to be taken seriously by real conservatives and other normal people. 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »
Instapundit: Mitt Romney Talks Super Tuesday

We've already done our big get-to-know-you interview with Mitt Romney, but with Super Tuesday coming up in a couple of days and the race tight, we thought we'd catch up with him again.  We asked him about gun control -- he says he'll veto any gun control bills that cross his desk as President, including a renewal of the "assault weapon" ban, which is more than George W. Bush ever promised -- about the economy (and the Zubrin flexfuel plan), and about John McCain, and Ann Coulter's promise to campaign for Hillary if McCain is nominated. Plus, whether Romney is mean enough for politics. Can he pull off a turnaround?

podcast

download
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 07:06:22 PM »
Why Should We Shut Up?

McCain, frankly, has shown conservatives little but contempt over many years.  We had a caller from South Carolina mad at me in the last hour. He said, "You know what? They're wrong in the Washington Post.  They say you don't have any influence.  You have all kinds of influence.  You endorsed Thompson."  I didn't endorse Thompson, but he thought I did, in a de facto way, "and you're taking votes away from Huckabee." He was obviously the Huckabee supporter.  The point is, McCain got fewer votes -- 42% in 2000; 33% of the vote Saturday night, 2008 -- and he wasn't running against his two top challengers, once you get out of these states where independents can go in and vote in the Republican primary. 

Senator McCain's domestic record is not conservative, and we're being lectured by the media -- some who are hostile to conservatism, some who wear the conservative label -- to be quiet, to not be too hard on him, or whatever.  Those of us who have been here since the beginning of the program in 1988, you know we deal here in ideas.  Why should I be quiet about my ideas?  Why should I be quiet, or anybody else on the radio who happens to espouse what I believe? Why should we be quiet?  The primary is precisely the time to speak!  That's when this stuff gets aired and sorted out.  Here's what I've noted.  Governor Huckabee has reversed course on taxes, on illegal immigration. He has reversed course on law and order.  Why shouldn't we discuss this?  I mean, he made a major, major flip-flop on immigration. It didn't help him in South Carolina, and look what happened when he did that.  Many of you think Governor Huckabee is very conservative.  But when he did this flip-flop on immigration, what direction did he move?  He moved right.  His previous position was: tuition, illegals, kids stay, blah, blah, blah.  He vowed to send 'em all home, right before the South Carolina primary.  Huge, huge flip-flop.  Why should we be quiet about that? 

What the Drive-Bys and the Democrats desperately want is for there to be no conservative influence in the Republican Party at all, because they know  that if that happens, the Republican Party will never beat them.  Without conservatism in the Republican Party, the Republican Party is finished in terms of having chances, viable chances to win elections -- if the conservative base is driven out of it.  You can drive the conservative base out of the Republican Party by making sure that none of its candidates get nominated, that none of its candidates win primaries, or if they do win primaries, that big pieces designed to destroy them show up in the Drive-By Media.  You don't understand how we are hated as conservatives by the media and by Democrats.  They don't look at us as opponents they don't have to defeat.  They look at us as however they wish to describe us. You shouldn't be around.  Debate us?  That's beneath them!  We're like Chihuahuas, except the Chihuahuas that were yapping at their heels are up to their throats now, and they want us finished.  So when they start touting all these candidates that are not us, and that's why we get concerned here, and that's why we're not going to shut up, ladies and gentlemen.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_012108/content/01125109.guest.html

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 11:14:05 PM »
The Hucksters are starting to get ugly.  And they're starting to look an awful lot like the Ronbots...

Winning In The Land of Reagan

Big swings in short times have marked Campaign 2008, and an almost impossible-to-quantify-in-terms-of-impact new dynamic from the new media's role has overtaken MSM's ability to forecast results much less determine outcomes.

Here are three polls from California:  Reuters-CSpan/Zogby has Romney up 8 points.  Rasmussen has it tied.  SurveyUSA has McCain up 3.

All three show a tremendous rally to Romney as do polls from Georgia, Missouri and Tennessee.  The Huck voters are switching to Romney in order to make their vote count and to keep the GOP committed to a conservative agenda, but McCain has enormous Beltway support and an MSM force-field around his record.  Rush et al have been vocal throughout the day as they were last week, and will continue to be tomorrow, and Romney's campaign has gone straight on McCain on the immigration issue in California.

http://hughhewitt.townhall.com/blog/g/4dabe988-7af4-47e6-9547-82aea225740d